• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'll give an 'A team' a crack vs NZ and World Champs:

1. Barrett - Marley Pearce if released
2. Bowron
3. Jamie Clark
4. Talataina
5. Maiava
6. Slack-Smith
7. Hough
8. Hooper
9. Wilson
10. Bowen - Lynagh if released, form warranted
11. Vaihu
12. Annan
13. Lancaster
14. McLaughlin-Phillips (covers 10 if needed)
15. Mason Gordon - Jorgensen if released

Coach and social media manager: Reece Hodge

Notable omission Tom Morrison, should get some time off the bench or starting in some tournament games - one of the standouts in the U19 tournament last year for me.

Noting also Talataina and Maiava are back rowers imo, but might be seen as 2nd row at U20 age.

Thanks Reece! for me would swap Miava & Slack-Smith. Also think Thorn is a shoe in for 21

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't see Jorgenson playing in the World Championships, will be required for the Tahs quarter and possibly semi. He'll make Wallabies TRC squads (although unlikely to play a Test).

ReeceHodgeOfficial

Stan Wickham (3)
Can anyone help with positions of other squad members?

Taj Annan (12)

John Bryant (8)

Ben Daniels (?)

Nick Bloomfield (?)

Harrison Usher (LHP)

Jarrod Homan (wing)

Tim Ryan (centre/Wing)

Nick Baker (backrow)

Trevor King (THP)

Max Craig (hooker)

Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (10)

Leafi Talataina (backrow)

Mason Gordon (10/15)

David Vaihu (centre/wing)

Daniel Maiava (6/8)

Liam Bowron (hooker)

Massimo De Lutiis (?)

Lachlan Hooper (?)

Klayton Thorn (9)

Matias Jensen (?)

Chris Mickelson (?)

Ned Slack-Smith (7/8)

Jhy Legg (?)

Darby Lancaster (wing/centre)

Jack Barrett (LHP)

Ollie McCrea (?)

Teddy Wilson (9)

Jack Bowen (10)

Henry O'Donnell (?)

Jackson Ropata (?)

Ben Daniels - 2nd row/ backrow?

Nick Bloomfield - Prop

Massimo De Lutiis - Prop

Lachlan Hooper - 6/8

Matias Jensen - centres

Chris Mickelson -front row/hooker?

Jhy Legg - 2nd row/ backrow?

Ollie McCrea - 2nd row

Henry O'Donnell - centres

Jackson Ropata centre/ wing?

ReeceHodgeOfficial

Stan Wickham (3)
Can't see Jorgenson playing in the World Championships, will be required for the Tahs quarter and possibly semi. He'll make Wallabies TRC squads (although unlikely to play a Test).

Agreed, unlikely indeed. Especially as Australia A games are back on the cards around the same time as the U20s championship. Would've been nice to see him spark some magic with some of the talent listed, but arguably better for his development to be involved in the senior squad.

justlookin

Stan Wickham (3)
I'll give an 'A team' a crack vs NZ and World Champs:

1. Barrett - Marley Pearce if released
2. Bowron
3. Jamie Clark
4. Talataina
5. Maiava
6. Slack-Smith
7. Hough
8. Hooper
9. Wilson
10. Bowen - Lynagh if released, form warranted
11. Vaihu
12. Annan
13. Lancaster
14. McLaughlin-Phillips (covers 10 if needed)
15. Mason Gordon - Jorgensen if released

Coach and social media manager: Reece Hodge

Notable omission Tom Morrison, should get some time off the bench or starting in some tournament games - one of the standouts in the U19 tournament last year for me.

Noting also Talataina and Maiava are back rowers imo, but might be seen as 2nd row at U20 age.
Surely you would need to be in the squad to make the 'A' team?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Has Annan always been a Centre? I know it's a step up but for the Reds at Super Rugby but he's looked lost there in defence.

O'Donnell is a very good player who is a genuine 12 not a forced one. Has a history of playing with Bowen as well. Played in the trials for the Tahs but hasn't had a call up proper yet.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Has Annan always been a Centre? I know it's a step up but for the Reds at Super Rugby but he's looked lost there in defence.

O'Donnell is a very good player who is a genuine 12 not a forced one. Has a history of playing with Bowen as well. Played in the trials for the Tahs but hasn't had a call up proper yet.
They started playing him there in the under 19s last year I believe, not sure if he had too much experience there before that, it's definitely an ongoing project. He has traditionally been a fullback with a bit of experience at 10, but it's pretty congested in that age group at 15, both in QLD and around the country, so it make sense for him to branch out, particularly given his frame.

justlookin

Stan Wickham (3)

Was O'Donnell the inside centre for the Tahs 19s last year?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Was O'Donnell the inside centre for the Tahs 19s last year?
Can't remember. I'd assume he would of for a couple of the games at least.

I worry about getting guys into new positions just because it's congested. I'm more of the opinion you leave them in their strongest and if they are good enough they will succeed at the professional level and if they can't make it then they weren't good enough. He definitely has the frame to do it and I'm judging an U20s player against NZ Super Rugby sides attacking him which can be unfair.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can't remember. I'd assume he would of for a couple of the games at least.

I worry about getting guys into new positions just because it's congested. I'm more of the opinion you leave them in their strongest and if they are good enough they will succeed at the professional level and if they can't make it then they weren't good enough. He definitely has the frame to do it and I'm judging an U20s player against NZ Super Rugby sides attacking him which can be unfair.
Yeah, it's tricky but it's also not like positions that age are set in stone - often these guys have played where there school team thought they could get the most impact, which might just be based on them being a leagues ahead of the guys around them in the age group, not necessarily where they're best suited to. It certainly doesn't seem like a knee jerk change though, Annan was very good at 12 for the under 19s and had a solid game against the Drua earlier this year. His worst game and the one he looked most exposed in defence was when he had to fill in late notice at 13.

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
They started playing him there in the under 19s last year I believe, not sure if he had too much experience there before that, it's definitely an ongoing project. He has traditionally been a fullback with a bit of experience at 10, but it's pretty congested in that age group at 15, both in QLD and around the country, so it make sense for him to branch out, particularly given his frame.
12 for the Tahs u19’s was Worthington. He is not in the squad.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Look I am sure the rugby academies are doing their best to identify and develop talent. These young guys should be the best of the best. And if they are, they should be competitive with every other international u20 team. The 2 games in New Zealand should be excellent preparation and hopefully they prepare accordingly. But if they fail like the 2022 junior Wallabies then the system needs to be thrown in the toilet.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Look I am sure the rugby academies are doing their best to identify and develop talent. These young guys should be the best of the best. And if they are, they should be competitive with every other international u20 team. The 2 games in New Zealand should be excellent preparation and hopefully they prepare accordingly. But if they fail like the 2022 junior Wallabies then the system needs to be thrown in the toilet.
Agreed.