• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cross and Vuna never even came close to playing for Australia in League. Cross at least came relatively close to playing SOO, Cooper Vuna was never even close.

Tahu was different, played a few times for the Kangaroos, and quite a few SOO games. Tahu was never the best League centre though, he made his name in League playing wing outside of Gidley. Had a good season initially at the Eels at centre, but then spent too much time injured. Ended up having recurring injury problems, and seemingly had his head in the wrong place with some crazy behaviour on field. Wasted talent. He went to Union too late and too injury prone to really make a mark.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Oz is talking out of its bum. How on earth would it be possible for Folau to postpone his decision on whether to stay or go, until Deans' position is settled?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep, good call, then there's that SBW fella as well isn't there?

I was going on rugby league players who played for Australia, then went to union and didn't play for the Wallabies.

To pick one who actually works, Nathan Blacklock played two rugby league tests for Australia but never played for the Wallabies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
My observation about the poor batting average of FiveKick players who have not set the world on fire in Heavensgame was with respect to all Mungoballers who have transferred across the great divide, not just the ex Kangaroos who have made the switch.

As well as Tahu, Cross, and Vuna, if we move off shore you could look at Wing (Japanese International RU), Gower (Italian International RU), Gasnier, Schifcofske who didn't exactly set the world on fire. There but for the grace of God, it could have been A Johns being signed when he was well past his prime.

I'll concede that some mungoballers have performed with credit in our game, on the field. They have nearly all come with a fair share of off-field dramas. Big Dell and substances, Lote and contract negotiation and codes of conduct for example.

So far IF has not presented with "issues" apart from what may arise during current contract negotiations. Maybe his time in Combat Netball demungoed him.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
How lost is the guy that Deans has become such a big part of his decision? Very strange if true.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How lost is the guy that Deans has become such a big part of his decision? Very strange if true.

For most players, I think this is a loophole clause in a contract that gives you a potential out that you don't necessarily have to take.

They seem particularly common in rugby league.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They may not have been the worlds best rugby players, but few have been crap either. Most have been at least S15 standard units, many have held down test spots comfortably and a few bloody good test players.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It would be a huge shame to lose Izzy and who knows the Lions series might change his mind, but he has played league all his life taking aside the travel and monetary advantages of each code should it be a surprise he could want to go back to his life long love?

Personally I really hope the ARU are doing everything they can to keep him, does the Deans link mean he sees him as a key part of a world cup in 2015 but the incoming coach (Link?) has been sounded out and indicated he ain't all that special!

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
He's just being smart and praising the person who chooses the national team... Unlike Quade.

I suspect he would be saying the same regardless of who the coach was.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well, I assume that we all agree that the ARU should do absolutely everything in its power to retain Folau.

That was the best debut performance I have ever seen. I would be very, very surprised if it was not the best debut performance ever for the Wobbs, and maybe for any Test team in the history of the game.

SBW, a genuine loig superstar, took a couple of seasons to hit his straps. Izzy played wing for the first time in his first Test, and killed 'em.

I reckon he could move to 12 right now and make a very good fist of it. The guy's a natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.