• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tom Carter - love him, loath him or something in between?

All joking aside, what is your true opinion of Tom Carter

• Great player - very much underestimated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good solid S14 player - would be happy to have him in my team

• Totally over-rated player - shouldnt be allowed near a club jersey let alone a S14 one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
One thing that never gets considered with Carter is what his team mates think of him. My impression is that they love him. He is the kind of player who is super aggressive and very good with the chat. He is always "up" and pushes the players around him. He trains the house down and pushes the younger players. Opponents absolutely hate him. All these things help a team "gel" and shouldn't be underestimated. I think these are the things that Link liked about him and they are at least part of the reason why he keeps getting picked. Some contributions can't be measured by stats. (oh, and did I mention that he was developed at Sydney Uni?)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
topo said:
One thing that never gets considered with Carter is what his team mates think of him. My impression is that they love him. He is the kind of player who is super aggressive and very good with the chat. He is always "up" and pushes the players around him. He trains the house down and pushes the younger players. Opponents absolutely hate him. All these things help a team "gel" and shouldn't be underestimated. I think these are the things that Link liked about him and they are at least part of the reason why he keeps getting picked. Some contributions can't be measured by stats. (oh, and did I mention that he was developed at Sydney Uni?)
It is a very good point, Topo, and one we all tend to underestimate. Of course most of us would have no insight into the machinations in the squad, and who likes / respects / hates who.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
By my calculations, Tom Carter is currently worth 0.95 Carters on the poll. Slightly subjective scale, but I think it's clear that he is ranked pretty close to the average Super 14 rugby player.

Strengths: straight running, tackle breaking (occasionally), defence, kick chase, team player.
Weaknesses: slower than Al Baxter, no silky skills or playmaking, The Monkey Cloud.

But will it be enough for Bruce?

C

chester

I can't understand the negative comments re Tom Carter. He goes out every week and gives his all for little credit. HAve any of you criticising his tendency to crash the ball up actualy thought that he is only doing what his coaches ask him to do? Rugby is a contact sport and only in the 13E's can you run around a guy to score a try. The defensive lines in S14 are very well organised nowadays so sometimes you need to bend the line.
Statistically he is very solid, one of the highest numer of tackles in the S14 whilst starting, and 2nd or 3rd highest in Tahs team for tackle busts and line breaks. Some one needs to roll there sleaves up and do some dirty work in the team and every good rugby side has solid players that do the unrecognised hard work. He was also playing out position at 13 due to injury. He should be at 12 but every coach at present is obsessed with picking two 5/8ths. The Blues showed what a backline can do by picking two ball runners in the centres.
There are plenty of show ponies in Australian rugby getting raps every week for doing very little so I think maybe some of the bloggers should take aim at these guys rather than picking on a player that does what is asked by his coaches and team members every week without getting any credit

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes, but the coach was probably not asking him to dither and try to step at 13 rather that just run at people either chester.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
chester said:
I can't understand the negative comments re Tom Carter. He goes out every week and gives his all for little credit. HAve any of you criticising his tendency to crash the ball up actualy thought that he is only doing what his coaches ask him to do? Rugby is a contact sport and only in the 13E's can you run around a guy to score a try. The defensive lines in S14 are very well organised nowadays so sometimes you need to bend the line.
Statistically he is very solid, one of the highest numer of tackles in the S14 whilst starting, and 2nd or 3rd highest in Tahs team for tackle busts and line breaks. Some one needs to roll there sleaves up and do some dirty work in the team and every good rugby side has solid players that do the unrecognised hard work. He was also playing out position at 13 due to injury. He should be at 12 but every coach at present is obsessed with picking two 5/8ths. The Blues showed what a backline can do by picking two ball runners in the centres.
There are plenty of show ponies in Australian rugby getting raps every week for doing very little so I think maybe some of the bloggers should take aim at these guys rather than picking on a player that does what is asked by his coaches and team members every week without getting any credit

Yes someone needs to do that stuff but it's usually someone in the 6 or 8 jersey. Tom brings something to the game of rugby but he just doesn't play the stereotypical role of a 12 or 13.
It's almost certainly because of his coaches but that little tidbit of information isn't going to change public opinion about the man.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Did Tom Carter just join the forum? Welcome Tom! And we appreciate that you no longer do the Monkey Cloud.

I'll be the first to admit that Carter is improving, but his history at 12 for the two previous seasons isn't good as far as attacking is concerned. Fair enough he may have been following the coach's gameplan, but he was adequately described here as a "firewall" to the ball going wider. He also broken few tackles and made few linebreaks in the two previous seasons.

There are different styles of 12s and 13s, but to be a good one of either you need to set up your outside man. This year Carter's done a much better job than previously, but still lacks much on the attacking side of things. He's not a natural attacking player.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I've missed something here.
I'm guessing that when you say The Monkey Cloud you're all talking about Monkey Magic but what do you mean when you say Tom Carter is doing The Monkey Cloud.?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
matty_k said:
I've missed something here.
I'm guessing that when you say The Monkey Cloud you're all talking about Monkey Magic but what do you mean when you say Tom Carter is doing The Monkey Cloud.?

it's his try scoring celebration right?

but i can't say i've seen it before either. anyone have a clip?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfman said:
By my calculations, Tom Carter is currently worth 0.95 Carters on the poll. Slightly subjective scale, but I think it's clear that he is ranked pretty close to the average Super 14 rugby player.

I have to disagree. Carter's being "ranked pretty close to the average Super 14 rugby player" implies that he would make the XV for most of the teams, doesn't it? I doubt that any of the RSA or UnZid teams would start him and I didn't notice a buying frenzy from the Australian teams when he came off contract.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I think TC is a solid player that every team needs, does the grunt work that a lot of the so-called superstars shirk as it may mess up their hair. Every team needs one or two of them if they are to be successful.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Biffo said:
I have to disagree. Carter's being "ranked pretty close to the average Super 14 rugby player" implies that he would make the XV for most of the teams, doesn't it? I doubt that any of the RSA or UnZid teams would start him and I didn't notice a buying frenzy from the Australian teams when he came off contract.

Well I don't agree with you biffo, I think he's better than that, but you are entitled to your opinion.

(See what happened there, people ;)).

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
We all have a mate that you have to defend at times and say "he is alright when you get to know him".

Carter is one of those blokes that completely polarises opinions. I have mates that know him well and swear that he is a champion. I also know of people that think less highly of him.

I personally think he is a solid (below average but I think the S14 is a pretty high standard) player that is a worthy member of the Tahs squad. I wouldnt pick him in my starting team but he can do a job. I would rather a player that can do more than one job but there arent many others out there. At times he is a handbrake, but at others he is an anchor that is required.

I could tolerate him more if he didnt walk around making Justin Hodges look like a demure choir boy. His eagerness to come rushing at any sign of a skirmish but when get there contribute nothing, his sledging and his general tough guy attitude all makes him a fair target for internet forums such as this. I personally think he would thrive in knowing so much was said about him, both good and bad, so as such would encourage everyone to keep on showing their attempts at juvenile comedy.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
the gambler said:
I could tolerate him more if he didnt walk around making Justin Hodges look like a demure choir boy. His eagerness to come rushing at any sign of a skirmish but when get there contribute nothing, his sledging and his general tough guy attitude all makes him a fair target for internet forums such as this. I personally think he would thrive in knowing so much was said about him, both good and bad, so as such would encourage everyone to keep on showing their attempts at juvenile comedy.

If I could take a leaf from Roy and HG's book, the Tah's (and all sports teams, for that matter) need a player with attitude (or badittude) and character. Carter may well be this man for the Tah's.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Frankly, I would prefer to have a player with a bit of talent. Tom's older brother, Ed, had a lot. Apparently he scooped the pool for the family.

Carter is very, very, average - military medium in fact.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Carter is neither the best Aus super rugby player nor the worst. He isn't even the worst tah back of 2010 (Anesi gets my vote). Carter plays a similar game to De Wett Barry - it wouldn't suit the Wobbs most of the time but might in some circumstances, e.g. a slushy NH EOYT tour game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good call. Whilst he is more than just a crashballer, this kind of game comes naturally to him and sneaks into his play far too often.

C

CanadianRugby

Scarfman said:
Biffo said:

Well I don't agree with you biffo, I think he's better than that, but you are entitled to your opinion.

(See what happened there, people ;)).

You are the model of diplomacy, Scarfie

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Rob Egerton could get away with the socks down look because he just looked scruffy in general. Some of the players with better sun tans and calves the size of tree trunks can as well because who is going to argue. Carter on the other hand should focus on looking like a rugby player as much as he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.