• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The issues are clear, the solution not so much
Analyse where the little bit of money we do have is being spent.
Challenge if this is the best way to spend.

When someone has a innovative different idea or opinion be open minded enough to explore it instead of immediate shit canning. - Same old gets same old

Stop worrying about the "other " games - focus on our own program.

Leverage where there is strength - Club land Sydney and Brisbane (Canberra)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

When someone has a innovative different idea or opinion be open minded enough to explore it instead of immediate shit canning. - Same old gets same old

Besides the further funding cuts or redirection of funding, the rest are nice concepts(and arguably already occurring), but not really a solution to the issue.

Development costs money and RA they need more of it, its that simple. RA now operates on a smaller budget then individual AFL clubs. That’s not worrying about other programs, that‘s an acknowledgement to the competition that exists in the market.

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

I’m sure they already consistently look at where the money is spent also when has RA shit canned an idea? The shit canning usually comes from a loud selection of the public which then compromises the integrity of an idea/competition they try to install, which then sees it collapse.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I’m sure they already consistently look at where the money is spent also when has Rugby Australia shit canned an idea? The shit canning usually comes from a loud selection of the public which then compromises the integrity of an idea/competition they try to install, which then sees it collapse.
RA only shit can things a year after spending the money.

Rae Rae

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
It is definitely not a poor cohort.
I have said this elsewhere but to be clear the Junior wallaby selectors focussed on 18/19 year olds with a view to next year which means some very talented 19/20 year old were cast aside.

the current 20 year old cohort from QLD as an age group since Under 14/15 have flogged NSW yearly through Junior Gold Cup, U16 Pathways and U18 carnivals yet NSW academy dominated the numbers in the Junior Wallabies camps?
Can I ask the question - why focus on next year. What is wrong with playing our best available now. I see it in junior Rugby selections Both schools and club. That player was picked because he will be good next year - not this year.
Other little bugbear is we pick players out of position. Again Player A deserves to play in the top team but he may not be the best player in his position but Player A get selected in said position. More so in the backs with interchangeable centre (who may also play 10)and now we have the back three not wingers and fullback s (who may also play 10).

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
What a debacle the whole Junior Wallabies campaign has been. From the first camps selected you could tell they had picked too many U19 guys who were going to be cannon fodder for any half decent Kiwi team.

Then they ignored the older lads in the forwards for the crunch game against the Kiwis, picking two backrowers who were at school last year and a 9/10 combo who looked ordinary v Argentina.

The other teams must be quivering about the 2023 U20 World Cup that our dumb talent ID and selection process will throw up many of the same names, having again done no proactive game condition player benchmarking. Just a lot of joining theoretical dots and relying on hearsay and noise.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Can I ask the question - why focus on next year. What is wrong with playing our best available now. I see it in junior Rugby selections Both schools and club. That player was picked because he will be good next year - not this year.
Other little bugbear is we pick players out of position. Again Player A deserves to play in the top team but he may not be the best player in his position but Player A get selected in said position. More so in the backs with interchangeable centre (who may also play 10)and now we have the back three not wingers and fullback s (who may also play 10).

EXACTLY.

I am so over hearing the term - POTENTIAL

and it goes all the way to the wallabies with Vunavalu as well.

How about we decide on picking the best person for the job that needs doing?

Roger Tessman

Stan Wickham (3)
It was a shit show from the beginning. Selections questionable. The QLD players that have played at an impressive level throughout schoolboys, club and super must have played their worst in history. Grealy, Thomas, Ripley, Gordon, Aubrey, Baker, Hough, Gibson were at an all time low. You can’t justify all of these players having shockers. What went wrong? Where was Tierney and Romano? Forward selections were fucked up.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was a shit show from the beginning. Selections questionable. The QLD players that have played at an impressive level throughout schoolboys, club and super must have played their worst in history. Grealy, Thomas, Ripley, Gordon, Aubrey, Baker, Hough, Gibson were at an all time low. You can’t justify all of these players having shockers. What went wrong? Where was Tierney and Romano? Forward selections were fucked up.
I was told just yesterday that the #8 from Souths in Brisbane Sam Mataafa was also eligible for 20’s, but not even considered for a camp… I couldn’t believe a guy who has been dominant in Premier Rugby all season was not even looked at.
Makes you wonder what the people in the know are watching!

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
no, they weren’t.

And it’s not just the lockdowns it was the ongoing interstate-border restrictions which have impacted national programs.
Don’t say that to the Aucklanders who couldn’t even leave home to drive to the KFC drive through, that even made the news here. No point arguing who has the tougher time with Covid lockdowns, point is we are well below their level now and three years ago we weren’t.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
i think people need to accept the game is broke.. You can say every country had its battle with Covid, but very few came as close to bankruptcy as Australia did, there aren’t many who are in such a poor position financially as Australia is either.

That’s not an excuse, nor am I happy with the performance. But shit what do people really expect to happen, most of these good ideas for improving results cost money.

This isn’t unique to U20s, the same results are going to occur for the womens national team at the World Cup as well sadly. They’re amateurs playing against professionals. And as I’ve banged on about in other threads, it’s an early indicator for future of super rugby results if the funding inequality remains as is.
You’ve certainly jumped to RA’s defence in many threads. Can you explain “funding inequality “ as it stands ?

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
You’ve certainly jumped to Rugby Australia’s defence in many threads. Can you explain “funding inequality “ as it stands ?
I think Adam may be referring to the heinous giant waste of money the government (be it state or federal) does in constantly throwing millions of dollars into the money pit that is those parochial interstate suburban competitions in the NRL & AFL.

Soccer commentator Simon Hill infamously kicked off a firestorm on Adelaide radio station Fiveaa in 2017 when he suggested that the reason why Australia struggles on the international stage in sports that matter like rugby and soccer is because governments are forever throwing millions of dollars at "internationally dead end" sports like Aussie Rules and rugby league.

Simple fact is we're never going to reach the heights in rugby again like we once did until governments state and federal start putting proper investment into the sport instead of pissing money down the drain on sports like league and AFL where representing your state is a bigger deal than representing your country.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Don’t say that to the Aucklanders who couldn’t even leave home to drive to the KFC drive through, that even made the news here. No point arguing who has the tougher time with Covid lockdowns, point is we are well below their level now and three years ago we weren’t.
How about you don’t try saying that to someone who lived in Sydney or Melbourne, someone who didn’t see their family for over a year. I’m well aware of curfews and travel restrictions having lived it. Understand the Queensland version was different to what we had down south.

However in the context of your comment and this discussion, there weren’t long-term inter-state border restrictions in NZ like Australia had which stopped national programs occurring.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think Adam may be referring to the heinous giant waste of money the government does in constantly throwing millions of dollars into the money pit that is those parochial interstate suburban competitions in the NRL & AFL.
He might be referring to that.

But I suspect it more likely is the cash disparity with NZ and their teams:

Anyway, bloke is here now and can reply for his self!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You’ve certainly jumped to Rugby Australia’s defence in many threads. Can you explain “funding inequality “ as it stands ?
Nah, pointing out the game is financially broke when people are pushing ideas to spend money isn’t ‘jumping to the defence’ of Rugby Australia.

The ‘funding inequality’ comment refers to the growing disparity in resources available to TT Super Rugby teams and the impact this will have on the
of the competitiveness of the tournament.

Last edited:

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Nah, pointing out the game is financially broke when people are pushing ideas to spend money isn’t ‘jumping to the defence’ of Rugby Australia.

Funding inequality refers to the growing disparity in resources available to TT Super Rugby teams and the impact this will have on the
of the competitiveness of the tournament.
It doesn't help the Super teams are largely funded by their respective state unions who use said funding to feather their own nests ie their own pockets and their respective suburban club competitions.

I'm absolutely convinced all these years later that's where the money the ARU got from the 2003 World Cup went and I hope the same thing doesn't happen again when we host the 2027 edition.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It doesn't help the Super teams are largely funded by their respective state unions who use said funding to feather their own nests ie their own pockets and their respective suburban club competitions.

I'm absolutely convinced all these years later that's where the money the ARU got from the 2003 World Cup went and I hope the same thing doesn't happen again when we host the 2027 edition.
You think the club competitions saw some of the money? Thats funny.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I have spoken with a few of the lads about the camps and program and from what I can gather you are correct with the use of the term "shit show".

Start to finish there were a lot of un-happy troops in the playing ranks.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I have spoken with a few of the lads about the camps and program and from what I can gather you are correct with the use of the term "shit show".

Start to finish there were a lot of un-happy troops in the playing ranks.
RugbyReg it would be laughable if it wasn't true