• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Who is better?

One thing we know for sure - it ain't Rolland.

For mine, Barnes, Joubert and Mark Lawrence are the top three and I reckon Vinnie Munro as an outsider. [Mind you, since Mark Lawrence couldn't make the WC as anything I guess he's on Paddy's outsiders list]

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Barnes is a great ref and I'm stoked he's reffing Bledisloe 2 - be good to have a NH ref to see jsut how diff interpretations are (or even if they are diff).

I just hope they turn his mic down a bit though, as he loves talking throughout the game.

C

chief

Barnes talks to avoid blowing stupid penalties like the rest of the refs do. Barnes is by far and away the best referee in the world right now. He lets the dominant scrum dominate which is something you barely ever see, and unlike other refs he isn't afraid to blow a penalty in the scrums and it is usually correct. Very happy he is refereeing the 2nd Bledisloe.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He lets the dominant scrum dominate which is something you barely ever see, and unlike other refs he isn't afraid to blow a penalty in the scrums and it is usually correct.

He does and so does Poite. I wouldn't say he's usually correct but he, and Poite, get more right than most of the others, and you are correct: he (and the Frenchman) are fearless.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Mark Lawrences best in the world.

Bryce lawrence, munro, rolland and kaplan are the worst by a country mile.

Reactions: GC

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Butch James - Mission objective

Seek and Destroy Quade Cooper.

I dealt australia can muscle up enough to be effective in this home match for the saffas. Ive been through enough intense games watching our ab's scrape through over there to know that aussie wont feature much. History shows this. SA by under 12 (24-16).

But if aussie can put years of misery over there behind them and pull off one of their greatest performances then congrats to them for making me a fool.....

If I ask nicely do you think they'll make one for me as well?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So has Ma'afu got any fitness?

He didn't really have any through the S15, has since been injured and is now in the Wallaby 22. I would hate for a injury at the 5 minute mark, I doubt he could run out 75 minutes in an international test going on previous form.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So has Ma'afu got any fitness?

He didn't really have any through the S15, has since been injured and is now in the Wallaby 22. I would hate for a injury at the 5 minute mark, I doubt he could run out 75 minutes in an international test going on previous form.

A most perplexing selection. Cowan parked on the bench, gets no time and gets dropped for Mafood.

Actually I'll say it: What the fuck? You can't be serious?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
A most perplexing selection. Cowan parked on the bench, gets no time and gets dropped for Mafood.

Actually I'll say it: What the fuck? You can't be serious?

Ma'afood is Deans' "find".

Apparently he is there for his "scrummaging". Although I may have misread that and it said "scavenging".

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ma'afood is Deans' "find".

Apparently he is there for his "scrummaging". Although I may have misread that and it said "scavenging".

I think his scrummaging isn't half bad but not good enough to get selected. He looked shakey in his debut season but who wouldn't next to Finger and Daley against a rioting English scrum?

Anyway we'll have the "Battle of broken Arm" in the second half if Mafood comes on and Steenkamp (who also broke an arm) replaced Beast.

I suspect Jon Smit will move the TH with 30 to go as Jannie Doep is coming off injury sustained half way through the Super season. PdV has made it clear that he wants to give his skipper as much game time as possible so we're back to on of the many square ones we've has under PdV's reight as coach. I'm not too fussed about Smit being moved to prop though as legs get tired and replacements change the dynamic of the scrum. I never want to see a test started with Smit at 3 again.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
With Slipper and Fat Cat injured we are just an injury or two away from being a laughing stock, again. I have been quietly chuffed about the scrummaging of Alexander which looks surprisingly adequate. Unless the Beast is forced to scrummage straight Bennie may have a stiffer task in Durban than he did against Crockett.

It's a pity that Kepu, the best Oz scrummaging THP in Super rugby since his switch there in Rd. 7, has to play on the LH side, but with the Oz injury situation, he is currently our best fit LHP. He will have his work cut out against JdP even though the aforementioned Crockett made the Shark look like a full time doctor in Super Rugby.

Deans' spurning of Baxter is high risk, even though we know that Le Fuse has been targeted by refs in the past.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Who is better?

Definitely Barnes. I would say Garces, too, who has all of Poite's good points without his Steve Walsh-like swings against teams. Problem is, after that, you're into a trough. Clancy tries to be all things to all men. Poite can be good, but, like Walsh, he's arrogant and can get personal, a terrible trait in a ref. Joubert's competent, but I'd go no further; I'm certainly not buying this board proclaiming him a genius less than a week after wails about missing knock-ons. Nige is consistent, but is coasting to requirement. Dickinson the same, albeit improved.

Bruce Lawrence, though, is God-bloody-awful, and a clear case of favouritism.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I was too depressed to write about the Bledisloe last week – it reminded one of the test at the Cake Tin two years ago – beaten by better, stronger and tougher players who also played team rugby better and were coached better. I should write something before this match in case we have another shocker and I am a bad sport again.

I thought the Wallaby forwards had a go last week in a fly against the window pane way but it was not a great contest against swarm of killer bees. I'd like to see the Wobs show some team work at the rucks against the Boks, some swarming, on those occasions when ball has to be protected or when there is a chance to counter-ruck. Swarming.

It would also be good to see a bit of teamwork in the reception of restarts and some variety in kicking re-starts to the Boks. And talking about variety – a bit more pick and go, much too briefly on display last week, has to be done to keep the bastards honest.

As we know, the Bok team is close to its best team, though rusty, and the game is not at altitude. We should have a decent chance to have another win over there if we show up to play with reasonable ball and have inside runners offering themselves to Cooper to stop the drift.

Brüssow will be a big improvement if he is match fit. Burger is a loss but the 2nd rowers will be a big difference over the likes of Hargreaves they had on tour. It will be interesting to see how Alexander goes against Beast, if the Bok is forced to scrummage straight, and Kepu against JdP, who was poor against Crockett in Super Rugby.

As a rugby lover it will be good to see FdP back. In his pomp he was even better than Genia is now IMO. He was a better kicker, including box kicker and was also a better linker with his big forwards running off him systematically, than Will, more of a sniper who trusts he has someone to offload to. Now though?

James will be a big difference from M.Steyn. He had a good season for Bath before and after his long injury though his goal kicking was hot and cold. He won't miss Cooper on defence and will need an early penalty against him to stop those just too late tackles. He'll take it to the line to stop drifting and sneak the odd grubber through gaps between Wallaby legs.

I haven't been impressed with JdV since he went to Munster a couple of years ago now, and even there he was dropped for big games. He hasn't been the attacking force he was but he will probably have a blinder because I wrote that.

The 5/2 split is nearly always used against the Boks but the Oz bench is odd looking. It's great to see Higgers get a start and though his great impact from the bench will be lost, it can be subbed by Samo. I'm not sure why Timani is there instead of a fellow who can play 7 and I'm still uncomfortable about having an inside centre as the 2nd back in a 5/2 split, though I suppose Ant can take McCabe's spot if there is an injury to anybody who is a 10 or above.

It's great to see Sharpie back. The last time Deans dropped him he had a blinder but Deans said it was always part of his cunning plan to play him in this test match and not in NZ. A pity he didn't inform us, the great unwashed, on the matter, as we wasted time with a thread on it.

W

What2040

With Slipper and Fat Cat injured we are just an injury or two away from being a laughing stock, again. I have been quietly chuffed about the scrummaging of Alexander which looks surprisingly adequate. Unless the Beast is forced to scrummage straight Bennie may have a stiffer task in Durban than he did against Crockett.

It's a pity that Kepu, the best Oz scrummaging THP in Super rugby since his switch there in Rd. 7, has to play on the LH side, but with the Oz injury situation, he is currently our best fit LHP. He will have his work cut out against JdP even though the aforementioned Crockett made the Shark look like a full time doctor in Super Rugby.

Deans' spurning of Baxter is high risk, even though we know that Le Fuse has been targeted by refs in the past.

Kepu very good at THP because he had Benn R at LHP and a TPN at 2. Tahs scrum was well balanced - Reds had poor scrummaging LHP and 2 made it tough on slipper - still think Fuse should be there one more time

Status
Not open for further replies.