• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well SA host the yearly u18 International Series which include England, France , italy and Argentinia after Craven Week to give our SA School teams a run. Last year we played in the 6 Nations u20 summer series, we had our actual u20s, clean sweep the tournament BUT the NH teams used it as preparation for the 6 nations and current u20 crop.. So most of these players are use to play at Paarl Gimnasium and Italy and Leinster as example have a lot of u20s featuring in the URC competition. SA only runs our u20 CC as preparation, so all in all the SH teams are well below the NH teams in experience and preparation. We try to match them on skill but those days are long gone. South Africa is lucky to play in their leagues and competitions. The measurement is France and specially Ireland. Strong structures from youth to senior.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Junior Wallabies head coach Nathan Grey has called up NSW Waratahs forwards Clem Halaholo and Tevita Alatini to join the squad in South Africa for the remainder of the World Rugby U20 Championship 2023.

The Waratahs duo will replace Jhy Legg (ankle) and Massimo de Lutiis (hamstring), who both succumbed to injury in Thursday's 30-10 defeat to Ireland at Paarl Gymnasium.

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
A bit like the Reds this season- if you come second in the tight five all the talent behind that can‘t save you. But there does seem good talent around in the back row and backs that gives some hope

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Junior Wallabies head coach Nathan Grey has called up NSW Waratahs forwards Clem Halaholo and Tevita Alatini to join the squad in South Africa for the remainder of the World Rugby U20 Championship 2023.

The Waratahs duo will replace Jhy Legg (ankle) and Massimo de Lutiis (hamstring), who both succumbed to injury in Thursday's 30-10 defeat to Ireland at Paarl Gymnasium.
I thought Alatini was with the Brumbies??? Happy to stand corrected.
Good luck to the young bloke.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
The Irish 10 played for Leinster against the Lions and Bulls in SA in the URC.
I’ve been reading a lot about the Irish 10. Yes he has a beautiful boot and loops around the back of his outside backs in excellent support. However I thought he threw at least 4 forward passes with his short passing game and crabs straight across field before looping around. To be honest he was very easy to pick what he was doing and no variation in his game. Plays likes a 10 from the 1980’s.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah I’ve heard nothing but his name leading into the tournament.

Bit harsh to judge off the one game I’ve watched him ever but I wasn’t blown away. Poor conditions sure and he probably pulled his game back but he was just shovelling the ball along (forward). I thought the 9 & 13 dominated the back play and 8 had them rolling forward.

He does have a game that resembles Sexton around the field so I’m sure they love him in Ireland.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Tevita Alatini and Clem Halaholo called into squad as injury cover. Legg and de Lutiis are injured.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1688290948581.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is Marley Pearce still suspended? Although he has been playing LHP, he does that at Super Rugby level, and also played hooker for the Force U19s last year. I have no doubt he would make a better fist of THP than Bloomfield based on last week's game.

England to win in a canter. That will likely be the speed of our scrum going backwards.