• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
is that not better than he plays, and leaves anyway?

If that was all it took to force him back he was going anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think it is as simple as that. These things often take time to resolve.

From Cheika's comments last week, it appears that the Tahs and Folau have agreed to terms on a new Super Rugby deal. Now the ball is in the ARU and Folau's court to work out an ARU contract.

I'm sure both sides will be keen to come to an agreement but as in every contract negotiation Folau's management will be looking for the highest possible pay and the ARU will be looking to save money. Agreeing to something in the middle that works for both sides could take time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think it is as simple as that. These things often take time to resolve.

From Cheika's comments last week, it appears that the Tahs and Folau have agreed to terms on a new Super Rugby deal. Now the ball is in the ARU and Folau's court to work out an ARU contract.

I'm sure both sides will be keen to come to an agreement but as in every contract negotiation Folau's management will be looking for the highest possible pay and the ARU will be looking to save money. Agreeing to something in the middle that works for both sides could take time.

Doesn't this just remind us how dysfunctional the contracting process is?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Doesn't this just remind us how dysfunctional the contracting process is?

I'm not really sure what the solution is.

I think it is worse if the ARU contract happens first because it means that key players can bleed the ARU for more money (which comes out of everyone's pocket) and then sign a smaller deal with their Super Rugby franchise (which only comes out of that team's pocket) thus allowing some Super Rugby sides to build a better squad by paying under market value whilst the player still makes pretty much the same money they otherwise would.

Personally I'd like to see the ARU contracts work on more of a reward for selection basis. Fewer guaranteed contracts and more contracts for the next season based on selection in the previous season. Whilst it could send a few players offshore for more of their salary guaranteed, at least it can be boiled down to a set formula rather than a situation where the favourites earn most of the money.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Stipend base for all players, then match fees if you're good enough. The ultimate incentive system.

Rugby has over priced players since Super League came along, and we've been paying for it ever since

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Not something I thought I'd see 12 months ago.

izzy.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Post #606. What "Honour" has IF gained at Sydney University?

Presumably he has paid registration and received his Uni shorts, socks and training singlet.

Surely "honours" are earned by doing something more than paying registration fees.

Has he actually taken the field in ANY game at Sydney University to warrant a claim of club honours?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Do you think that his Mum and Dad paid his rego fees, like La Jarse and I still do for the Junior Jarses?

The Uni Rugby web site tells us for $300 (Grade and colts), he will get a little bit more than shorts, socks, and training singlet.

The player registration fee for 2013 is $300 for both Grade and Colts players.

What you receive as a registered player:
• ARU Registration & Insurance
• Membership to Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness
• NSW Rugby Players Pass
• SUFC Playing shorts & socks
• SUFC Polo Shirt
• SUFC Warm Up T-Shirt
• Buildcorp training T-shirt
http://www.sydneyunirugby.com.au/season/registration.html

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Scratch that...

Whoever works in the media department of the ARU either smokes crack or didn't listen to the team annoucement.

It has AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) listed as a fuillback, Barnes as a centre and Lealiifano as a flyhalf.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Scratch that.

Whoever works in the media department of the ARU either smokes crack or didn't listen to the team annoucement.

It has AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) listed as a fuillback, Barnes as a centre and Lealiifano as a flyhalf.
At the press announcement he was named as a fullback

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The overworked and underpaid interns in the Marketing Department strike again.

It isn't too much to ask for a little accuracy and attention to detail is it?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Sounds like he is heading back to the NRL

ISRAEL Folau is on the verge of becoming the first sporting star in history to play three footy codes in three years.

We're hearing the Canterbury Bulldogs have all but reached an agreement for Folau to rejoin the NRL next year.

It would mean the new Wallaby recruit will have played AFL for the Giants, rugby union for the Waratahs and league for the Bulldogs in just three seasons.

The NRL deal has yet to be finalised, but Folau's manager has been in talks with the Dogs for a number of weeks.

All parties have been under pressure to keep negotiations secret in case it affected his chances of being chosen for the Wallabies. The talks are so far down the track that even NRL chief executive Dave Smith has been involved.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-on-israel-folau/story-fni3g67w-1226655123703

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The overworked and underpaid interns in the Marketing Department strike again.

It isn't too much to ask for a little accuracy and attention to detail is it?

Seems like it would be a stretch to even assume these interns watch rugby with those mistakes..

p.Tah

And how many times have we heard crap just like this about many high-profile players in the past few years? Really don't think it's worth paying heed to any of this stuff until Izzy or a rep says something. These articles always stink of editors trying to fill white space.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
"Has all but reached an agreement" That could mean anything.

The Barbarians all but made the Lions struggle last night.
Deans is all but everybody's favourite coach.

As was said let's wait until something official happens.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.