• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He needs to pick up the ball to do that, was it just me or does he just leave the ball on the ground after it clears a ruck or scrum for an extended period of time?
True, but invariably when he did pick it up he double pumped to get the pass away. Don't remember him having those problems playing for the Reds.

Reactions: dru

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yep argies destroyed our scrum. 2 penalty tries said it all. The kicking out on the full for the penalty take a pity as well.
The scrum interpretations by the referee were interesting. The Argies won a lot of their own ball with a hit and follow combined with quick feed that the referee let them get away with (almost pushing before the ball is in). Conversely, when the Aussies fed their own ball they waited for stability which the Argies then found difficult to counter and the result was a stable scrum and clean ball to the feeding team. This is how the scrum is supposed to be refereed. The Argies were only penalised once for standing up, yet it happened consistently and the Aussies were penalised rather than being rewarded, especially when the Aussie front row remain down and bound.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
True, but invariably when he did pick it up he double pumped to get the pass away. Don't remember him having those problems playing for the Reds.
In my eyes he's always had noticeably slow service, and even just seems a bit delayed getting to the rucks. I don't mind the rest of his game, but he just doesn't seem to have that sense of urgency or franticness that many top halfbacks have.

I feel like his game progressed for the Reds this year though, compared to the showings he was putting in last year. Hopefully he continues that way.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
We got absolutely minced up front. Just because a player pops in the scrum doesn’t mean he’s at fault. Plus if it was legit skullduggery the issues would of remained when the new TH came on, which it didn’t.

They demolished us upfront, complaining about other wise is like saying I know they scored 8 try’s in the game but everyone of them was an obstruction.

It looked like the Aussie no3 was emotional at the end of the game when creating a tunnel for the opposition to walk through. Hopefully someone puts their arm around him, he learns from it but I think he also knew he was a major factor in what happened.

Also poor coaching from Grey to bring him back into the field after the yellow and then persisting several scrums later when it continued to fall apart again. Didn’t do the player or team any favors

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
We got absolutely minced up front. Just because a player pops in the scrum doesn’t mean he’s at fault. Plus if it was legit skullduggery the issues would of remained when the new TH came on, which it didn’t.

They demolished us upfront, complaining about other wise is like saying I know they scored 8 try’s in the game but everyone of them was an obstruction.

It looked like the Aussie no3 was emotional at the end of the game when creating a tunnel for the opposition to walk through. Hopefully someone puts their arm around him but I think he also knew he was a major factor in what happened.
Not disputing the scrum result at all, the ref should’ve been harsher on us. Just curious how they can get such forward momentum and stand up, every time I’m back pedalling i pop up first.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We got absolutely minced up front. Just because a player pops in the scrum doesn’t mean he’s at fault.

idk - my understanding is the ref will/should ping for that.

Plus if it was legit skullduggery the issues would of remained when the new TH came on, which it didn’t.

Yes that is an indicator but it's not the whole story. To start with the 18 DID get pinged (not as often or obviously to be fair). And it can talk to which player is dealing with the shenanigans better.

Yes they did - consistent with the ref's adjudicating. Yes, you'd think that if the ref had been more effective, the scrum would still have been dominant for Argie, but we'll never know will we?

It looked like the Aussie no3 was emotional at the end of the game when creating a tunnel for the opposition to walk through. Hopefully someone puts their arm around him, he learns from it but I think he also knew he was a major factor in what happened.

It's got to be a tough experience for the guy. u20s international, career in front of him, and that result. Def expect the team officials to get behind the bloke.
Also poor coaching from Grey to bring him back into the field after the yellow and then persisting several scrums later when it continued to fall apart again. Didn’t do the player or team any favors

Yep.

From my POV, the Argie scrum in the main, was doing two things. 1. to pull back on engagement, 2. step sideways or shift the angle of attack - after the engage - from the LHP. It seemed to me that is was not a true "wheel", and that if it was it was initiated by the Argie #1. The ref was not calling either. The popped Argie hooker was seen as happening after the Argie scrum had ascended, which is probably right. My biggest gripe, and this happens with ref adjudication at all levels, is when the Aussies were going backwards, but square, he would penalise. I really don't understand how that is a penalty, but that is just me.

In the middle of all that, calling back one of the few kicks that actually did what it should do, for an knock-on "advantage" having pinged the Aussie scrum off the park and having just carded the Aussie #3, well it seems simply bazaar.

Yes, the players, including the front row, have to play to the ref's interpretation. They could have done a lot better. But surely the ref has to own up here. Def don't want to see him in Tests, u20 would seem to be his "elevation to point of incompetence".

Last edited:

Graham Welsh

Bob McCowan (2)
This team looks like the priority is developing the U19 boys for next year. The set piece in general was not good, the continual kicks in play when we had the ball looked like running rugby was not a game plan. It was not a pretty game to watch and the Argie's did not help in opening up the game by continually resetting the scrum. Not a show piece for rugby but they won the game, well done to their coaching team.

Roger Tessman

Stan Wickham (3)
This game took me back to 2018 (maybe 2019) U20s first game, then we come out firing. A couple of injuries that may rule out players for the next 2 games.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)

Thus far, I'm unimpressed with Grey as the choice of coach. The boys looked unprepared and unorganised which I put on the coaching team.

Surely U20s is an opportunity to give a developing coach an opportunity rather than a failed Super Rugby manager?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dunno Marce. One shite game shouldn't condemn a kid, but his strengths were overwrought by his weakness tonight. I don't have an issue with him in the Red squad with a promised future.
Dru, I thought the commentator said both the brothers were at the Rebels? I also believe you need to give some space for the weather which looked atrocious. I thought he went well and is a good prospect but I expect his brother Carter to eclipse Noah after the RWC as I believe he is a natural 10 with good skills, kicking game (improving) and aggression.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, I thought the commentator said both the brothers were at the Rebels? I also believe you need to give some space for the weather which looked atrocious. I thought he went well and is a good prospect but I expect his brother Carter to eclipse Noah after the RWC as I believe he is a natural 10 with good skills, kicking game (improving) and aggression.

Oh completely. Did I fuck up his team? Apols.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Team for Fiji should be named today.

Werchon to come in for Thomas at 9.
Bowen to play 10 in lieu of Gordon.
Hough in at 7 and Gibson and Watts to play at 6 or 8.
Front row likely to be Tagg, Craig and Amone

Aubrey might start at 15?

Assuming captain Slack-Smith or vice captain Gordon will start again. I would lean toward Gordon but play him at 12.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Assuming captain Slack-Smith or vice captain Gordon will start again. I would lean toward Gordon but play him at 12.
Gordon is an interesting one to consider.

What is the point of U20's internationals, is it to try to improve talent to be a viable choice for the Wallabies in the future, or to simply win the next game.

I think I would start Gordon, but only give him half a game and tell him that this is what is happening. He needs a chance to make up for his last game and prove to himself that he is up to the task, which I think he will be.

If I am coach and just want to win, I would drop him after one bad game and potentially destroy his confidence and future after one bad game.

I say play him for a half and then let his backup get decent minutes to earn his spot.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Thus far, I'm unimpressed with Grey as the choice of coach. The boys looked unprepared and unorganised which I put on the coaching team.

Surely U20s is an opportunity to give a developing coach an opportunity rather than a failed Super Rugby manager?

Agree. For these young men it's the biggest games they have played so far and they get coached by someone who just wants to be a coach but probably shouldn't be. I don't know what Grey has done to earn this role that should be used to develop up and coming coaches that will also flow into Super Rugby.

I feel for our 9. He was constantly on the back foot looking for the 10 or some some ball runners which weren't there. Ripley showed glimpses but the backrow need to fire up and take some carries to allow the backline to move forward.

Rae Rae

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
. I don't know what Grey has done to earn this role that should be used to develop up and coming coaches that will also flow into Super Rugby.

The commentator on Friday night listed Nathan Grey coaching resume and it absolutely sounds like a job for him.

has been on coaching staffs with the rebels and warratahs - Sounds like a up and coming coach to me…. Just waiting for his first opportunity.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The commentator on Friday night listed Nathan Grey coaching resume and it absolutely sounds like a job for him.

has been on coaching staffs with the rebels and warratahs - Sounds like a up and coming coach to me…. Just waiting for his first opportunity.

If the Commentator said it then that's enough for me then.... Don't think he's done too well at those stops. Certainly hasn't be retained.

Better Coach than Rae Rae though

Roger Tessman

Stan Wickham (3)

I think you will find the Fiji game will have a complete new team, with the players from game 1 returning against NZ.