• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Simmons will be chosen at lock obviously.

Reckon Arnold will be the other.

12 will be the most interesting selection.

Cannot see James Horwill making the 23, which is a bit odd considering Chek gave him a free plane ride. Maybe the answer was to mentor the younger blokes

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah but Scrubber you're the king of letting pre-conceived notions get in the way of facts, so it's not surprising you can't see him making it.

Personally I think he shouldn't have been picked. Cheika erred last year going for both Skelton and Carter over him for the RWC. For England he should be looking at Arnold and Coleman ahead of him regardless of how well James is playing. Because he's overseas based and therefore not as available to the Wallaby set up, and secondly because of his age compared to theirs.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah but Scrubber you're the king of letting pre-conceived notions get in the way of facts, so it's not surprising you can't see him making it.

Personally I think he shouldn't have been picked. Cheika erred last year going for both Skelton and Carter over him for the RWC. For England he should be looking at Arnold and Coleman ahead of him regardless of how well James is playing. Because he's overseas based and therefore not as available to the Wallaby set up, and secondly because of his age compared to theirs.

confused post methinks.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Cannot see James Horwill making the 23, which is a bit odd considering Chek gave him a free plane ride. Maybe the answer was to mentor the younger blokes

I'd imagine experience will triumph for the first game. Limited preparation and game time means those that have been in this environment and played together will probably count more.

If we win the the first game, I can see Cheika letting his "hair" down a bit more and tinker with the squad a bit more with the rookies who would by that time been in the squad for around a month.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
From Rugby.com.au in an article referenceing the fact that Hunt is not training injured and Lealiifano is with his partner and not training

Attack coach Stephen Larkham said on Thursday morning that there were a number of combinations being trialled ahead of the Brisbane Test, with coaches set to come to a decision next week.

"We are and there are a number of combinations we’ve trialled," he said.

"Christian Lealiifano is one option, Karmichael Hunt, Kyle Godwin is up here... then there’s different combinations with Tevita (Kuridrani) and Israel (Folau).

Mind games or are we set for a surprise on Friday?

Full article at http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/06/02/02/18/hunt-sits-out-wallabies-training

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The fact that Lilo has been off with his newborn and Hunt is injured is probably why Godwin was brought into the squad.............

T

Tip

Because he's overseas based and therefore not as available to the Wallaby set up, and secondly because of his age compared to theirs.

He just turned 31 on Monday(Happy Birthday), and will be 34 by the time the WC comes around.

Considering our Second Rowers traditionally haven't peaked until they hit 30 (Sharpe, Mumm) I think it's naive to drop our second best line-out caller & jumper. Our lineout went from one of our strengths to one of our weaknesses during the World Cup because of Cheika's obsession Forwards(2nd rowers in particular) that can't jump (Pooper, Skelton, Douglas).

T

Tip

Re: 12 Jersey

Godwin really is the last man standing.

To'omua, Beale, Leali, Hunt, Harris,Lance... (Why no Hodge?)

It's a shame the coach doesn't consider Super Rugby's best Inside Centre as an Inside Centre.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

He just turned 31 on Monday(Happy Birthday), and will be 34 by the time the WC comes around.

Considering our Second Rowers traditionally haven't peaked until they hit 30 (Sharpe, Mumm) I think it's naive to drop our second best line-out caller & jumper. Our lineout went from one of our strengths to one of our weaknesses during the World Cup because of Cheika's obsession Forwards(2nd rowers in particular) that can't jump (Pooper, Skelton, Douglas).

Slightly off topic but I'd say Sharpe peaked early in his test career in the early 2000s. That 2003 WC and then the next couple of years was probably when he played his best footy and was in the top 4 locks in the world IMO.

Not that he was a bad player after that, but he never "got better with age" in terms of his output as a test player.

Mumm on the other hand has.

I think the selection of Horwill is an okay one given there really isn't any of that next wave demanding automatic selection because they're playing the house down ala Horwill when he first got on the radar.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Douglas can't jump? Seriously?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I went back and watched Horwills game for Quins vs Montpellier in the champions cup final. He was excellent, probably best forward on the field against a team containing Jannie and Bismarck du Plessis, akapusi Qera, fulgence oedrago, JL du Plessis and Paul Willemse (of the blue bulls last year), Nic white, cattraikillis etc.

Bossed the lineout, ran strongly, tackle after tackle after tackle and some nice touches in attach