• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Pumas @ Townsville 25/09

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Shaun should have to earn his jersey the same as anyone else.
What does that actually mean? Because the reality is that no two players journey to test rugby or team selection is the same.
All that really matters is if the coaches see him as the best option for the test match weighing up the player mix and the opponent.
Obviously there’s a few factors there - fitness, skill set, all the metrics they measure.
Pro sports is far less about the old school thing of ‘earning’ rather it’s about what is best for the team in getting the result.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A lot of water has flown under the bridge since 2017. I remember him being a loss but I can't remember specifically what he was doing well. Can anyone refresh my memory? Also, does he jump in the lineout?

Leg drive Leg drive leg drive. McMahon is basically Australia's version of Ardie Savea.

He jumps in the line-out and is effective. But he is still too short to be consider a primary line-out jumper.

I fear with the way he plays (or used to play I should say), which is to play aggressively above his weight class, that his body may not still be up to it. I hope I am proven wrong.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
For me Mcmahon was always better off the bench. A few times I remember him starting, his lack of mass was a bit more telling in the tight stuff when the big boys of top tier were fresh. But when brought on later, holy crap did he make an impact.

I'd be happier with him starting if we had bigger locks like Arnold and Skelton.

I agree. Doesn't matter how much determination you have if you're running straight into an Etzebeth or Vermeulen.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thats not entirely true. Like Hooper McMahon used to play well above his weight.
Yes he did, but still, that only takes you so far.

A great player with probably the best leg drive in Aus (if he still has it), but if you think he's going to run straight at a Vermeulen and win that battle you're delusional.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thankfully Vermeulen will be otherwise occupied this Saturday and that may be why we go for a more mobile pack?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What does that actually mean? Because the reality is that no two players journey to test rugby or team selection is the same.
All that really matters is if the coaches see him as the best option for the test match weighing up the player mix and the opponent.
Obviously there’s a few factors there - fitness, skill set, all the metrics they measure.
Pro sports is far less about the old school thing of ‘earning’ rather it’s about what is best for the team in getting the result.
I used the phrase specifically because it is a phrase Rennie has used a number of times when talking about the group culture he is trying to create.

I assume in this case it means Rennie isn’t giving out guarantees. I’m assuming he’ll want McMahon training the house down with the rest of the squad to demonstrate to the group that he’s the right choice. He may well know in his head he’s going to pick him (I agree it’s unlikely he’s been bought in just to train) but I have made doubts he’s told McMahon that point-blank.

I disagree that it’s strictly an ‘old school’ concept or, if that is how you want to look at it, then it is one worth preserving. And Rennie obviously does to - albeit he may well have a different view on how a player earns his spot.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agreed, lets keep Valentini at 8 so he can get some continuity in the role. Samu is perfect for the bench, he can cover 6, 7 and 8 comfortably. McMahon starting this weekend would be great, Rennie can pull him off as early or as late as he needs knowing we've got Samu to fill the void.
I don't think McMahon sat in quarantine for 14 days to not play rugby, wouldn't paint a great picture for those overseas looking to do something similar.
For sure give him a run. Might have to position as rotation and resting players as backrow and bench (Samu) been superb the last 2 games.

I suspect McMahon if lives up to all positive press and hype and plays might mean some hard selection decisions going forward.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeh and in reality if McMahon was not in the picture we would be very happy with our backrow. I can’t help but feel we have people putting McMahon on a pedestal way above where he last was with his last time with the wallabies. But then again it really is how much he has improved since then- as Cooper showed and demonstrated. Sounds like McMahon has had same growth mindset Cooper had in recent years. And hence keen to see what he can offer..which should be from the bench and ideally at least with 30 to 40’minutes in second half to see where he is at and whether hype justified.
Yep, well I agree, I not knocking McMahon, but never really thought he was a world beater when he played for Wallabies last time, and was not surprised he went to Japan. But as you rightly say RN, it not about how he was then, and more about how good he is now, and his game could well of grown. I must admit I have been impressed with Valentini's growth as a player, but if Rennie see McMahon as better than him or Swinton, he must think he has developed well.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Leg drive Leg drive leg drive. McMahon is basically Australia's version of Ardie Savea.

He jumps in the line-out and is effective. But he is still too short to be consider a primary line-out jumper.

I fear with the way he plays (or used to play I should say), which is to play aggressively above his weight class, that his body may not still be up to it. I hope I am proven wrong.
Thanks Seb. I’m looking forward to seeing him run around again.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Article I read implied Hodge at 15, Muirhead at 14 and McMahon straight swap for Swinton at 6.
Not sure about Muirhead, everything I've read has the backline the same outside of 15, one article did mention Muirhead (alongside T. Wright, McReight and Fa'amausili) might get a go but that read as more likely to be the second Argentina game or against Japan.

Even still, Rennie is likely to make subtle changes over the next three Tests. Tom Wright, Andy Muirhead, Fraser McReight and Pone Fa’amausili are a chance to play either against the Pumas or Japan next month.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
McMahon Is still an unknown entity after a long sabbatical. Think he should prove his worth via the bench.
Hopefully no unforced changes to the starting lineup.
A convincing win would be nice.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Article I read implied Hodge at 15, Muirhead at 14 and McMahon straight swap for Swinton at 6.
Muirhead for who? I doubt either MK or Kellaway need a break just yet and both have been playing very well. With Hodge starting we need JOC (James O'Connor) or Lolesio coming on to the bench you would think.
How long is Vunivalu out for? Daugunu also looks close.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
McMahon Is still an unknown entity after a long sabbatical. Think he should prove his worth via the bench.
Hopefully no unforced changes to the starting lineup.
A convincing win would be nice.
Yes agreed, we’ve got no idea on if he’s ready to perform at test level. But we’ve got this and next week with him, why not throw him in the deep and at start him at 6 for both games? We can have Samu on the bench if he needs to be hooked early.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Muirhead for who? I doubt either MK or Kellaway need a break just yet and both have been playing very well. With Hodge starting we need JOC (James O'Connor) or Lolesio coming on to the bench you would think.
How long is Vunivalu out for? Daugunu also looks close.
Pretty certain Vunivalu is done for the RC after re injuring his hammy, he should be healthy for the spring tour.