• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was quoting a figure I'm sure I saw on Rugby 360 last night. It or I might be wrong, but I suspect the SANZAAR figure would also be understated if they are quoting 4 only.

The SANZAAR figures are like for like though in that it includes all players. They are also the official stats that the competition pays Opta Sports to provide.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not sure if there's relevant threads, but Poite, Joubert and Owens have been appointed as the big cheeses for Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney respectively.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
cheika already pulled almost 50 players into camp. Is there a list of these players or anything? Would love to know who he's bringing in for depth. Yes it's just chats but still indicative as 50 means big names can still miss out.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
cheika already pulled almost 50 players into camp. Is there a list of these players or anything? Would love to know who he's bringing in for depth. Yes it's just chats but still indicative as 50 means big names can still miss out.

I saw that Taavao, Latu have been added to the 50 man squad. Absolutely shocking! I almost stopped reading into to the teams at that point. However a few new-ish squad members;

Weeks
Alalaatoa
Hunt
Nabuli
Vaea
Shipperley
English
Stirzacker

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I saw that Taavao, Latu have been added to the 50 man squad. Absolutely shocking! I almost stopped reading into to the teams at that point. However a few new-ish squad members;

Weeks
Alalaatoa
Hunt
Nabuli
Vaea
Shipperley
English
Stirzacker

link?

This article just says:

Among the 45 players were a few surprises; Brumbies prop Alan Ala'alatoa, Rebels halfback Nic Stirzaker and winger Sefanaia Naivalu, and Reds backs Karmichael Hunt and Eto Nabuli.
Tolu Latu, Dom Shipperley and Lopeti Tomani were also in attendance.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That 50 man squad doesn't include any Force players as they couldn't make it due to their travel schedule, so there's going to be a lot of players there unlikely to see a Wallaby jersey..........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would normally agree, but Taavao - really?

You just made my point - there are always players at these that any number of people don't like / can't understand, and yet the Wallabies team, when selected, contains none of them. It's a big look-see / player booster function etc... Ultimately, if any players take something positive away, all the better. Who really cares?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Someone has to hold the tackle bags, sit on the scrum machine, and lace up the boots of the Select Few.

Might as well be Ta'avao. He may even learn something about scrummaging while he is there.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Someone has to hold the tackle bags, sit on the scrum machine, and lace up the boots of the Select Few.

Might as well be Ta'avao. He may even learn something about scrummaging while he is there.

Yeps, just Chubby doing a favour for the Tahs.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
You just made my point - there are always players at these that any number of people don't like / can't understand, and yet the Wallabies team, when selected, contains none of them. It's a big look-see / player booster function etc. Ultimately, if any players take something positive away, all the better. Who really cares?

In Taavao's case, I wouldn't have any concern unless he is there at the expense of a better performing, higher potential THP from another side. Can we be sure that Talakai and Makin for two are in the squad?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can anyone find a single article that mentions that Ta'avao was there?

All the articles I have read about the camp on Cockatoo Island that mention players in attendance haven't mentioned Ta'avao.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can anyone find a single article that mentions that Ta'avao was there?

All the articles I have read about the camp on Cockatoo Island that mention players in attendance haven't mentioned Ta'avao.

yeah agreed. Only intruder has suggested he's been picked and with no link to an article.

I think we can all give it a rest until its been proven.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeah agreed. Only intruder has suggested he's been picked and with no link to an article.

It presents a good chance to get outraged about players being included who weren't actually included though.

I can't believe Tom Carter has been plucked from Shute Shield to play 12 for the Wallabies and coach the attack!!!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In Taavao's case, I wouldn't have any concern unless he is there at the expense of a better performing, higher potential THP from another side. Can we be sure that Talakai and Makin for two are in the squad?
I think you've got a pretty skewed view about what these get-togethers constitute. There are several in the Super season and many, many players are involved. It is not a playing squad in any shape or form. But continue to tilt at windmills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Also I can't believe we are getting outraged about Cheika selections, when history suggests he is shooting at 100% in this area.

We all ranted about Douglas, Giteau, Mitchell, Mumm etc when they were picked, only to become central players in our outstanding RWC campaign.

While Ta'avao might be a stretch, I am more than willing to give Cheik the benefit of the doubt when it comes to any and all left-field selection decisions.