• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TT Rnd 1: Highlanders v Reds

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Bit of a joke performance by the Reds. Plenty of mistakes, but if you are representing the Oz comp as champions, you better make sure you turn up otherwise you open up the competition to bad comparisons. Only the first game but it was against NZ's 4th placed team who won 3 of their 8 games.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If Hegarty ever plays for the Reds again, i'll drive 10 hours up there to shoot him myself.

What in the fuck ever earned him a QLD jersey? How many high balls from INSIDE YOUR OWN FUCKING 22 do you need to kick before you realise they're not effective (mostly because they keep landing less than 10m away from where you kicked them) and are losing you the game?

Fuck me dead, i'd start Hellen Keller before giving Hegarty another shot. That bullshit forward pass call with 15mins to go was...bullshit, even the kiwi commentators said as much, but they were still in it until Hegarty decided to kick yet anther high ball from inside his 22 and give a kiwi team (renowned for their counter attacking skill) possession 30m from their tryline.

Ben Blair will sleep well tonight, knowing that the trophy for 'I singlehandedly lost this game' has been taken from him.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If Hegarty ever plays for the Reds again, i'll drive 10 hours up there to shoot him myself.

What in the fuck ever earned him a QLD jersey? How many high balls from INSIDE YOUR OWN FUCKING 22 do you need to kick before you realise they're not effective (mostly because they keep landing less than 10m away from where you kicked them) and are losing you the game?

Fuck me dead, i'd start Hellen Keller before giving Hegarty another shot. That bullshit forward pass call with 15mins to go was.bullshit, even the kiwi commentators said as much, but they were still in it until Hegarty decided to kick yet anther high ball from inside his 22 and give a kiwi team (renowned for their counter attacking skill) possession 30m from their tryline.

Ben Blair will sleep well tonight, knowing that the trophy for 'I singlehandedly lost this game' has been taken from him.

That was a good rant. I chuckled.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tbh not entirely surprising thatwe got smashed. Yeah not great but the turnaround from a bruising final and a less than full strength xv and yeah.

Need to fix it tho.

Should be a week break between AU and TT

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Mate you and I both know Thorn will be working out how to fix it, and my bloody Canes are gonna cop the backlash! In a few weeks.

I look forward to your coming excuses as to why a TT is still worth pursuing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I look forward to your coming excuses as to why a TT is still worth pursuing.

I have no excuses in my world you don't just play easy games or in comps you win, you just go out and get better and make sure you improve enough to win.

I was at a game about 3 weeks ago on a liitle place here in Taranaki, (Kaponga, population 312)) they got beaten about something like 100something to 7, was having a beer with some of their supporters after game, and not one that I spoke to thought they wouldn't be there the next week, and their coach said, yep I saw where we went wrong, we'll work on it this week!

That's what you do in sport.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Gee was that a reality check or what. Why don’t you run with momentum. Professional players paid to play not rest. What a dumb approach BT. As for the 9’s. Please learn the fundamentals of the position. Pass, direct, kick. We have 3 half’s that are all identical. Even better go back to club and learn your craft.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hungover. Changed lineup. Lost JOC (James O'Connor) earlier than expected. Both scrum halves were rubbish. No wonder the Reds lost that badly. I would have pegged them at 10-13 down based on the performance.

Nice that the only forward pass called on the night was theirs tho, thanks to the TMO.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Not even the best at his club IMO, not even top 3. The continued selection is mind boggling. Hasn't shown anything during his game time to justify his selection over Sorovi. He is young and will get better but isn't super level yet. Really my only major issue with selections at the moment. Would have liked to see Suli starting and Jock at 15 however hopefully see that early in the 2nd half.
Yeah don’t think UQ would be too put out by not having to “fit” Thomas into the starting team tomorrow at St Lucia.

I actually feel for the lad , gets elevated into the squad last year due to COVID , has played next to no rugby since finishing school due to the bubble and yet he gets a start over Sorovi .

Something must be smelly on Moses at the Reds for Kalani to jump the queue.

There are at least a couple of other 9’s running around in QPR that would be worth a crack, strange times........

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Tbh not entirely surprising thatwe got smashed. Yeah not great but the turnaround from a bruising final and a less than full strength xv and yeah.

Need to fix it tho.

Should be a week break between AU and TT

Not surprised either, they were missing Petaia, Pasaimi, Mafi, Wilson, McDermott and had a short turnaround following the grand final. Not an excuse to lose, just not surprised by the outcome. I think next week will be a better measure

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Hungover. Changed lineup. Lost JOC (James O'Connor) earlier than expected. Both scrum halves were rubbish. No wonder the Reds lost that badly. I would have pegged them at 10-13 down based on the performance.

Nice that the only forward pass called on the night was theirs tho, thanks to the TMO.
Couple of things stood out for me .

Firstly we need to select our best team possible for every game .

Secondly , how different the reffing interpretations were . The Highlander scrum chased the engagement all game , off side and side entry that were heavily policed previously were rarely seen other than JOC (James O'Connor) being pinged a couple of times in the first half .

Thankfully the Reds play three home games during this competition, that seemed like a preemptive strike tonight.

Nic Berry for all remaining Reds’ games please.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah don’t think UQ would be too put out by not having to “fit” Thomas into the starting team tomorrow at St Lucia.

I actually feel for the lad , gets elevated into the squad last year due to COVID , has played next to no rugby since finishing school due to the bubble and yet he gets a start over Sorovi .

Something must be smelly on Moses at the Reds for Kalani to jump the queue.

There are at least a couple of other 9’s running around in QPR that would be worth a crack, strange times....
Yep sometimes a good manager and a lie can elevate you quickly. There’s always been better 9’s running around in the grind of prem grade. It pisses you of to see these guys get a leg up without even putting in the work