• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2: Australia vs Argentina @ Brisbane - Saturday 27 July 2019

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
^^^^ True. Maybe we should look to get TK involved more off first phase hit ups and push Kerevi a little wider?

Another thing i found odd was that we still looked to go deep and wide, even in our own half. Why? We were completely outgunned for pace out wide, we'd never get around them.
We lost ground every time we had to exit by going through multiple phases rather than exiting ASAP. Each phase we were caught further behind the gain line. It looked a premeditated plan that the Boks were all over.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Once again we end up talking about wingers and fullback that would have made two parts of fuck all difference to the result of the last game.

Actually Beale made a pretty big difference ;)

But no, I agree with you. Game-plan, structures, and general attitude, a lack of cattle in key areas a bigger problem.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well DHP alone caused a 14 point swing. So nah.

But it, and Foley, for some reason, have become the focal point for why we lost. Relatively less discussion (in post volume) in comparison about other butchered efforts / cards, our passive defence, our scrum that got dicked, the lack of metres gained by our pack in total. Some repeated glaring issues there.
There were plenty of reasons we lost - DHP was one. He had a poor one, for sure. We have systemic issues.
That said, Argentina will play an even faster game!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah i agree, i guess.

What do we need to do to fix the failings of our pack around the ground? individually, they are all up to par. We were not notably smaller than they were overall. What's the difference between what they do and what we do?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Once again we end up talking about wingers and fullback that would have made two parts of fuck all difference to the result of the last game.
You mean how I said, pick Sio and AAA will make the biggest difference, other then that we don't really have that much to change in the rest of the pack, maybe Coleman in the row but his been terrible form..

B

Bobby Sands

Lilo, Jones, Samu and any of our healthy first choice front rows in. Also wingers who have played wing before with any success.

Say what you want about "pigs winning rugby" picking backs in their correct position goes a fair way to deciding games as well.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah i agree, i guess.

What do we need to do to fix the failings of our pack around the ground? individually, they are all up to par. We were not notably smaller than they were overall. What's the difference between what they do and what we do?

Attitude

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beale being good off the bench last week is also the reason why I'd be hesitant to promote him to the starting team.........

Because he's often been really impressive when he's come off the bench, and not necessarily as a starter.

But then again neither Hodge or DHP are inspiring choices on the wings.........

If there is any truth to the reports that JOC (James O'Connor) will get a run this weekend I would assume he'll take the 23 jersey which means Beale will likely start anyways, and hopefully Korobiete and Banks will be on the wings.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lilo, Jones, Samu and any of our healthy first choice front rows in. Also wingers who have played wing before with any success.

Say what you want about "pigs winning rugby" picking backs in their correct position goes a fair way to deciding games as well.
Im keen to see all three play. Particularly Jones and Samu off the bench.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We need more presence at the breakdown so I imagine that we will see Latu in the 23 this week. Hope he can manage to stay on the park.
Is Samu in this squad? Either way we probably need a more savvy flanker at 6. Dempsey or Jones maybe? It might be a good opportunity to take a look at Valentini or even Wright off the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We need more presence at the breakdown so I imagine that we will see Latu in the 23 this week. Hope he can manage to stay on the park.
Is Samu in this squad? Either way we probably need a more savvy flanker at 6. Dempsey or Jones maybe? It might be a good opportunity to take a look at Valentini or even Wright off the bench.
I thought LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) went okay, but im keen to see Jones start with Samu off the bench.

Hookerbytrade

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm interested to see the where the charged up concept of this passive defence which were "systematic changes" during the 3 Wallabies camps prior to the TRC and how this benefitted in any what way the wallabies ability to limit the boks ball runners momentum. And then what (if any) changes to the defensive patterns will be made for Saturday

We know the Argies play an up tempo style of footy with a fantastic offloading, support runner style of rugby. This defensive passiveness needs to be gone come Saturday and a more direct or in your face style needs to be implemented. Allowing the Argentinians offloads and second phase play will cause the Wallabies serious havoc.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
My thoughts for this game

I'd be tempted to start Tupou to disrupt the Pumas with some big hits, maybe get his hearing tested so he can hear the whistle.
Latu on the bench scares me, good chance we'll have to play with 14 men for a while.
Rodda was very quiet in SA, he needs to lift his game.
I'm not a fan of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6. His defensive work is sub par in the wider channels. I'd love Jones to get the start so we don't loose anything in the lineout.
Genia to start in his last game at Suncorp.
I'd like Lealiifano to start at 10, we know what Foley is so lets find out if there is any pressure on him in the squad.
Keep the centres the same. Samu had the most run metres last week and he needs to be at 12. Need to find ways to get TK the ball, I'd love to see him used off the lineout like the Brumbies do.
We need speed on the wings. DHP and Hodge are too slow. Koroibete needs to run an inside line off 10, like Digby used to, to put some questions in the rush defence. Don't know about the other wing, none picked in the squad so Hodge might stay there, I'd like Sefa of Pulu to have a run but it wont happen.
I'd keep Banks at 15, he played well in his first start and deserves another go.

Beale was really good off the bench and that's the role I'd like him to play. He is devastating against tired legs, rarely as effective when he starts.

In regards to a "second play-maker", I don't think one is required. If we vary our attack it will create opportunities. We need to put some short kicks in behind, I'd love to see Banks run the old Latham line close to the ruck so we can target the hole left by rush defence. Even the cross field kicks we employed against Ireland last year would make the defence question what they're doing. Have the 9 use the Gregan inside ball to a forward running and play in tight to catch the rush defence on the second and third phase. I guess what I'm after is some variety, we seem to have a plan A and just do that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My thoughts for this game

I'd be tempted to start Tupou to disrupt the Pumas with some big hits, maybe get his hearing tested so he can hear the whistle.
Latu on the bench scares me, good chance we'll have to play with 14 men for a while.
As good a chance of playing with 14 with Tupou starting, to be fair.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The big challenge this week will be who is available out of Slipper, Uelese, Ala'alatoa, Sio and Leali'ifano. I would suggest that all five will play if fit.

We are really in a pickle if neither Sio nor Slipper are available.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Heres the team I'd run out (ignoring potential injuries):

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. AAAAAAAAAAA
4. Rodda
5. Arnold
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Lilo
11. MK
12. Kerevi
13. TK
14. Banks
15. Beale

16. Slipper (Honestly wouldnt bring HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) back if he's on protocol. Get in a proper scrummager like Smith)
17. Latu (fuck it, someone has to pilfer)
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (hes a fucking second rower)
20. Samu (form backrower not even in the squad?)
21. White
22. Foley
23. JOC (James O'Connor) (just to have a geez)

Players dropped:
Hodge, DHP, To'omua, Kepu, Dempsey

Tactical changes:
Tell the lazy fluffybunnys to get off their asses in the defensive line and push harder.
Tell Hooper to try a pilfer once or twice.
No second man wrap around thirty passes to the right 3 metres backwards plays.
TK to crash up of the first phase in set plays, as he is supposed to.
TAKE THE FUCKING POINTS ON OFFER - god damn. You might go for the try if you are the All Blacks and your scrum is on the up. None of this is ever the fucking case for us.

Edit: if you were so inclined to start Beale from the bench for the super sub role, drop JOC (James O'Connor) and bring in a second proper winger, ideally Pulu.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
In regards to a "second play-maker", I don't think one is required.

Agreed, our inability to deal with rush defence makes it even stupider to put a second playmaker in the squad. Have Kerevi and TK in the middle to get us over the game line and if we can get quick ball, you will put the defence on the back foot reducing the effectiveness of their rush.

If you put a second play maker in the backs, he will suffer the same fate as Foley with the rush defence. But in any event if people think we 'need' a second play maker, Genia is able to be that person from the 9. I'd daresay it being his final game at home, he'll start.