• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Its now a high possibility of a Genia, Cooper Wallabies combo and with there speed of passing and quade's kick passing, Falou would be devastating and a massive threat to All teams.

It may just change my mind of him in Rugby.

Cant wait to see him playing with QC (Quade Cooper).... be awesome....lookout ABs...!

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Its now a high possibility of a Genia, Cooper Wallabies combo and with there speed of passing and quade's kick passing, Falou would be devastating and a massive threat to All teams.

It may just change my mind of him in Rugby.
Biggsy,not sure what you mean by this.I thought he was already fairly "devastating and a massive threat to All teams".Do you need him to be more so to think he's a good rugby player?
I like your use of the A in all.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If he was really happy with rugby and his mind was made up I cannot see why he doesn't come outand say so and sign a new contract. maybe he does want to go back to 5 kick and he is just waiting for some concessions being given by them. I certainly don't think they can offer him the money or the playing and travel experience that we can. Is it just about the dollars? Given the delay I think it may be and if so then, irrespective ofhow good he is and how good he can become, I just wish he would say so

It could be that he is very eager to sign with the Tahs. I am certain that these contracts would involve multiple parties and pages of fine print that 'need' to be dissected and agreed to etc. Even if they have the details nutted out in principle, it could still be weeks before all parties have read the final docs and signed etc. Until he has a signed contract he's not going to come out and say anything. :)

EDIT: And I'll add that he may be the most eager to have the contracts signed. Many people hold the default view that if a player signing hasn't been finalised it is the player that is being demanding/difficult/indecisive etc. when in reality it could be that the player is the most motivated to have the matter finalised and other delays are the real reason the deal hasn't been 'done'.

churchills cigar

Peter Burge (5)
If he was really happy with rugby and his mind was made up I cannot see why he doesn't come outand say so and sign a new contract. maybe he does want to go back to 5 kick and he is just waiting for some concessions being given by them. I certainly don't think they can offer him the money or the playing and travel experience that we can. Is it just about the dollars? Given the delay I think it may be and if so then, irrespective ofhow good he is and how good he can become, I just wish he would say so
On Rugby HQ last night I watched closely, utilising all the body language and NLP skills I possess and I saw nothing which told me he is even close to committing to rugby for 2014, in fact he was very good at evading the obvious and painting himself into a corner.
IMO, this bird is flying elsewhere.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
On Rugby HQ last night I watched closely, utilising all the body language and NLP skills I possess and I saw nothing which told me he is even close to committing to rugby for 2014, in fact he was very good at evading the obvious and painting himself into a corner.

To be honest I got a totally different impression I think he is just a shy bloke in general who doesn't like the limelight(I've had this opinion since meeting him at the start of the year), added to that Cheika has confirmed he agreed terms with the Tahs a while ago and most of the reports coming out of rugby at the moment are that he is going to stay.

Also if league had even a sniff of signing him I have no doubt they'd be crowing from the rooftops that a deal is all but done. Their silence over the past month just makes me think that the ARU, Tahs and Izzys management are crossing the t's and dotting the lower case J's.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hope not but the continuing silence around his commitment gives me doubt. Is he waiting to play the RC and then announce he is going back to Loig. If he was staying I believe that he would have said something by now

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Hope not but the continuing silence around his commitment gives me doubt. Is he waiting to play the RC and then announce he is going back to Loig. If he was staying I believe that he would have said something by now

He did say last night that he'd announce his future in the next 2 weeks so either way we'll know by the time the RC rolls around.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Eh. If he does that, he does that. And we get his services for a Rugby Championship. If he can manage the form he had against the Lions when he faces the All Blacks, he will have been be a fantastic investment even if he does go back to League.

Ultimately, he'll stay if he wants to and goes if he'd rather play League. All this hand-wringing about will he stay/will he go doesn't really matter. He's been paid for one season and has delivered results which certainly justify the money spent on him.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Biggsy,not sure what you mean by this.I thought he was already fairly "devastating and a massive threat to All teams".Do you need him to be more so to think he's a good rugby player?
I like your use of the A in all.

We all know he can run and he has played 2 1/2 test matches and only one of them he has played well when they got the ball to him.. Besides that he is not getting used.

Falou has mentioned the like of playing beside QC (Quade Cooper).And will be looking forward in playing rugby with QC (Quade Cooper) through the Rugby Championship. So much he will be singing with the Reds...:D

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yet the League masses, believe what they are told

It's not limited to league.

As a man that works in the media (very very low level, but maybe I'll be influential one day) I'd say the masses eat up everything if it's pedaled enough regardless of the subject. It's sad. The media creates a narrative and the public latches onto it.

This is not the best example but the first that comes to mind is that currently a message coming out of ARU head offices again-and-again is that we need to play rugby "the Australian way" (which is apparently running rugby).

Now we've ran the ball reasonably well at plenty of points in our history but the ABs have always been the best exponents of it. To some extent we've probably borrowed this style by virtue of plenty of NZ immigrants. But like I said, they're trying to create a viewpoint.

Media manipulation is interesting and I'd love to start a thread about it if people are keen.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's not limited to league.
<big snip>
Media manipulation is interesting and I'd love to start a thread about it if people are keen.
Absolutely Enforcer. Couldn't agree more with regard to the media.
What i was sort of getting at though is that the myth that all Union wingers are bored and frustrated being lucky to get a touch every couple of games though is perpetuated more by the players (when interviewed about what they think about player X coming back to league from union) and from fans.

But on your suggestion for a topic on media manipulation, that would generate a fair bit of interest I would've thought. I'd follow it anyway! :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Mate, here's a suggestion. If you want to progress up the ladder in the media world, do not underestimate the collective intelligence of the public. Don't overestimate it either, of course.

A lot of people use the media as entertainment, I think that is the confusing issue. They read the papers, or watch the tv news, for fun, not for education.

I have been around for a long, long, time, and I have certainly seen the media reinforcing public opinion, but I am not convinced that the media - per se - actually changes public opinion. Media reinforces public opinion, the simple fact is that in a commercially driven world the media has to appeal to their readership. Events change public opinion, and these days big events get huge coverage, not just in the old media, but in the new media, which is far more ubiquitous.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

Like a politician?

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I have been on high alert all season in readiness to hit "like" (which will be inadequate) with grievous harm to my PC to the first member who has the evidence to report that the big Izzy has committed to Heaven's Game.

Given that I heard earlier this year (from numerous sources that have usually been reliable in my circles), that he'll be playing for the Bulldogs in the NRL from 2014 onward, Folau's ongoing commitment to the Tahs could have profound & positive consequences for the Tahs long awaited Super title tilt.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I have been around for a long, long, time, and I have certainly seen the media reinforcing public opinion, but I am not convinced that the media - per se - actually changes public opinion. Media reinforces public opinion, the simple fact is that in a commercially driven world the media has to appeal to their readership. Events change public opinion, and these days big events get huge coverage, not just in the old media, but in the new media, which is far more ubiquitous.

The cynic in me would say that both are true.

Appealing to their readership doesn't necessarily mean that everything that they publish has to be correct, or that the readership has to agree with the media's viewpoint.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Yep that was my thoughts last night as well unfortunately.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mate, here's a suggestion. If you want to progress up the ladder in the media world, do not underestimate the collective intelligence of the public. Don't overestimate it either, of course.

I think the G&G public is generally quite intelligent when it comes to rugby. However, I think the rugby public in general are not.

At any rugby game there's sooo many people yelling out at the ref for correct calls, yelling at their own team for taking sensible kick options, and yelling at guys for "not trying". None of it is grounded in anything.

The same could be said for politics, cinema, or any other sport. People know their things (their job + hobby) but are generally ridiculously uninformed about everything else and are still looking to have options on it, so they turn to the mainstream mass media to get informed.

That's where opinions like, say, "the Reds play the most running style of rugby in Aus" come from. It's not 100% wrong but the Rebels run it far, far more often AND the Reds pick-and-drive more than any other Aussie side. Truth is in the eyes of the beholder and the media very much dictate that.

I think the media does create and change public opinion, but you're right it's not that simple. Often, they find a thread to tug and when it works, they tug at it hard.

If I decided to get every Fairfax journo together tomorrow and we were all going to write about the injustice of the rising price of cotton bath towels for the next month it wouldn't capture the public's imagination.

But, if I say decided to get every Fairfax journo to write about Japan's whaling practises for a month I'd get plenty of mainstream outrage, and that old chestnut has been out there for years.

I'd say you've been given your green light already! ;-) Go for it!

Gaggerlands own Gruen Transfer:)

I actually think a Gagger podcast/article surrounding the sporting media and the fallacies around it would be amazing. Maybe another night, it's getting late and I've got plenty of rugby to get through tomorrow.

Though, to further my point about media BS, at the game tonight Cooper Vuna got MotM. He scored two tries BUT he directly let in 2 from being a weak link in the slide defense and indirectly let in one from a horrendous kick return option (one of the worst I've seen at Super Rugby level).

Media perception V reality. I'm sure the highlights package will make it look like a game for the ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.