• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wonder if the Tahs will let the Sydney Uni players play in the Club champ if not in the 23... Not U20 related i know but would be good for them if guys like Tolu Latu played.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Looks like there is no Oceania U20 tournament this year? Or can anyone confirm what the team lead-in preparation for the Junior Worlds is...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Looks like there is no Oceania U20 tournament this year? Or can anyone confirm what the team lead-in preparation for the Junior Worlds is...
Hopefully they have something planned. Cannot afford to go in cold as a team. Even if the team plays 3 games v Shute Shield or Qld Premier Club 1st Grades.

A lot of the players up until right now have had very limited playing time this year with no Club footy played yet and only a handful getting meaningful minutes in Super Rugby.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Took until May last year to announce the Oceania tournament 2 months later (Sunny Coast July 2022), potentially too early to call?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Took until May last year to announce the Oceania tournament 2 months later (Sunny Coast July 2022), potentially too early to call?
Looks like they 'll go to NZ in 4 weeks:

New Zealand v Australia in Wellington, Monday, May 29

New Zealand v Australia in Wellington, Saturday, June 3

Whether that constitutes the Oceania tournament seems unknown.

3-4 weeks after that is the JWC

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Junior Wallabies Squad
k5jMnvA5YW80AUavi5bAA2CZxYEKUc9_sw-IYVbWpMULtHY8qrmTPU19etbT286-Fu89xYOKy4CPvMdxOdIsPGYV3Odv5YFcO193VDuau2ZHVMP4=s0-d-e1-ft
k5jMnvA5YW80AUavi5bAA2CZxYEKUc9_sw-IYVbWpMULtHY8qrmTPU19etbT286-Fu89xYOKy4CPvMdxOdIsPGYV3Odv5YFcO193VDuau2ZHVMP4=s0-d-e1-ft
Reds
Floyd Aubrey (GPS)
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (Souths)
John Bryant (Souths)
Ben Daniels (Brothers)
Nick Bloomfield (Easts)
Harrison Usher (Bond)
Jarrod Homan (Easts)
Tim Ryan (Brothers)
Nick Baker (GPS)
Max Craig (Easts)

Rebels
Patrick Lavemai (Melbourne Harlequins)
Leafi Talataina (Endeavour Hills)
Mason Gordon (Wests Bulldogs)
David Vaihu (Wests Bulldogs)
Zac Hough (Wests Bulldogs)
Joey Fowler (Sydney Uni)
Brumbies
Liam Bowron (Royals)
Massimo De Lutiis (Wests)
Lachlan Hooper (Tuggeranong)
Klayton Thorn (Gungahlin)
Henry Palmer (Tuggeranong)
Austin Anderson (Wests)
Matias Jensen (Randwick)
Baden Godfrey (Tuggeranong)
Chris Mickelson (Uni-Norths)
Toby MacPherson (Uni-Norths)
Xavier Degai (Southern Districts)

Force
Marley Pearce (Joondalup Brothers)
Ned Slack-Smith (Palmyra)
Ryan McGloin (Joondalup Brothers)
Jhy Legg (Wests Scarborough)
Waratahs
Jack Barrett (Randwick)
Fritz Jahnke-Tavana (Eastwood)
Ollie McCrea (Eastern Suburbs)
Teddy Wilson (Eastern Suburbs)
Jack Bowen (Eastern Suburbs)
Henry O'Donnell (Northern Suburbs)
Charlie Worthington (Randwick)
Tom Morrison (Sydney Uni)
Jackson Ropata (Southern Districts)
Dan Nelson (Sydney Uni)

*Max Jorgensen, Tom Lynagh, Taj Annan, Daniel Maiava unavailable for selection due to Super Rugby Pacific club commitments, and Darby Lancaster unavailable due to AU Sevens commitments.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby Australia has named a 41-man Junior Wallabies squad as preparations build for the World Rugby U20 Championship 2023 in South Africa.

The selected players will attend a ten-day training camp with head coach Nathan Grey at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra from Sunday 23 April.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm somewhat surprised that the Tahs are willing to release Teddy Wilson for this. I would have thought he'd be in their preferred matchday 23 now.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Strong spread across all Franchises which is a nice thing to see for hopeful future success. Didn't know Fowler was at the Rebels. Very good young 10 who probably didn't get as much talk because of Bowen when he was in yr 11 and then Jorgensen when he was in yr 12.

Might try and do a hack job of my starting XV later although I'm less across the Forwards

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm somewhat surprised that the Tahs are willing to release Teddy Wilson for this. I would have thought he'd be in their preferred matchday 23 now.
Could they change their position depending on how their finals chances are looking? Goddard has looked comfortable when needed. DC has tried to give both an opportunity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Could they change their position depending on how their finals chances are looking? Goddard has looked comfortable when needed. DC has tried to give both an opportunity.

I'd say so. I definitely want Wilson to go to the Under 20 World Cup. That should supersede being a reserve in Super Rugby.

I'd want him missing this camp to play a couple more Super Rugby games though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
1. Barrett
2. Craig
3. De Lutiis
4. Maiava
5. Talataina
6. Hooper
7. Hough
8. Slack-Smith
9. Wilson
10. Bowen
11. Homan
12. O'Donnell
13. Annan
14. Aubrey
15. Jorgensen

A lot I don't know, so it's from past memory of mainly U19s, current Club/Super and last years team. I have seen a lot more of the NSW boys along the line though.

Last edited:

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
1. Barrett
2. Craig
3. De Lutiis
4. Maiava
5. Talataina
6. Hooper
7. Hough
8. Slack-Smith
9. Wilson
10. Bowen
11. Homan
12. O'Donnell
13. Annan
14. Aubrey
15. Jorgensen

A lot I don't know, so it's from past memory of mainly U19s, current Club/Super and last years team. I have seen a lot more of the NSW boys along the line though.
Good start.
Annan at 12. Vaihu 13?
Lynagh might get the leg up at 10. I would prefer Bowen only for the good combination with Teddy. Lynagh is the better goal kicker.
If Jorgensen’s with Wallabies, I would go with Gordon at fullback and keep Aubrey on the wing. Gordon a good bench spot for 10,12 and 15 anyway. Fowler does alright at 10 but probably can wait to next year.
Nick Baker off the bench?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Good start.
Annan at 12. Vaihu 13?
Lynagh might get the leg up at 10. I would prefer Bowen only for the good combination with Teddy. Lynagh is the better goal kicker.
If Jorgensen’s with Wallabies, I would go with Gordon at fullback and keep Aubrey on the wing. Gordon a good bench spot for 10,12 and 15 anyway. Fowler does alright at 10 but probably can wait to next year.
Nick Baker off the bench?
Those centres might be a good call. O'Donnell has history with Bowen as well all through School and he looked quite good for the Tahs in the trials and so far in Shute Shield. Bowen v Lynagh is definitely going to split people. His performances for the Reds were good to see but I think Bowen could have done similar and hasn't had the opportunity with the Tahs as yet.

I agree about Gordon at 15. He will be in the match day 23.

I put Barrett in at Prop purely through recognising him the most but I know he's young still and there may be more developed around the country.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What's Bowen's credentials? I've seen his name thrown around heaps recently. Is he the next big thing as was Donaldson, Edmed, Harrison etc? or is he step above? Has he done anything past high school?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What's Bowen's credentials? I've seen his name thrown around heaps recently. Is he the next big thing as was Donaldson, Edmed, Harrison etc? or is he step above? Has he done anything past high school?

hes been playing Premier Grade for a couple of years.

As for the above, Marley Pearce has been getting game time for the Force and would have to be a shot. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips is special too.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Last year in U20s Bowen and Gordon both played 10 and not much between them. Bowen will take over Donaldson and Tane in the next 18 months. Bowen and Wilson have played together for years and have a good combination. I watched a recent Shute Shield game and Bowen seems to have kicked on from last year. A few brain lapses as they do at that age. Son of a former Wallaby so has a bit of an edge.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
hes been playing Premier Grade for a couple of years.

As for the above, Marley Pearce has been getting game time for the Force and would have to be a shot. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips is special too.
Unlikely that McLaughlin-Phillips will start at 10, but he could easily beat the other options to a bench spot as he probably offers a bit more back 3 cover.

I expect we'll be seeing Bowen and Lynagh trade starts initially though, Bowen has the combination with Wilson but Lynagh's game is ready made for tournament play, his boot will be invaluable.