• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tom Carter - love him, loath him or something in between?

All joking aside, what is your true opinion of Tom Carter

• Great player - very much underestimated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good solid S14 player - would be happy to have him in my team

• Totally over-rated player - shouldnt be allowed near a club jersey let alone a S14 one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
can someone in the know please prepare a stats based statement to show that he is in fact better than every qldér that has ever played?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
cyclopath said:
Scarfy, you have no perspective with all the SNK man-love, I'm sorry to say. TC is a solid addition to any squad. But no more.

Nothing wrong with SNK that 5 years of psychotherapy and a nose job couldn't sort out.

Grandmaster Flash said:
Scott Staniforth

Excellent perspective, GF. I would pick Stani ahead of Carter - same ability set + twice as fast.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lets hope SNK comes back from his sabbatical a changed man (and a good player) :fishing

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Carter punches well above his limitations through attitude and effort.

Gagger said:
So who could in Australia right now, if you needed that game plan? T Carter and A Finger are the only two candidates.

Staniforth, Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tyrone Smith & Cross would all offer more at 12 today. A Finger may in the future get a chance.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If by limitations do you mean being the biggest player in the Tahs backline? One critism you could have of him is that he doesn't use his size to the best affect a lot of the time. He needs to watch what Ioane does in contact (and so do many others).

But he does what he does, and he shouldn't be hated for it. If people don't think he should be in the team, they should hate the coach for it, not Carter.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scotty said:
If by limitations do you mean being the biggest player in the Tahs backline? One critism you could have of him is that he doesn't use his size to the best affect a lot of the time. He needs to watch what Ioane does in contact (and so do many others).

But he does what he does, and he shouldn't be hated for it. If people don't think he should be in the team, they should hate the coach for it, not Carter.

No by limitations I mean he is just slow, with an inability to beat defenders or useful at putting his outsides into a better position.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
[/quote]

Staniforth, Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tyrone Smith & Cross would all offer more at 12 today. A Finger may in the future get a chance.

[/quote]

staniforth isnt australian, he is japanese and only here on a sabatical. Tyrone Smith is one dimensional and overrated to levels far above Carter, there is a reason he is on the bench and not playing but people on here piss there pants about him. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is an outside centre that i have never seen offer anything at 12 but someone feel free to point out otherwise and cross only operates as a 13 with space, his one move is to run outside his defender and if the tackle is made he often goes to ground to get a fast ruck going as if he were still playing league, defences worked him out yonks ago, just push him towards the sideline.

the thing with this thread is, carter is a 12 who has been playing out of position while horne got back to fitness. a man out of position who has done so little wrong makes him a great squad player as he plugs gaps and holes and offers up little wrong. the people who criticise his attack have every right to but he isnt doing that bad stats wise other than his offloads but having watched him all year, he hasnt had alot of ball in space which instantly brings that stat down.

is just like criticising a team that fails to score a bonus point in a tough match. by saying he doesnt do enough you give no credit to who he is up against or what type of ball he is getting. put genia behind a beaten pack and he doesnt deliver as good a pass as behind a dominant one. put carter outside barnes and he doesnt produce as good attack as he would outside someone in form, simple as that. he has scored two trys this year which puts him in second place on the reds list of most trys.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

[/quote]

staniforth isnt australian, he is japanese and only here on a sabatical. Tyrone Smith is one dimensional and overrated to levels far above Carter, there is a reason he is on the bench and not playing but people on here piss there pants about him. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is an outside centre that i have never seen offer anything at 12 but someone feel free to point out otherwise and cross only operates as a 13 with space, his one move is to run outside his defender and if the tackle is made he often goes to ground to get a fast ruck going as if he were still playing league, defences worked him out yonks ago, just push him towards the sideline.

the thing with this thread is, carter is a 12 who has been playing out of position while horne got back to fitness. a man out of position who has done so little wrong makes him a great squad player as he plugs gaps and holes and offers up little wrong. the people who criticise his attack have every right to but he isnt doing that bad stats wise other than his offloads but having watched him all year, he hasnt had alot of ball in space which instantly brings that stat down.

is just like criticising a team that fails to score a bonus point in a tough match. by saying he doesnt do enough you give no credit to who he is up against or what type of ball he is getting. put genia behind a beaten pack and he doesnt deliver as good a pass as behind a dominant one. put carter outside barnes and he doesnt produce as good attack as he would outside someone in form, simple as that. he has scored two trys this year which puts him in second place on the reds list of most trys.
[/quote]

Staniforth is a better 12 than Carter
Tyrone Smith is one dimensional and overrated, but still better than Carter as he has some pace
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played a test at 12 and went very well
Cross may have been a step too far

I am not just rating him on this season, his work in attack last season at 12 was just dire. His first notion is to tuck it under his arm get tackled, no ability to beat a S14 standard defender, not enough smarts to set up an outsider.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Carter strikes me as player with talant that hasn't found his niche in the game yet. A change of culture probably would of been good for him, but he re-signed with the Tahs. Was that a safety first decision from an uninspiring player? he strikes me as a good team man though. I think he has the potentual to go further than what he has.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
fatprop said:
Tyrone Smith is one dimensional and overrated, but still better than Carter as he has some pace

I am not just rating him on this season, his work in attack last season at 12 was just dire. His first notion is to tuck it under his arm get tackled, no ability to beat a S14 standard defender, not enough smarts to set up an outsider.

Did he? I seem to remember a herd of cattle being driven through the 10/12 channel by South Africa.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He was man of the match v the Barbarians a year or so ago playing 12. Had a blinder.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I wouldn't put Cross ahead of my Grandmother at 12 or 13 at the moment. He has looked nothing like a Wallaby. In fact he is so anonymous in most games I'm not even sure he has been playing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ruggo said:
Carter strikes me as player with talant that hasn't found his niche in the game yet.

Actually he'd be bettr at league.

:frans

Hang on a sec....

Now I se what's going on here.

It's a league conspiracy.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'd assumed we might want to keep players in position, rather than dragging a backline around. Why make a class 13 or 15 an average 12? Radical concept I know. I also don't remember us doing so well in any true international (everyone looked good against the BaaBaas) with any of those candidates at 12.

I don't think either Carter or Finger are up to international duty, but then they've never had a go either. They would however be the only S14 players in position who can play to that style.

Must admit I'd forgotten about Stanners, who I rate highly. It would seem he's been out of the frame for a while though, and isn't currently playing 12

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gagger said:
Having just watched the test last night, Greysie did a great job of trucking it up, belting blokes and chasing kicks. But the rest you're dreaming about. His one kick sailed 20m out on the full.

I actually remember one kick Grey put in against England. He was playing 10 because Lord Of The Dance had been banned by Eddie Jones for drinking more than the statistical average for 2.74 human beings one night and missing 36.4% of the next training session.

Grey thumped one ball waaaaaayyyy down the pitch, finding touch and completely shocking the English Wingers who were waiting to tackle someone after reading Eddie's game plan approximately 1.6 phases ahead of movement theta, pass alpha, ruck beta.

C

CanadianRugby

For me Tom Carter does some things very well, and isn't much use otherwise.

Takes the ball up hard, breaks tackles sometimes, gets over the gainline, defends the 12 channel, chases kicks. Actually I think he is underrated for the last thing, very people people actually chase kicks like they mean it.

However, I never for one second thought 13 was his position. His post moments this year were when he was running close to the 10 channel and knocking people over. His worst moments were trying to play all the angles closer to the 13/14 part of the field.

I think his biggest problem was he didn't fit the type of backs the 'Tahs need, or he wasn't being used well, which ever way you want to read it.

I would always have the guy on my bench, just maybe not in the starting 15.

Cyril Towers (30)
Cutter said:
wamberal said:
His older brother Ed got all the talent in the family. Tom is a carthorse.

Disagree. Charlie was the talent.

Tom is a solid squad player but not suited for expansive rugby. He would have done very well under John Connolly when Qld played 10 man rugby.

If you saw Charlie play, you must be seriously old, Cutter. No wonder you're so bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.