• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Obviously not a blitzing by the Wallabies, but really good to see them play and win a tight, calm game. Quade Cooper in particular was a different player from last week. Now all we need to do is focus a bit more on the "catch" side of things.

Godfrey, as I said last week Quade Cooper can best be described as "brilliant, but erratic"! Now some of his knockers may agree! We have to take the bad with the good, but as to the suggestion that he should have been "rested"........ that was just dumb commentary.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well done Wobs. Two in a row in SA. Ugly as a crack whore with warts but I bet you'll all take it. Everyone can be very relieved that Elsom looks like he is back.

Only comment I have is that when there is a lot of defensive pressure Cooper disappears and you need a second playmaker to get involved. I canlt but help think that someone like Barnes at 12 will add more than MCabe in pressure situations, who is a great player but doesn't do enough to make up for Cooper's failings. Barnes should start in Brisbane with Finger outside him. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is nowhere near the player he was.

Expected rustiness for Boks was very evident in the second half. The pack looked out on their feet.

In retrospect what did we expect? Half these guys have not played for 7 weeks and the other half longer since being injured.

Problems:

1. Our scrum looked decent until Smit moved to 3. It became even worse when Steenkamp came on. This is his first game in a year and how in fucks name they think he is fit enough for a World Cup spot is beyond comprehension. Smit is told to lose weight as he will play hooker and then moved to 3? What are these guys on?

2. Fourie du Preez is a shadow of his former self but I'd still back him.

3. James and M Steyn are both looking like shit but either on of them will start. Too late for Lambie now. Coaches won't have the balls.

4. JdV's game went to shit went he went to Munster for whatever reason and he is way past it. Caught a glimpse of Juan de Jong in the stands. Can only hope.

5. Danie Rossouw looked slow and was bending over at every ruck. He had gastro all week and just looked out on his feet after ten.

6. F Steyn. Dear God. Fatso. Brings nothing. Aplon came on and fucked up every single play he was involved in. Kirchner or Lambie? Nah. They are obsessed with Steyn. Get a haircut whiel you're at the salad bar son.

Wallabies absorbed the pressure well and once our guys got tired and Brussow went off you took over the breakdown and that's where it swung. Oh and our farcical scrum sealed it.

Best for the Boks were Spies (can't believe I said that) and Bismarck when he came on. Nobody else deserves a mention.

PE could get ugly with a bunch of guys in the AB team playing for World Cup spots.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
That's a shame about Smit. I really wanted to see if he could turn it around in time for the WC.

He's been badly out of form, but he is one of the nice guys of South African rugby.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Few points from my perspective.

-Frustrating game to watch from both sides, not a fan of ref bashing, but jeeez that was a poor performance
-I don't think I've ever seen a wallaby scrum destroy their opposition like the one that lead to the penalty
- We didn't use our backline enough, Cooper looked great when he got the ball
- Moore and Horwill massive games again

For mine, Anthony Fainga'a needs to start. Honestly AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has done nothing in the 4 tests to warrant a starting spot. Yes Fainga'a doesn't offer as much in attack but right now neither is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and with Rob Horne uncertain of selection I think Fainga'a needs to be chosen there.

In the pack, Sharpe played solid, but I still think Simmons is the right option. Higginbotham played pretty average, and really isn't an 8. Big Radike looked decent when he came on, would also like to see him start at 8.

Also for the Boks, how Bismark doesn't start I'll never know, he is close to the best hooker in the world. Spies played well, about time aswell, as did big Bakkies
imo. They weren't great but still showed signs of being a WC threat. They'll eat up most of the European sides.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
After walking all over the Bok scrum at their end of the field, we immediately get shoved backwards 10m at the very next one, which should have been a penalty

Bryce said the difference was that the scrum stayed on its feet. If Australia had collapsed like Boks did in the previous scrum penalty then he would have awarded it.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
One interesting thing with the ref was that the way he officiated at the breakdown and his penalties for coming in at the side and not staying on your feet. He is a kiwi ref, and you would think he would referee that way in NZ - in a kiwi style. Why then, haven't some kiwi players been whistled out of the game in NZ for not staying on their feet or coming in through the gate?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Few points from my perspective.

-Frustrating game to watch from both sides, not a fan of ref bashing, but jeeez that was a poor performance
-I don't think I've ever seen a wallaby scrum destroy their opposition like the one that lead to the penalty
- We didn't use our backline enough, Cooper looked great when he got the ball
- Moore and Horwill massive games again

For mine, Anthony Fainga'a needs to start. Honestly AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has done nothing in the 4 tests to warrant a starting spot. Yes Fainga'a doesn't offer as much in attack but right now neither is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and with Rob Horne uncertain of selection I think Fainga'a needs to be chosen there.

In the pack, Sharpe played solid, but I still think Simmons is the right option. Higginbotham played pretty average, and really isn't an 8. Big Radike looked decent when he came on, would also like to see him start at 8.

Also for the Boks, how Bismark doesn't start I'll never know, he is close to the best hooker in the world. Spies played well, about time aswell, as did big Bakkies
imo. They weren't great but still showed signs of being a WC threat. They'll eat up most of the European sides.

Sharpe was near best on park... his ball carries and lineout management are required...

Simmons for the bench...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm starting the think that JOC (James O'Connor) may well be playing himself out of the team, assuming Drew comes back well.

It was always going to be tough to fit those 4 (JOC (James O'Connor), KB (Kurtley Beale), Digby and Drew) into the team, but if Drew is fit then I'd have him there over JOC (James O'Connor), with James covering a lot of spots on the bench.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
I still feel intense anger at having stayed up to watch such appalling reffing.
Our backs had plenty of front foot ball and should have ripped tjem to shreads. Dropped ball on first phase was rediculous. Too many forced passes and lazy hands.
The difference in our defence this week over last was more first man going low, amplified when Fainga'a and Samo came on. That was really the unsung success behind QLDs run this year. So many scything bootlace tackles from both Faingaas, Beau, Samo, Lucas, Tapuai, Simmons, Daley, etc. Wallabies like Elsom, Sharpe, Kepu, McCalman, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale, even Moore all have a tendency to body tackle too often. The ABs and Boks with their body strength and clean outs make yards if you body tackle. Scything their legs our gives Pocock and others a chance to steal. Tackling technique is where we can make the most ground against the ABs.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am a huge AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) fan, but I think he is passed it.

He can't be passed it, he's just out of form.
How could you blame him after the year he and the Brumbies had?
Deans will have already ticked off his name for the RWC and I am confident he will run into form soon.
If McCabe gets a couple of weeks we may see him and A.Finger in the centers against NZ.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
this game showed how superior the ABs are, Aus was just average, the Boks were underdone but till could have won it

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Re: JOC (James O'Connor), I agree his body language was unconfideng and the last two games were his worst for some time, but he still set up the try, nearly another, kicked us home, always looks dangerous with ball in hand and will win us many more games ahead. At his worst he was still more effective than any of the bok back 3. Little time for Mitchell to prove fitness and form, but would love to see them both on paddock.

Reg, who would be your kicker without JOC (James O'Connor) - Beale or Cooper?

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Ant Finger had more impact in this game than the other two centres have had in all the preceding matches. Don't reckon Nonu and Smith would have shone as bright last week with him in their faces. JOC (James O'Connor) did well to set up McCabe's try. Beats me why JOC (James O'Connor) hasn't been given a go at 12 and Ant at 13. Of course it's not going to be tried at Suncorp, but it should.

Rocky's play was quality. Didn't seem to be doing the chatting during the breaks.

Good to see Samo feeding Genia. He's a better 8 than Higgers. I'd leave Higgers on the bench and bring him on with 25 to go.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Slightly off topic but moving forward, with Deans, Williams, etc pre-occupied with the ABs Brisbane test on 27th, and the lead-up to the RWC, can anyone tell me who our coaching staff is for the Australian Barbarians v Canada match here on the Gold Coast on 26th?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ugly but will certainly take it. To go from a tough Bled in NZ to play the SA A team at home is a fucking hard ask and I will take a win however we can get it. Will be a good confidence booster, especially for our forwards who ran over the Boks in the second half. If someone told me at the start of the year we would push the Bok scrum up its arse and win a penalty in front of the sticks I would have laughed. Smit or no Smit it is a great achievement.

A few points that I don't think have been raised yet:

- I thought Sanchez had a bad game. Took some poor options, threw some poor passes, was charged down a few times.
- Nathan Sharpe made a difference. Made a few great carries to get us going forward, and I also saw a few good dominant tackles, one off the charge-down that resulted in a Bok knock-on. Should stay.
- Have I converted to team Fainga'a? Maybe. He was very good.
- Benny Alexander had a great game, as did Squeak. Both are in great form.

Status
Not open for further replies.