• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tonga v A: 16th July 10:00am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
About the only one that I'd be happy to see a call up to the Wallabies squad based on his three outings. Needs more ball in hand as he's our best runner in contact.
I'd include Foketi too and Ryan Lonergan would be OK but really isn't needed with three very good test match No9s in front of him. Both hookers look like they could make the big time down the track while I was also impressed by Tom Ross in his cameo. Better than Tom Robertson I reckon.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd include Foketi too and Ryan Lonergan would be OK but really isn't needed with three very good test match No9s in front of him. Both hookers look like they could make the big time down the track while I was also impressed by Tom Ross in his cameo. Better than Tom Robertson I reckon.

Foketi got better as the tournament went on. I think Pollard performed well. Most pleasing was pretty accurate at the lineout which is something our recent crop seem to have struggled with.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On the two occasions I mentioned the wrap around pass was designed to come from Uru himself. He actually held the ball up from the binding player on purpose for that exact reason. From the looks of it the intent was to draw the Tongan pack into thinking that we were actually forming the maul by actually setting one as opposed to a conventional maul wrap around where they are fairly loose with Uru offloading to the runner. In theory this would open more space for the runner to decide between trying to hit a hole or passing to the backline.
It looks like they were forming a maul.. because that’s what they were doing.

If it’s a quick ball from a maul it’s binding players role to rip and pop the ball.. not the lock.. because It’s an unstable platform for the lock to be popping from with defenders reaching over and grabbing arms once feed are on the ground. Same play regularly happens in wallabies and super rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It looks like they were forming a maul.. because that’s what they were doing.

If it’s a quick ball from a maul it’s binding players role to rip and pop the ball.. not the lock.. because It’s an unstable platform for the lock to be popping from with defenders reaching over and grabbing arms once feed are on the ground. Same play regularly happens in wallabies and super rugby.

Well then in that case that makes the error worse as he failed to get the ball in place for the binder on two occasions.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well Samoa just took the lead. They've been impressive.

Their composure in this tournament has been the most impressive thing about their performances. In particular, both last week and early in this game they were under the pump but have kept their composure and have worked their way back into the game and taken the lead. If they win this game they certainly deserve it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Devastating maul too which isn't really the Islanders game, good to see them working on it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Agree … Lolesio was thrown into the All Black cauldron too early and was mauled…although that’s Donaldson’s second game at 10 since his injury earlier in the season. Went ok I thought.

He has controlled both games well and in general made the correct decisions when needed. Not overlaying his hand. But there have been moments in both games. Just small ones but still. Timidness around contact that you can just catch. Like the high ball today. He should have caught that, called the mark and shut it down but didn't. Could be because of concern for injury but it's one of those moments that suggests he needs more time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well then in that case that makes the error worse as he failed to get the ball in place for the binder on two occasions.

Nah dude.. lol
Even as a Reds fan I’ll tell you it was McReight who timed the second maul poorly and bound on the player before the ball. Didn’t catch a name on first.

Status
Not open for further replies.