• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Pumas @ Townsville 25/09

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
pure speculation, but with all of the indigenous/first nations wallabies stories this week I would tip Muirhead to be in the side.

A tough call on Kellaway and MK though. Kellaway is playing great, MK is constantly one of our best.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1. James Slipper (108 Tests)
2. Folau Fainga’a (19 Tests)
3. Taniela Tupou (33 Tests)
4. Izack Rodda (28 Tests)
5. Matt Philip (17 Tests)
6. Rob Leota (1 Test)
7. Michael Hooper (c) (113 Tests)
8. Rob Valetini (12 Tests)
9. Nic White (41 Tests)
10. Quade Cooper (72 Tests)
11. Marika Koroibete (41 Tests)
12. Samu Kerevi (36 Tests)
13. Len Ikitau (7 Tests)
14. Andrew Kellaway (7 Tests)
15. Reece Hodge (51 Tests)
Replacements
16. Feleti Kaitu’u (2 Tests)
17. Angus Bell (10 Tests)
18. Tom Robertson (25 Tests)
19. Darcy Swain (7 Tests)
20. Pete Samu (13 Tests)
21. Tate McDermott (10 Tests)
22. James O’Connor (55 Tests)
23. Jordan Petaia (12 Tests)

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Nice. Keep the foot on the throat.
Agree with the decision re McMahon. Still an unknown entity.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We have Swinton dropped, Leota starting, what has happened to Harry Wilson?
Maybe seen as an 8 and has been placed behind Valetini... on the bench Samu offers too much. I thought he'd be long term 8 he can't be missing out by much.. Its a good backrow when players like him McMahon, Swinton, McReight etc are kept out of the side.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
He is a reasonable operator. Not quite as good as Pete Samu - who is actually very good IMO as a third jumper because he is very quick off the ground - but McMahon is pretty good.

My recollection of McMahon was that initially he was a bit so-so, but then put in 4-5 tests in conjunction with Hooper where he was very good at 8.

Personally I have no issue if he’s picked but no issue if he’s left our either. In terms of the role he’d play I actually think he’d be most similiar to Valetini. Not quite as physical, but higher work rate. But the fact that Swinton has been coming off and with his discipline issues in both the last two games it would seem more likely he is under the gun if anyone is.

If you ended up with a backrow of McMahon, Samu & Hooper on at the end you’d certainly welcome expect to lift the tempo.
You can’t leave Valetini out. 6 McMahon 7 Hooper and 8 Valetini
Hmm, Leota and not McMahon. Interesting.
Sad

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Christy Doran on the twitter suggests he is in the gym adding some muscle mass
Maybe seen as an 8 and has been placed behind Valetini... on the bench Samu offers too much. I thought he'd be long term 8 he can't be missing out by much.. Its a good backrow when players like him McMahon, Swinton, McReight etc are kept out of the side.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I am sure we will see McMahon next week. Rennie did a similar thing with Cooper and held him back that extra week.
A lot of the fringe players will get to run out against Japan you would expect.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
was excited to see McMahon, but we’ll not be let down by Leota! How bloody exciting. Must be training well to get a start over Swinton, McMahon & Wilson. Really keen to see what he can do with 60 minutes. I’m quite nervous now for Rob.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’m a big fan of Wilson but I like the Leota selection, let us see what he can do, just adds more flexibility given he did well for the Rebs as a part time stand in lock this year

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Can't play tight (or at least demonstrated the necessary physicality required) and hasn't consistently impressed against the top teams.
Wilson's a great player, but has too much baby fat on him atm to be physically dominant at the top level. Once he's put on some beef, I reckon he'll have a shot at locking down the #8 shirt.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The changes are pretty pragmatic by Rennie overall. He obviously has enough belief in the current back row options in the squad to admonish Swinton and reward Leota without the need to jettison in McMahon. Perhaps he doesn't have the same faith in the alternate hooker options because Fainga'a's discipline hasn't been too dissimilar to Swinton's

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez a few people here are giving McMahon some serious accolades for Test rugby despite a complete absence from it.

I'd be happy to see him run around, but Leota is a good option. Having played a lot of second row recently, let's see how his lateral speed on defence is for a ball-running forward.

Swinton will get a couple of Tests to think about what he's done, but love having him as an option.