• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Saw on TV news this morning they're going to trial a Smart Ball at the U20 Worlds. Sounded like they're just gunna collect data & see how many forward passes, not-straight lineout throws etc get missed rather than it being part of the decision-making/ decidion review process.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
smart ball technology offers so much potential, from a data capture and broadcast/infographic integration perspective. It could really be a value add for content creation.

Integration into officiating and on-field decisions needs to be a slow and deliberate process though. When it does integrate, I’d use it out with conversion and drop-goal attempts first before looking at touch line/forward passes etc.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Starting 7 last year. Injured?

Zac Hough has been starting in premier grade for wests most of year… he has looked like his made the jump quite successfully from a year of colts to now playing premier grade.

last game for wests he came off the bench… he’s currently behind Connor Anderson at wests who’s contracted to reds so it’s not a starting XV snub.

I was a little surprised to not see his name in the aus u20

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Integration into officiating and on-field decisions needs to be a slow and deliberate process though. When it does integrate, I’d use it out with conversion and drop-goal attempts first before looking at touch line/forward passes etc.

There's certainly some pretty good data gathering potential that should be available to compare to on field decisions.

Not straight lineouts is a good one. E.g. how far from the centre line were ones that were called vs ones that weren't etc.

I think plane of touch is one of the earliest aspects where it could be used to assist decision making. If the data is instantly available on where a kick for touch actually went out, why not use it?

I agree completely that we need to have a lot more understanding before we start using it with forward passes and whether the ball was planted over the try line or not.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There's certainly some pretty good data gathering potential that should be available to compare to on field decisions.

Not straight lineouts is a good one. E.g. how far from the centre line were ones that were called vs ones that weren't etc.

I think plane of touch is one of the earliest aspects where it could be used to assist decision making. If the data is instantly available on where a kick for touch actually went out, why not use it?

I agree completely that we need to have a lot more understanding before we start using it with forward passes and whether the ball was planted over the try line or not.
we gonna automate out touchies?

Can we use it like they do in tennis or cricket?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
we gonna automate out touchies?

Can we use it like they do in tennis or cricket?

I think it would only be really useful on decisions where the plane of touch is all that matters. It won't help on where/when a player stepped on the touch line. ARs still needed to assist with decision making and players going out etc.

Tennis and cricket is ball tracking based on cameras. This is ball tracking based on sensors in the ball. Maybe it will ultimately be useful in held up decisions because the technology can theoretically tell you whether the ball was on the ground or not.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My only comment on using it for the plane of touch; is the technology is based on telemetry with sensors placed around the field on a 2d plane, a kick for touch shifts it into 3d which can create erroneous data for telemetry given the vertical axis. That’s based on my conceptual understanding of the technology, I haven’t seen how this exact product would work though.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My only comment on using it for the plane of touch; is the technology is based on telemetry with sensors placed around the field on a 2d plane, a kick for touch shifts it into 3d which can create erroneous data for telemetry given the vertical movement. That’s based on my conceptual understanding of the technology, I haven’t seen how this exact product would work though.

It is meant to be able to accurately show the positioning of the ball within a cm in all directions (including vertically) so I wouldn't have thought it was an issue.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It is meant to be able to accurately show the positioning of the ball within a cm in all directions (including vertically) so I wouldn't have thought it was an issue.
‘Meant’ is the key word here

the higher the ball from a kick, the lesser the angle on ground sensors to calculate telemetry accurately, the lower the signal; all increases variability in the accuracy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
‘Meant’ is the key word here

the higher the ball from a kick, the lesser the angle on ground sensors to calculate telemetry accurately, the lower the signal; all increases variability in the accuracy.

I don't think the sensors on the ground are "viewing" where the ball is. They are determining the distance from the ball based on RFID and then between the sensors triangulating the exact position of the ball. On that basis I don't think angle and height matter so much. It is all just straight line distances.

I would assume that the signal emitted by the ball is strong enough that within a rugby field there isn't issues with signal strength.

I'm speculating here based on my understanding of the technology but this should be one of the easier things for the technology to accurately measure.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't think the sensors on the ground are "viewing" where the ball is. They are determining the distance from the ball based on RFID and then between the sensors triangulating the exact position of the ball. On that basis I don't think angle and height matter so much. It is all just straight line distances.

I would assume that the signal emitted by the ball is strong enough that within a rugby field there isn't issues with signal strength.

I'm speculating here based on my understanding of the technology but this should be one of the easier things for the technology to accurately measure.

Telemetry isn’t “viewing” the ball, it’s an all encompassing term that refers to the collection of flight information, I.e. location and speed

What you’ve described is a form of telemetry, ‘triangulation’ In this case is achieved through measuring time of arrival at the sensors; in which case angle does matter because the lesser the angle between sensors the closer the time of arrival will be and the greater the variability of accuracy.

they could/might have included extra sensors like accelerometers and gyroscopes and relay this through telemetry also.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
My only comment on using it for the plane of touch; is the technology is based on telemetry with sensors placed around the field on a 2d plane, a kick for touch shifts it into 3d which can create erroneous data for telemetry given the vertical axis. That’s based on my conceptual understanding of the technology, I haven’t seen how this exact product would work though.
If there are enough widely-spaced transceivers (the more, the better) then triangulation can determine location in 3D. ... if necessary to ensure diversity of their positioning, some could be mounted on poles to have a wider range for the vertical axis.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I was going to ask how well it works. I heard a story that when they first introduced this type of tech into soccer to help with whether a goal was scored, the tech said that 100 goals were scored in 1 match.

ReeceHodgeOfficial

Stan Wickham (3)
I'll give an 'A team' a crack vs NZ and World Champs:

1. Barrett - Marley Pearce if released
2. Bowron
3. Jamie Clark
4. Talataina
5. Maiava
6. Slack-Smith
7. Hough
8. Hooper
9. Wilson
10. Bowen - Lynagh if released, form warranted
11. Vaihu
12. Annan
13. Lancaster
14. McLaughlin-Phillips (covers 10 if needed)
15. Mason Gordon - Jorgensen if released

Coach and social media manager: Reece Hodge

Notable omission Tom Morrison, should get some time off the bench or starting in some tournament games - one of the standouts in the U19 tournament last year for me.

Noting also Talataina and Maiava are back rowers imo, but might be seen as 2nd row at U20 age.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Can anyone help with positions of other squad members?

Taj Annan (12)

John Bryant (8)

Ben Daniels (?)

Nick Bloomfield (?)

Harrison Usher (LHP)

Jarrod Homan (wing)

Tim Ryan (centre/Wing)

Nick Baker (backrow)

Trevor King (THP)

Max Craig (hooker)

Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (10)

Leafi Talataina (backrow)