• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A smokey but I can see Reid getting a call up to a Wallabies extended squad at some time this year. He gets through an insane amount of work, and is the type of aggressive and abrasive forward Cheika loves.

As is Sean McMahon. Cheika is singing his praises from the rooftops and I have no doubt in my mind we'll see the McPooper at some stage. The only problem is what to do with the fantastic Scott Fardy? I think an argument could be made that he would be more effective at lock than a lot of our current lock options.

The lineout would also be a problem, but I think that can be worked around with two jumping second rows, Sean jumping and Pocock / Hooper offering half a jumper each.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A smokey but I can see Reid getting a call up to a Wallabies extended squad at some time this year. He gets through an insane amount of work, and is the type of aggressive and abrasive forward Cheika loves.

As is Sean McMahon. Cheika is singing his praises from the rooftops and I have no doubt in my mind we'll see the McPooper at some stage. The only problem is what to do with the fantastic Scott Fardy? I think an argument could be made that he would be more effective at lock than a lot of our current lock options.

The lineout would also be a problem, but I think that can be worked around with two jumping second rows, Sean jumping and Pocock / Hooper offering half a jumper each.

I think the idea of Fardy playing lock is well and truly passed..........

He's no longer packing down there for the Brumbies, and he's in shit hot form playing at 6............

He'll continue to be one of the first names picked in the backrow.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the idea of Fardy playing lock is well and truly past....

He's no longer packing down there for the Brumbies, and he's in shit hot form playing at 6....

Whilst I would have loved to see Fardy at lock too, I agree with this post. That ship has sailed, he is a 6 now and also the incumbent and first choice wallabies 6 until some-one comes along plays out of their skin to supersede him and I can't see that happening this year.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the idea of Fardy playing lock is well and truly passed....

He's no longer packing down there for the Brumbies, and he's in shit hot form playing at 6....

The backrow?

Mate he's in the same category as Moore, Pocock and Folau, I doubt Chekia has even had the thought of not picking him flit across his mind.

If Kepu isn't being considered, then the starting pack has only one position up for grabs: the 4 jersey.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My tip is that we'll never see all three of Pocock, Hooper and McMahon on the field together. The Hurricanes tonight showed what they can do against a side that was playing two small backrowers in McMahon and Reid. Both played like trojans individually, but added little to the overall effectiveness of the forwards pack in the open. And the Rebels were well and truly dusted at lineout time with only Jones and Thomson jumping.

Sad to say but it is more likely that the opposition, especially the ABs will work out how to deal with the Pooper and we'll be forced to revert to the more customary backrow makeup before we'll ever see three 7s on together.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A lot of people think Bob sits at the right hand of the big fella - but it is interesting his take on Hooper's performances this year. Even I was mildly surprised.

Especially when Kafer just said he's wrong, and that Hooper has had a solid start to the season.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Especially when Kafer just said he's wrong, and that Hooper has had a solid start to the season.

Stephen Moore got stuck right into him in the presser after the game. Didn't mention him by name, but said the comments were disgraceful.

Reactions: mst

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Stephen Moore got stuck right into him in the presser after the game. Didn't mention him by name, but said the comments were disgraceful.

Bob's stuck in the same narrow mindset as many. Many have an idea how they think a certain position must play and cannot countenance a coach playing someone differently. Witness how Cheika used Hooper and Pocock at international level as a two-headed Hydra, rather than 2 attack dogs doing the same thing. For whatever it's worth, the Tahs seem to not be placing much emphasis on having a strong over the ball presence - if they attack the breakdown they seem to try to counter-ruck primarily. Maybe this is flawed tactics, maybe not, but clearly the way they are choosing to play. Cheika made it work; the accuracy is wanting this year.
Hooper's doing well enough at what he does, but he, and many of the Tahs pack are not doing what they are supposed to be doing at the level they ought.
Given his history, I'd back him to perform at Test level as usual, and I'd back Cheika to know what he wants from him and how to get it. And what Cheika probably wants is not what McMahon, Gill and Hodgson necessarily do so well.

Reactions: TKO

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I thought I'd preface this by saying that Kuridrani is the rightful first choice Wallabies 13.

That being said, the game on the weekend was another example of why he is better served shifting further infield, and why I am gradually coming around to the Bob Dwyer school of thought that you need someone more sleight of foot who can move better laterally if caught out defensively.

The first two Waratahs tries really exposed him defensively. Robinson's try was the exploitation of a turnover and 4 on 2 mismatch and while Kuridrani was not wholely to blame for the try, his propensity to shoot up out of the line to make a big hit removed one defender from the action.

Similarly with the Folau try, he rushed out of the line and was caught in no man's land, compromising the Brumbies defence. Jockeying at least would allow him to remain involved in the defence if the Tahs create a linebreak.

Now maybe I am being too critical of Kuridrani because he is just fulfilling the role required of him in the rush defence system. But I just hope his defensive decision-making improves because it is a lingering liability for the Wallabies not just the Brumbies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I thought I'd preface this by saying that Kuridrani is the rightful first choice Wallabies 13.

That being said, the game on the weekend was another example of why he is better served shifting further infield, and why I am gradually coming around to the Bob Dwyer school of thought that you need someone more sleight of foot who can move better laterally if caught out defensively.

The first two Waratahs tries really exposed him defensively. Robinson's try was the exploitation of a turnover and 4 on 2 mismatch and while Kuridrani was not wholely to blame for the try, his propensity to shoot up out of the line to make a big hit removed one defender from the action.

Similarly with the Folau try, he rushed out of the line and was caught in no man's land, compromising the Brumbies defence. Jockeying at least would allow him to remain involved in the defence if the Tahs create a linebreak.

Now maybe I am being too critical of Kuridrani because he is just fulfilling the role required of him in the rush defence system. But I just hope his defensive decision-making improves because it is a lingering liability for the Wallabies not just the Brumbies.

I don't think rushing out of the line is a Kuridrani 'weakness'. It's a deliberate tactic employed by the Brumbies - one man rushing to defuse the attack. It was Kuridani's turn that time and it didn't work. On another play it might have been To'omua's turn and he'd be the one potentially left stranded by the effective counter-measure of getting the ball through the hands more quickly.

That's the risk of the strategy: if you get past the rushing defender then you have a man-on advantage and fast ball to the wide runner to exploit it.

"One man rushing" sounds quite Zen-like.