• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tonga v A: 16th July 10:00am

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This tour been a massive success in my eyes. I didn't expect to beat Samoa, thought Fiji would thrash us and Tonga would go close. Credit to the coaching staff and players. Gilmore looks good at getting a team to gel quickly.

Our tight 5 wasn't the best on paper but they fronted up.

If Fiji win I think we win the title?

Totally agree. The Aus A set up is a triumph for mine and can only benefit the game here. Good match practice against international quality opposition, it never hurts. It's also the opportunity for guys like Gilmore to step up in the coaching ranks.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
They did. But without those players and arguably even with them they didn't pose the threat they promised. If not for errors on our behalf marching them down field and into those position the score would have been a lot uglier for them as at no stage did it look like they'll break out.
I was being vescicious. I guess that’s why they are still qualifying for next year.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Totally agree. The Aus A set up is a triumph for mine and can only benefit the game here. Good match practice against international quality opposition, it never hurts. It's also the opportunity for guys like Gilmore to step up in the coaching ranks.
As well as having players match fit, if (when?) injuries hit the main squad.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I agree. The Aus A program has been something we have desperately needed to bring back for some time. I'm happy to see it return. Hopefully they can build out a solid November schedule as well.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What does this have to do with my comment?

you want to rag on uru? Good for you, don’t reply with ‘seriously’ when someone asks a genuine question and comment.

Okay then. A few examples. His first involvement in the game saw him lay there making no effort to get out of the ruck when he clearly could have. Resulting in a penalty and Tonga rolling it in from the 5m lineout via the maul. On one of our first attacking raids into the Tongan 22m after a nice break he pushed an unnecessary pass resulting in a turnover. Twice in the lineout he managed to lose the ball forward and hand a likely hand in another drop in the transfer. Finally, dropped it cold hot on attack turning it over. He had a lot of involvements and worked hard but you need to couple that with the skills and positive impacts. Which he did not.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Okay then. A few examples. His first involvement in the game saw him lay there making no effort to get out of the ruck when he clearly could have. Resulting in a penalty and Tonga rolling it in from the 5m lineout via the maul. On one of our first attacking raids into the Tongan 22m after a nice break he pushed an unnecessary pass resulting in a turnover. Twice in the lineout he managed to lose the ball forward and hand a likely hand in another drop in the transfer. Finally, dropped it cold hot on attack turning it over. He had a lot of involvements and worked hard but you need to couple that with the skills and positive impacts. Which he did not.
Wasn’t his best game but he’s still a good player.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Uru was made to play lock, it's not his position. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's not a "tight" player.

He's not. But the thing is his scrummaging was actually something he held up quite well against a bigger pack behind a small front row. That's actually a really tough thing to do. The problem was that his involvements in the open which aren't overly different from his game as a loosie were too hurried which led to skill failures. Which is a temperament issue. He needed to focus more on executing the core skills (which for the record is an issue in Australian Rugby in general) as opposed to trying to push through it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't think any of the players look Test quality yet except Gleeson, Foketi, Daugunu (already capped) and Donaldson who looked composed.

(Not saying any should move into the squad but those are the next guys up if injuries occur).

Agree on the first three while Donaldson still needs more time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Dude, what does this have to do with my comment? I never commented on Uru in general play.

i asked a question about Uru’s lineout takes and then commented on the poor maul technique of Australia A.

It is 100% the responsibility of the man coming around to secure the ball off the lineout jumper before binding on, this did not happen and they bound first.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Dude, what does this have to do with my comment? I never commented on Uru in general play.

i asked a question about Uru’s lineout takes and then commented on the poor maul technique of Australia A.

It is 100% the responsibility of the man coming around to secure the ball off the lineout jumper before binding on, this did not happen and they bound first.

Did you miss the two lineouts where he dropped the ball on top of the binding player looking to offload for the wrap around? Also, my issues with his play as above extend beyond the set piece.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Did you miss the two lineouts where he dropped the ball on top of the binding player looking to offload for the wrap around? Also, my issues with his play as above extend beyond the set piece.
the binding player is supposed to bind onto the ball and ball carrier. quick wrap around pop ball should come from that player. Are you actively looking to blame Uru for the mistakes of others?

If you have issues beyond the lineout good for you, it has nothing to do with my comment about Lineouts.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I thought all the boys played very well… 2 wins, a close loss and great experience for those who may later push on.
It would be good for Australian rugby if this squad gets more games against the minnow nations.

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
the binding player is supposed to bind onto the ball and ball carrier. quick wrap around pop ball should come from that player. Are you actively looking to blame Uru for the mistakes of others?

If you have issues beyond the lineout good for you, it has nothing to do with my comment about Lineouts.

On the two occasions I mentioned the wrap around pass was designed to come from Uru himself. He actually held the ball up from the binding player on purpose for that exact reason. From the looks of it the intent was to draw the Tongan pack into thinking that we were actually forming the maul by actually setting one as opposed to a conventional maul wrap around where they are fairly loose with Uru offloading to the runner. In theory this would open more space for the runner to decide between trying to hit a hole or passing to the backline.

I am being hard on Uru because frankly I expected better from him. He has for some time looked like a player who was just waiting to step up but while not the worst performer hasn't hit the marks expected.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Waratahs with impressive depth in the back row, doubt they’ll keep them all: Hooper, Gamble, Gleeson, Harris, Rahboni, Swinton, Sinclair.

i think Gleeson has jumped Harris in my eyes. Gamble is an adequate replacement when Hooper moves on. Hopefully Swinton stays.

Alex Ross (28)
Waratahs with impressive depth in the back row, doubt they’ll keep them all: Hooper, Gamble, Gleeson, Harris, Rahboni, Swinton, Sinclair.

i think Gleeson has jumped Harris in my eyes. Gamble is an adequate replacement when Hooper moves on. Hopefully Swinton stays.
Hanigan too. Hard to see them all fitting at the Tahs for long. But a good problem to have for now. Harris seemed quiet in the A games, but he was great in Super all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.