• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jorgenson looks special but could be made to look silly if rushed too early like we have a habit of doing with kids.

I don't think there is much danger of that in the under 20s.

He's surely going to be a starting XV player in this side. He's likely to be one of the few with Super Rugby experience under his belt by the time the tournament starts.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH I think there could be a few of these players with Super Rugby experience by the time time the tournament gets underway. With the compulsory resting of key Wallabies during the season, in positions like prop, hooker, half back, No 10 and perhaps fullback some teams will be fielding their third choice players at least on the bench but more than likely for upwards of half a match from time to time.

I have in mind, for example, Klayton Thorn at the Brumbies who will likely get a call up when Nic White"s rest comes up on the roster. He's already had good time in the trials this year and looked comfortably good. Others like McLaughlin-Phillips and Marley Pearce will probably get a run when otherwise that might not have been on the cards this year.

Could be a few others as well.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
BH I think there could be a few of these players with Super Rugby experience by the time time the tournament gets underway. With the compulsory resting of key Wallabies during the season, in positions like prop, hooker, half back, No 10 and perhaps fullback some teams will be fielding their third choice players at least on the bench but more than likely for upwards of half a match from time to time.

I have in mind, for example, Klayton Thorn at the Brumbies who will likely get a call up when Nic White"s rest comes up on the roster. He's already had good time in the trials this year and looked comfortably good. Others like McLaughlin-Phillips and Marley Pearce will probably get a run when otherwise that might not have been on the cards this year.

Could be a few others as well.
I'd be pretty surprised if McLaughlin-Phillips got a run for the Reds this year, he had a good couple of touches in the trial against the Force but there are a fair few players ahead of him outside the 23. From a Reds perspective I do expect Lynagh will see game time though, Annan and Aubrey are a chance too. Upfiled and/or Daniels could also get game time given the injuries at lock

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sure BH but my point was that I think there might be a few more than you suggested, at least the way I read the comment. Certainly, looks like there could be a few at the Reds according to Wilson.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Sure BH but my point was that I think there might be a few more than you suggested, at least the way I read the comment. Certainly, looks like there could be a few at the Reds according to Wilson.
To be clear I also think Jorgensen is just about as close as you can have to a sure thing in that squad*. Not sure if he'll be a wing or fullback though, there's a lot of guys there that can cover fullback.

*Zac Hough maybe even more certain given he's the only open side in the squad.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think there is much danger of that in the under 20s.

He's surely going to be a starting XV player in this side. He's likely to be one of the few with Super Rugby experience under his belt by the time the tournament starts.
Some JW player had Super Rugby experience last year and looked seriously out of their depth at this U20 international level. So there is a danger.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I said: "He's likely to be one of the few with Super Rugby experience under his belt"

You then said "BH I think there could be a few of these players with Super Rugby experience by the time time the tournament gets underway."

We both used the term few. How exactly is your few a larger number than my few? It's the same word!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Same word BH but in no way a specific number. The context of its use determines how big or small a few is. But to clarify, I reckon there could be more of the U20s with Super Rugby experience this year than I understood you were referring to.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That makes me one of a group containing every other GAGR poster ever, BH. But I do now worry about your telepathic capabilities. I, apparently, just mistakenly misinterpreted the number you meant, while you are exactly on the mark about how many I was thinking about. Compelling stuff.

What are your tips for the weekend?

Of course, you'll already know what I think:

Brumbies over the Tahs by < 7;
Chiefs over the Saders by < 7;
Blues over the Clan by 12 - 15;
Rebels over the Force by 15+;
Drua over the Pacifica by 22+; and
Canes over the Reds by 15 - 20.

EDIT : Sorry, wrong thread. Post a reply on the SR23 thread if so inclined. I'm sure I just received the message about the thread as a voice in my head.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Strange the Reds and Rebels could not have played each other?
Doesn't make much sense when the main teams are on opposite sides of the country this weekend, I think the idea with these games is minimal cost as much as anything else.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I agree.

Saving on the travel cost perhaps but getting a game in anyway? Eastwood has to head to Melbourne without 50% of the team that played finals last year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah that's my bad for some reason I was thinking Wests (West Harbour) not the QLD Wests and both teams were in Sydney.