• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am not really comfortable with Cheika's habit of parachuting in recruits from OS - but you would have to say it was pretty successful last year. Giteau, Douglas, Mitchell and Mumm all justified their inclusion.

The other thing is that Houston is a different style of player to anyone else we currently have available for the number 8 spot. Cheika clearly knows what we wants from a team and goes after players who can deliver that style of rugby.

Personally I haven't seen enough of him lately to know if his form warrants selection, but Cheika has enough brownie points with me for me to suck it and see.

I feel sorry for Curtis Browning though. I can't see him sticking around for Qld in light of this.

Edit: interesting though that he has played 27 of 28 games this season for Bath. If he now go straight into Super Rugby and the test squad he isn't getting much of a break.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't read anything in to any curve ball selections made today. No-one is going to be named at the 'expense' of anyone else, there's no set parameters as to the number of players in this squad. So if (for e.g.) Holloway isn't named it's because he was never going to be. It's already been stated that it will include players not considered for the England tests such as Douglas and Genia, it's going to be about bringing/keeping players into the mould for the future. Read a lot into the selections in the shaved down version at the end of next week, not this one.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I did wonder about the size/context of the squad. It will still be very interesting to see who some of the inclusions/exclusions are.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
No.

Our depth at 8 has been really poor for several years as well - especially in terms of the type of player Cheika wants in that position.

With Vaea gone there's really not another Number 8 in Australia that can fill in as the roleplayer that Cheika likely wants at 8 if Pocock or Hooper get injured.

Holloway, Cottrell, MCcalman and even Browning would be preferred options... Houston is at the ass end of a career. I'd even prefer to bring Timani in at 8 if there were injuries than to have someone who yo-yo'd between being solid to completely useless.
Frankly I think it's a shame they are bringing him back when Browning is just coming into his own. Basically asking him to leave.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't read anything in to any curve ball selections made today. No-one is going to be named at the 'expense' of anyone else, there's no set parameters as to the number of players in this squad. So if (for e.g.) Holloway isn't named it's because he was never going to be. It's already been stated that it will include players not considered for the England tests such as Douglas and Genia, it's going to be about bringing/keeping players into the mould for the future. Read a lot into the selections in the shaved down version at the end of next week, not this one.

I think your right about it being a huge extended squad. But I disagree with your example about Holloway. If he is not named he still has a very good chance of being picked next year - if he continues to play the way he does.

I think people are forgetting this is really Holloway's first full season of playing super rugby. A couple of starts off the bench previously don't really count.

Asking him to back it up again for another year isn't that unfair.

Maybe picking a player with 2-3 good NH rugby seasons over him is a bit unfair but that is yet to be confirmed and I can't really make any accurate assumptions given I haven't seen Houston play up North - maybe he is absolutely dominating, Cheika's selections have been on the money in the past.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Sorry Seb, you misunderstood. For a start it's only an example, I wasn't implying that he won't be picked, I just used him because others had specifically mentioned him. What I meant was that if he doesn't get picked it's not because Houston was picked in his place, it's just that he wasn't going to be picked in this squad anyway.

Personally I think he will be picked and should be, but if he doesn't it's probably because his arm is in a sling, not because of Leroy Houston.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just think dragging players back from overseas is fine IF WE ARE DEFICIENT in that position.

We are not at Number 8 - either Pocock or Holloway or McCalman would and should be, preferred over Leroy

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just think dragging players back from overseas is fine IF WE ARE DEFICIENT in that position.

We are not at Number 8 - either Pocock or Holloway or McCalman would and should be, preferred over Leroy

Holloway and McCalman play such a similar style though. Leroy apparently offers something different. I saw a poster earlier compare him to Vaea.

I don't have any issues with bringing in a player to the extended squad who offers something different.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd say we are not that strong at 8 right now with Pocock really a 7, Holloway not quite there and McCalman not likely to set the world on fire all of a sudden.
Houston is a capable 6 as well and a pretty decent lineout option. If one of Hooper, Pocock or Fardy went down he wouldn't be a bad option in the back row.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Holloway and McCalman play such a similar style though. Leroy apparently offers something different. I saw a poster earlier compare him to Vaea.

I don't have any issues with bringing in a player to the extended squad who offers something different.

since when?

McCalman does a load of tight work while Holloway works wider lines (some would say sea gulling)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
since when?

McCalman does a load of tight work while Holloway works wider lines (some would say sea gulling)

That is true. I guess I was thinking about athleticism - both are similar in that regard. Also both seem to just do their job and do it well without offering any real point of difference.

The main point still stands though, Leroy offers something completely different to both Holloway and McCalman.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Holloway's out for four months, so that brings that debate to an unfortunate end.

Be interesting to see if he's listed as 'players not considered due to injury' today.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think it's unlikely as he won't be able to train by the sounds of it. My understanding of the inclusion of Douglas and/or Genia is to see where they're at with their rehabilitation for the RC, Holloway won't have even started his! He'll be there at the EOYT one would think though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That is true. I guess I was thinking about athleticism - both are similar in that regard. Also both seem to just do their job and do it well without offering any real point of difference.

The main point still stands though, Leroy offers something completely different to both Holloway and McCalman.

and nothing we need at the moment, McCalman will be ample cover for Pocock

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The first squad named is going to have a lot more people in it than the final squad.

I think around 40 people will be named today and then 10 or more will be dropped after a week in camp.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's unlikely as he won't be able to train by the sounds of it. My understanding of the inclusion of Douglas and/or Genia is to see where they're at with their rehabilitation for the RC, Holloway won't have even started his! He'll be there at the EOYT one would think though.

I reckon Douglas will be in the real mix for RC but Genia would be lucky.

Phipps and Frisby will do the job

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Here's the squad.

39 will be whittled down after the first week apparently.
Wallabies squad for England Test series

Allan Ala'alatoa, Rory Arnold, Sam Carter, Adam Coleman, Scott Fardy, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Nick Frisby, Liam Gill, James Hanson, Mike Harris, Dane Haylett-Petty, Greg Holmes, Michael Hooper, Rob Horne, James Horwill, Leroy Houston, Karmichael Hunt, Sekope Kepu Samu Kerevi, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Ben McCalman, Sean McMahon Stephen Moore, Luke Morahan, Dean Mumm, Eto Nabuli, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Joe Powell, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, Will Skelton, James Slipper, Toby Smith