• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not really comparable. The ARU's interests (success and popularity) are directly linked to the longevity of their star players. When one or two players being potentially injured/worn out could mean losing the RWC, it's understandable that ARU will pander to them/wrap them in cotton wool.

Whereas in RL, the Kangaroos aren't the pinnacle of the game, their success isn't a cornerstone of League's health. Buuuuut when you look at teams like the Storm, where losing a key player does directly affect them, they have rested players throughout the year (including Cooper Cronk).

Also evidently League games aren't as strenuous on the body as Union, as shown by the ridiculous amounts of games they play in a career.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not really comparable. The ARU's interests (success and popularity) are directly linked to the longevity of their star players. When one or two players being potentially injured/worn out could mean losing the RWC, it's understandable that ARU will pander to them/wrap them in cotton wool.

Whereas in RL, the Kangaroos aren't the pinnacle of the game, their success isn't a cornerstone of League's health. Buuuuut when you look at teams like the Storm, where losing a key player does directly affect them, they have rested players throughout the year (including Cooper Cronk).

Also evidently League games aren't as strenuous on the body as Union, as shown by the ridiculous amounts of games they play in a career.

A study into the brain injuries caused by the respective codes would be quite interesting. I suspect League is up there with NFL.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do league players really play that many more games in a career than union players?

I would have thought it would be similar. The total number of games in a season for top line players is pretty similar.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Do league players really play that many more games in a career than union players?

I would have thought it would be similar. The total number of games in a season for top line players is pretty similar.

I don't follow League too closely admittedly. But I know there are dozens of players who have played over 300 NRL games, this isn't including SOO or Kangaroos caps. I'd imagine Australia's most capped player across all tiers would be Stephen Moore with about 300 caps to his name yeah? But when you add in SOO and Kangaroos I think the top League players generally play about 100+ more than their Union counterparts. E.g. Cam Smith has played 456 representative games.

T

TOCC

Prior to the NRC they certainly did.. absolutely

I don’t doubt the workload of the top Wallabies once you factor in travel, but previously it was the Tier below them and emerging players who were lacking in the amount of rugby they were playing. Non-wallabies would play 15 Super Rugby games then a few club rugby games and then there season was over. If you were a bench Super Rugby player you could finish the year with sweet f-all game time.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That article is a complete cheap shot. Every pro sports player takes some time off at some point, Folau hasn't had a break since after the RWC and Pocock negotiated his pay to be spread over 3 years. The Mungoes have a non-existent representative season except for this year where there is a world cup and they have to take on the global powers of the ilk of PNG and Lebanon.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

At the longer career end I think there's a stark difference. Four quick examples of long serving rugby and League players I can recall off the top of my head:

Darren Lockyer, 456 professional matches from 1995-2011
Cameron Smith, 452 professional matches from 2002-2017
George Smith, 385 professional matches from 2000-2017
Richie McCaw, 327 professional matches from 1999-2015

Will be off by a few matches as I didn't include Barbarians nor NRL All Stars matches. Reason being that Barbarians matches weren't included in the Wiki profiles and I CBF'd looking them up. Doesn't make any impact on the overall pattern, mind.

T

TOCC

I don't follow League too closely admittedly. But I know there are dozens of players who have played over 300 NRL games, this isn't including SOO or Kangaroos caps. I'd imagine Australia's most capped player across all tiers would be Stephen Moore with about 300 caps to his name yeah? But when you add in SOO and Kangaroos I think the top League players generally play about 100+ more than their Union counterparts. E.g. Cam Smith has played 456 representative games.

Stephen Moore is the third highest capped Super Rugby of all time and is in the top 10 for highest capped test players. His overall representative game figure is just over 300.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Looking at the Cam Smiths, Lockyers, G Smiths and Richie's is the best indicator on who plays more, because they're the extreme's.

You could say that all of those players were the best and 'luckiest' (I do acknowledge that luck undersells those guys who look after their body etc) in terms of injuries.

I honestly don't have an answer for who plays more, I think that's too difficult to gauge, especially when you factor in trial and club games (do any of the usual league players head back to their clubs to play finals or their equivalent to the NRC).

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Pocock signed a two year contract timed over three years. He's not being paid to have a year off.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
Folau is also taking the holiday out of his pocket. Chose not take up a season in Japan instead, which was in his contract.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We're all a bit too quick to dismiss the benefits of these extended breaks. McCaw and Carter each took a sabbatical in 2012 and 2014, which was instumental to keeping them around for the 2015 World Cup. They also built depth in position, which was key to the seamless transition into Cane and Barrett.

Pocock and Folau will both be the wrong side of 30 for Japan, and any hope of them being relevent in 2023 relies on good player management. Meanwhile, we've already discovered that McMahon and Dempsey are up to test standard, partly because of Pocock's absence, and now we get to see if it really is Folau-or-bust at fullback on an otherwise relatively unimportant EoYT.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Depth is crucial. If we are totally dependent on one player staying healthy in a key position, we are heading for a fall. At the moment, Foley, Hooper, Folau are all pretty much irreplaceable (others might disagree about Folau, but check his try scoring record).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Depth is crucial. If we are totally dependent on one player staying healthy in a key position, we are heading for a fall. At the moment, Foley, Hooper, Folau are all pretty much irreplaceable (others might disagree about Folau, but check his try scoring record).

I’m not arguing about Folau, and the FH scenario is simple stupidity <quickly adds “imvho”>.

But while we would certainly miss Hooper, we have plenty of sensible replacements were it necessary.

Actually, re Folau, I completely agree with your assessment, but I stop short regarding the 15 jersey.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Folau is also taking the holiday out of his pocket. Chose not take up a season in Japan instead, which was in his contract.

This is a classic bit of fake news. The Japanese season has changed so it is no longer a possibility for players to play that and super rugby if they also play for the Wallabies. He would have had to leave at the start of the Rugby Championship and that was never an option.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
This is a classic bit of fake news. The Japanese season has changed so it is no longer a possibility for players to play that and super rugby if they also play for the Wallabies. He would have had to leave at the start of the Rugby Championship and that was never an option.
Well he could have taken it last year. Its not fake news. Folau said he had an option to play in Japan (I guess last year) but is utilizing that option to take a break instead. Either way the RA were aware that they'd lose him for a few months during his contract. The current setup is much more beneficial for AU's rugby than having him double up on a season in Japan.

T

TOCC

Well he could have taken it last year. Its not fake news. Folau said he had an option to play in Japan (I guess last year) but is utilizing that option to take a break instead

Except the team he signed for was relegated from the Top League last year

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Except the team he signed for was relegated from the Top League last year
Well I still don't get the point. It was in his contract to leave for a few months and turn up for super rugby without a break and without any preparation. Instead he's taking one month holiday. I'd say the ARU got a preferred outcome to what they originally signed up for.