• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT R5 Hurricanes v Reds Friday 5:05PM

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Mate you can get upset all you want, if you know the laws you also know that probably is the law, and when you commit an illegal act, you then have to take it as you were not there, so if he wasn't there a try would of probably of been scored. Hell it's not being superior, as you say you know laws so will know that one (I not say I agree or like it), and I learnt that one when SBW got YCed and a PT against him for ABs a few years back.

So what's your clever defence for the decision not to issue a Red card for a shoulder charge direct to the head?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He couldn't get to ball because it was knocked away, if Hegarty hadn't touched the ball Lumpy probably would of scored.
You’re kidding right Dan. I know that the bagging of the ref can be over the top - especially when a team misses a truckload of tackles and drops a tonne of ball.

But are you honestly saying you think he would have scored?

I think you may be trying to hard to play devils advocate tonight.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought Tupou was terrible. Didn’t think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was too bad. Paisami’s wallaby jersey not as assured.

And…how you doing?
That stayed in your mind hey Reg? I stand by the non hyperbolic bit. I want the kid at RWC23. I thought he was good tonight.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately I think when you miss so many tackles and drop so much key ball everything else that happens in the game becomes a side story. We should’ve taken the ref out of the equation. The Hurricanes were very much there for the taking and we made too many mistakes.

I did think the reffing of the breakdown and offside were poor, but the Reds needed to adapt to that and push the fringes far more. We surrender too much ground and easy ball. We needed to play to the reffing.

On a broader point it seems the refs have completely dropped the crack down on offside/last feet - which is disappointing IMO. Not just tonight and not just one team or 1-2 refs. Blatant offside has become rampant again and I don’t think that’s good for the game. I don’t understand why it isn’t policed by the ARs.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Mate you can get upset all you want, if you know the laws you also know that probably is the law, and when you commit an illegal act, you then have to take it as you were not there, so if he wasn't there a try would of probably of been scored. Hell it's not being superior, as you say you know laws so will know that one (I not say I agree or like it), and I learnt that one when SBW got YCed and a PT against him for ABs a few years back.

Yes, I do know the laws. The SBW one was a blatant "bat the ball out" like they do in league, there was no doubt there. It bore no resemblance to the one tonight. My point still stands, there was no probability in either of the two qualifying criteria. I'll leave it there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think tonight showed why we need nrc mark 2 back to give players like flook and Grealy extra game time in semi pro Comp to develop

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Unfortunately I think when you miss so many tackles and drop so much key ball everything else that happens in the game becomes a side story. We should’ve taken the ref out of the equation. The Hurricanes were very much there for the taking and we made too many mistakes.

I did think the reffing of the breakdown and offside were poor, but the Reds needed to adapt to that and push the fringes far more. We surrender too much ground and easy ball. We needed to play to the reffing.

On a broader point it seems the refs have completely dropped the crack down on offside/last feet - which is disappointing IMO. Not just tonight and not just one team or 1-2 refs. Blatant offside has become rampant again and I don’t think that’s good for the game. I don’t understand why it isn’t policed by the ARs.

Absolutely respect that TSR, however for a good proportion of the game the Hurricanes were sloppy too. Missed tackles and lots of dropped ball/bombed tries. The result of this was a closely contested match between two teams on a similar level. However, those absolutely crucial howlers turned the match and it ceased being a genuine contest. I don’t think it’s a side story.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
That’s not true. You’re allowed 1 dynamic movement in any direction. Ball touching the ground has nothing to do with it.

Only question is whether Tupou took too long, which you’d need to see at full speed.
You are allowed one movement to place the ball, as in reach out and place it. If that is back towards your support or placing it over the the line for a try , that’s all good . Basically 360 degrees from where you were tackled.

What you can’t do is promote your own position , as in push forward off your knees once you are flat on the ground .

This is what Tupou did , he propelled himself forward off his knees after initially being short . The penalty should have been for not realising the ball . Double movements are a league thing , it shits me when the refs talk in league language.

The end result was correct , Tupou should have been penalised for not releasing, as in crawling, not for a double movement!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely respect that TSR, however for a good proportion of the game the Hurricanes were sloppy too. Missed tackles and lots of dropped ball/bombed tries. The result of this was a closely contested match between two teams on a similar level. However, those absolutely crucial howlers turned the match and it ceased being a genuine contest. I don’t think it’s a side story.
I agree the score didn’t reflect the game. As I said, I think the Hurricanes were very much there for the taking.

But I think it’s been a feature of TT that defensive lines have consistently been offside, tacklers have deliberately impeded the ball release to help create breakdown turnovers and players are coming in from the side and not supporting their body weight. I hate it - but that is where professional rugby is at the moment, in this comp at least. So, if you know that and you don’t do the same you are setting yourself up to fail.

I’m not trying to pretend the Reds are clean skins. They infringe too - but I think they are a step behind where they need to be with their breakdown and they are struggling to have breakdown presence as a consequence.

I am hoping that a reffereeing directive will come out to be zealous on policing offside, rolling away and side entry - but until it does you play the ref.

Edit: as an aside, I thought Daugunu’s card was probably right. I thought it was marginal but he probably was offside when he got up and, as such, it was a card. I can also see how he got Hegarty for batting the ball dead - although I disagree Laumape was probably going to score. IMO he’d made his play and missed. But I think a penalty for as fair enough.

My issuing with the reffing was the policing of offside and the breakdown - several crucial plays came off turnovers when the tackler impeded the ball placement - but with BPA, Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) all on the field and McReight off the bench we should have turned that to our advantage IMO.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
You are allowed one movement to place the ball, as in reach out and place it. If that is back towards your support or placing it over the the line for a try , that’s all good . Basically 360 degrees from where you were tackled.

What you can’t do is promote your own position , as in push forward off your knees once you are flat on the ground .

This is what Tupou did , he propelled himself forward off his knees after initially being short . The penalty should have been for not realising the ball . Double movements are a league thing , it shits me when the refs talk in league language.

The end result was correct , Tupou should have been penalised for not releasing, as in crawling, not for a double movement!
No probs. I didn’t see it that way - but I agree with your interpretation of the rules.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Wow....

Someone check the refs Sportsbet account. That was horrible.

Hegarty cut your shoe off. Best advice head back to club land with a no kicking plan and re learn the other options.

Henry and Paisami need to work together in D, hang tight and stop looking for the ‘big’ hit.

Taniela a bit like Mitch Johnston did with the kookaburra pre Ashes. Needs to spend ever waking minute with a rugby ball in his hand and never drop it.

There is so much big picture going right but so much small stuff going wrong. It feels this close !!!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Poor Jake Gordon's injury couldn't have come at a better time for McDermott, he was great tonight. I almost want him starting over White for his combination with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Wilson.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tate is a more dangerous ball runner than Jake. Neither has as good a kicking game as Nic White. I reckon Tate has always been vying with Nic for the No 9 spot with Jake a bit further back in third place.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The instant Justin 180 Degrees Of Wrong Marshall said Hegarty's attempted force ingoal "wasnt intentional" you just bloody KNEW the ref would rule it intentional.

You biased bastads. The way the ball pinged off Hegartys hand looked totally deliberate and didnt really give the ref much option.

Thor was pretty much disinterested though. Not there mentally.

Top game from Tate Mcdermott

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
And also fuck me dead, what is it with union people using 'double movement' without understanding what it even means in rugba leeg? Leaguies can't promote the ball once they've been tackled and their initial momentum has been stopped. The idea is that once the player goes to ground, the tackle is finished. Makes sense if you like non-contested tackles, fingerpainting, and eating clag.

We're allowed to place it forward immediately. Tupou went well beyond that, going all tough mudder with his leopard crawl.