• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
There is definitely an argument that injuries and luck played a role, but even then it sounds like Grey might bear some responsibility for not having Lynagh there, a player who could've made a world of difference in the conditions in some of those games.

Lynagh was named and ruled out due to injury?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Lynagh was named and ruled out due to injury?
Apparently he was run hard in training the week after the Quarter Final against the Chiefs and that's when he was injured. Can't imagine why they thought it would've been a smart idea so close to the tournament, it's not like he was in anyway lacking for match fitness.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That's why if we can beat Wales and get 5th I consider it a pass mark.

We lose and I don't. We made hard work of Fiji, beaten by Ireland and a Draw with England. All about framing the conversation I guess.

Wins v NZ always make us feel better.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Would have been interesting to see what Jorgenson would have brought to the team. Different Fullback to Gordon and if De Luttis was fit for the English match who knows. He and Barrett are great prospects.
Look at super rugby alone, Jorgensen has been one of the best Tahs players this season. If he played at full-back for the u20s, it would have been the difference in the match against England.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think if the boys can knock Wales off then the 2023 programme for the 20's will have been a success. They appear to be a good group and there is talent in there. That, combined with the class of 2019 makes me feel hopeful about the future at the elite level.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
While we are debating if 5th or 6th is an acceptable outcome, meanwhile across the ditch we have a country sweating on if their 20s will fall to Georgia

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
While we are debating if 5th or 6th is an acceptable outcome, meanwhile across the ditch we have a country sweating on if their 20s will fall to Georgia

We need to remember they played almost the whole game against us with 14 men.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Like most of these tournaments, the final standings are not a true reflection of the rankings of teams due to the structure of the comp. For instance, in 2014 we were the second best side but probably like this year came 5th.

I think we’re the 3rd best side after France and Ireland. Maybe on par with England but I think our full strength side is better. We were capable of beating Ireland until injuries, weather and refereeing cost us.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Like most of these tournaments, the final standings are not a true reflection of the rankings of teams due to the structure of the comp. For instance, in 2014 we were the second best side but probably like this year came 5th.

I think we’re the 3rd best side after France and Ireland. Maybe on par with England but I think our full strength side is better. We were capable of beating Ireland until injuries, weather and refereeing cost us.
How strong were the Boks this year? Would we have beaten them?