• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Bowen is the son of Scott Bowen, former Wallaby who is/was intwined in junior development. Yes in my opinion there are a dozen better 10's than him the most notable being Harry Mclaughlan Phillips who scored the last try and set up what should have been the match winner only for another of the "anointed" juniors in David Vaihu to blow it. Why is Bowen there? I believe it is due to horrible pathway structures we have in place, also being the son of wallaby helps. Boy attends GPS school he is already 75% ahead of the rest of society who dont get looked at for these teams. The issue with our pathways is these kids are put into stupid academies or whatever they want to call it, they are identified at 14 or 15 and my belief is that RA have already invested so much time/money into them that they feel obliged to select them.
That was awful pretty much from start to finish.

Who is Jack Bowen? Is there no better option than him?

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes thats David Vahiu another anointed child star who has done nothing of note to earn this jumper. He completely blew the game for them by failing to pass on the inside with 3 unmarked team mates in support. I also felt Jack Bowen has been very disappointing this tournament, Aussies looked good with H.M.P @ 10. Vahiu is a classic example of a big islander child at 14 and 15 years of age dominating his age group and getting the saloon passage through the under age rep teams. It is a sad indictment of Australian rugby that this continues to happen.

Vaihu has been one of the standouts backs for Australia at the tournament. He won man of the match in the first game against Fiji i'm pretty sure.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
It’s laughable for people to think in a pro environment certain players get a leg up because of their name. As if people are prepared to put their job on the line by not selecting the best possible players. This thought process just doesn’t make sense. “Hey I’m prepared to lose my 6 figure salary because I want to pick an ex-players son over a more talented player”. See how stupid that sounds when said out loud.

I generally think there is a strong correlation between past players and their fathers because they have someone growing up that understands what areas to focus on, the mentality needed and from a young age have access to greater resources which ultimately makes them better players.

Wilson and Bowen are potentially the elite halves combo of the competition. Although I think Bowen has a lot of work to do on his kicking, his passing and vision is elite. They also aren’t getting much from the pack in front of them which hampers the best of halves.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm always a bit cynical of these posters who very rarely pop up from the schoolboys forum to shitcan players who are seemingly good enough to earn Super Rugby contracts...
its not shitcanning, it is speaking the truth. he might have earnt a super rugby contract, it doesnt mean he deserves one. If we are to improve as a country we need to move away from the status quo.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
its not shitcanning, it is speaking the truth. he might have earnt a super rugby contract, it doesnt mean he deserves one. If we are to improve as a country we need to move away from the status quo.
I'm excited to hear about the dozen 10's who are better than Bowen. I see Maclaughlin-Phillips is getting big wraps in QLD grade rugby. Bowen is impressing with Easts in Sydney. I assume the other 11 better options are also starting for their Shute Shield/Hospital Cup teams? Or has Scott Bowen stopped that from occurring?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Bowen is very clearly an excellent talent and has looked good starting in the Shute Shield from when he was 18.

There's absolutely zero surprise he's been selected for various rep teams and has a Super Rugby contract. It's because he's very good.

Wasn't Bowen touted as the next Waratahs flyhalf? Better than the current crop of youngsters?

Yes. In my view he's a massive priority for the Waratahs to keep. I think he'll be the starter within a couple of years.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Can you explain how earning a contract doesn't mean he deserves it? Earning it would mean he's put in the work for it right?

You're on a tear here and go for it but the comments don't make sense if youve watched the 5 U20s games this year. Do you hold the same opinion of Lynagh, Jorgenson, Wilson, Hooper? Have they skipped the que because of family ties?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Yes thats David Vahiu another anointed child star who has done nothing of note to earn this jumper. He completely blew the game for them by failing to pass on the inside with 3 unmarked team mates in support. I also felt Jack Bowen has been very disappointing this tournament, Aussies looked good with H.M.P @ 10. Vahiu is a classic example of a big islander child at 14 and 15 years of age dominating his age group and getting the saloon passage through the under age rep teams. It is a sad indictment of Australian rugby that this continues to happen.
What on earth?

The 13 was O'Donnell.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can you explain how earning a contract doesn't mean he deserves it? Earning it would mean he's put in the work for it right?

You're on a tear here and go for it but the comments don't make sense if youve watched the 5 U20s games this year. Do you hold the same opinion of Lynagh, Jorgenson, Wilson, Hooper? Have they skipped the que because of family ties?
Let me preface what i am saying. I believe that have worked i probably phrased things incorrectly. I feel that they have been placed on a pedestal for what they have done as 14/15 year old. I feel that despite what others have done in those ensuing years these guys who were placed on the pedestal at 14/15 are pursued with due to so much time/money/energy invested in them and it would mean an admission of not getting it right if they didnt choose them. With regards Lynagh i 100% believe he is only there due to his surname, i watched him play 1st grade colts for UQ last year and he just looked like a standard 1st colts player not a super rugby player. Lachlan Hooper is an outstanding prospect and another year left in the 20''s program, Jorgenson is a far better player than his father and the jury is out on Wilson for me. I ask would he have been in discussions if it wasnt who he was related to?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
the jury is out on Wilson for me. I ask would he have been in discussions if it wasnt who he was related to?
Yes. He's again excelled playing Shute Shield from 18 years old. It is clear that he is very good. How good remains to be seen.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Let me preface what i am saying. I believe that have worked i probably phrased things incorrectly. I feel that they have been placed on a pedestal for what they have done as 14/15 year old. I feel that despite what others have done in those ensuing years these guys who were placed on the pedestal at 14/15 are pursued with due to so much time/money/energy invested in them and it would mean an admission of not getting it right if they didnt choose them. With regards Lynagh i 100% believe he is only there due to his surname, i watched him play 1st grade colts for UQ last year and he just looked like a standard 1st colts player not a super rugby player. Lachlan Hooper is an outstanding prospect and another year left in the 20''s program, Jorgenson is a far better player than his father and the jury is out on Wilson for me. I ask would he have been in discussions if it wasnt who he was related to?
Ok. I disagree, but everyone is entitled to their opinion on players. Don't want to be skewering these guys who a lot of them are still teenagers.

Don't disagree about the notion some kids are put on a track young and will be left on it. Very rarely do these guys end up having professional careers where they are being paid so only time will tell with the aforementioned players.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Henry O'Donnell has been consistently great in both shute shield and for the u20's. He's a serious contender for the 12/13 jersey for the tahs in a few years.