• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Well it depends what you mean as "ball skills required for the position". If you want your 12 fix the inside defense, be able to turn the ball back inside or outside to runners off his hip, pull it behind to the full back as well as offload then I would say the Kuridrani does indeed have good enough hands. If you want your 12 to step in and throw flat 20m passes at a sprint then I would say he does not (but then again, arguably neither does SBW, De Allende etc...)

It depends what role you want your 12 to play, and whether you play someone like Beale at 15 and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing like we used to for example

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As much I think Bob is a rugby genius I don't agree with with him about TK at 12. I've banged on before about having the balance of a ball player/passer and a crasher in the centres, so if Tevita plays 12 who then plays outside centre?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As much I think Bob is a rugby genius I don't agree with with him about TK at 12. I've banged on before about having the balance of a ball player/passer and a crasher in the centres, so if Tevita plays 12 who then plays outside centre?

Folau. With Beale at 15.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Which regular squad members won't be available due to injury? Speight? Douglas? TPN? Horne etc?

Just Douglas I believe and I'd guess Speight will be involved with the Aussie 7s (assuming he has regained fitness).

TPN is expected to play this weekend against the Force. He almost returned against the Brumbies.

Horne is still a couple of weeks away I think.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

In the Dwyer system, the ball player plays at 13. The argument is that this gets a playmaker closer to the outside channels, where a break is more lilely to occur. The first receiver then has the choice of passing to the crash 12 or to the wider receiver. In fairness to Dwyer this isn't particularly about Kuridrani. He championed the system before several first-tier nations took it up.

It certainly isn't Gatlandball, as some have suggested here. It's about playing a wider game. Dwyer's philosophy of attacking rugby is as far from Warren Gatland's as it is possible to be.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In the Dwyer system, the ball player plays at 13. The argument is that this gets a playmaker closer to the outside channels, where a break is more lilely to occur. The first receiver then has the choice of passing to the crash 12 or to the wider receiver. In fairness to Dwyer this isn't particularly about Kuridrani. He championed the system before several first-tier nations took it up.

It certainly isn't Gatlandball, as some have suggested here. It's about playing a wider game. Dwyer's philosophy of attacking rugby is as far from Warren Gatland's as it is possible to be.

Not disputing that and in general I think Bob's philosophies are spot on, but my question remains: if we're going to play a crasher at 12 (like TK), who do we play at 13? The outside centre position is a very hard one defensively, so someone who can tackle and read the play effectively is key. Then there is the ability to put others into space and break the line. I know we saw Izzy at 13 for the Tahs on the weekend, but I don't know that I'd be playing him there for the Wallabies this season. Other options might be Hunt maybe?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
In that situation, if a playmaker is then required at 13, I'd go with Lealiifano, assuming he's not needed at 10 of course.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Not disputing that and in general I think Bob's philosophies are spot on, but my question remains: if we're going to play a crasher at 12 (like TK), who do we play at 13? The outside centre position is a very hard one defensively, so someone who can tackle and read the play effectively is key. Then there is the ability to put others into space and break the line. I know we saw Izzy at 13 for the Tahs on the weekend, but I don't know that I'd be playing him there for the Wallabies this season. Other options might be Hunt maybe?

Sorry Brown Hornet I wasn't putting words in your mouth there. :)

Yes, Hunt would be good. Or Lilo as Brumby Runner suggests. Dwyer himself was banging on about Beale at 13 for a while. Generally speaking, he seems to want a fast man with excellent hands rather than an out-and-out playmaker.

A problem with Folau there is that when he isn't fully committed he can be a bit of a klutz.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There is nothing wrong with playing a line bending 12 and a more rounded 13 (IMO) but that isn't the structure we used last year and I can't see why Cheika will suddenly change tack. Maybe if we'd crashed out of the WC, but given we made the final I'm expecting we stick we a second 5 at 12 & ball runner at 13 (Kuridrani).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sorry Brown Hornet I wasn't putting words in your mouth there. :)

Yes, Hunt would be good. Or Lilo as Brumby Runner suggests. Dwyer himself was banging on about Beale at 13 for a while. Generally speaking, he seems to want a fast man with excellent hands rather than an out-and-out playmaker.

A problem with Folau there is that when he isn't fully committed he can be a bit of a klutz.

Agreed on all fronts. I don't think Kurtley would make a good 13 because his defence isn't good enough and certainly not at test level. On attack he'd probably be dynamite but it'd have to be to make up for all the points we'd leak with him defending that channel. Izzy could develop into a test level outside centre but he'll require a lot more time in the position and besides he's one of the top couple of fullbacks in the world, so why switch him?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There is nothing wrong with playing a line bending 12 and a more rounded 13 (IMO) but that isn't the structure we used last year and I can't see why Cheika will suddenly change tack. Maybe if we'd crashed out of the WC, but given we made the final I'm expecting we stick we a second 5 at 12 & ball runner at 13 (Kuridrani).

Indeed, especially if you look at the success of Nonu and Smith for the All Blacks. What made that combination so successful though was Nonu's massive improvement over the years with his passing and footwork. He went from being a blunt instrument to a whole lot more in his career.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Indeed, especially if you look at the success of Nonu and Smith for the All Blacks. What made that combination so successful though was Nonu's massive improvement over the years with his passing and footwork. He went from being a blunt instrument to a whole lot more in his career.
When I first wrote my post, I actually had typed 'like the All Blacks did with Nonu & Smith' but I thought that was really underselling Nonu's all round game, so I took that out before I posted it.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nonu and Smith was still arguably the best combo in the World, even when Nonu was largely crash balling.

His development in the back half/two thirds of his career simply made the two unstoppable.

"Big" 12, creative 13 would work regardless of back 3 combination. Creative 12, "Big" 13 also works. "Big" 12, "Big" 13 and Creative 12, Creative 13 depend heavily on the back 3 to compensate.

12 Kuridrani, 13 Folau could probably work. It would likely need Beale at Fullback and DHP on the wing (probably with Tomane on the other one) to work to full potential though.

Regardless, the 2nd 5/8th system is working well for you guys, based on player ability and formline, both of individuals and the team at International level.

If you had say 4-6 different centres (stylistically) with a ball hairs worth of talent splitting them, then playing around would be justified. Scotland have fiddled around with Horne, Bennett, Dunbar, Scott and Taylor for just that reason.

But the international potential centers all look to fit in that "big" 13 (Kuridrani, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kerevi etc.), creative 12 (Giteau, Lilo, To'omua, Beale etc.). Why look to force that system.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah H35, I still favour the ball playing 12 and crashing 13, like we had at the RWC. No reason to change that formation and we've got several blokes who can play that kind of role at 12.