• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia, Sunday 21st 4.30 am ADST.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
O'Connor is looking better so far which is a relief.

The Kellaway try was class.
Don't think JOC (James O'Connor) really played significantly better than the past couple of weeks. Kellaway's try came from a grubber from Paisami. It looked to me that JOC (James O'Connor) was still playing deep while Paisami offered another first receiver option by playing shallow. The ball went to Paisami when most of the backline attack took place while JOC (James O'Connor) had the kicking duties from deeper. Anyway, that's how it looked to me, and it mostly worked.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
World rugby is clear in how they referee the high tackle - super rugby au was far more lenient than the rest of the world is and it will hurt us if we don’t change. Nothing can be high anymore - it’s just too risky
It was a genuine accidental head clash in my view. Valetini used both arms in the tackle and both were well and truly below the shoulder. No 8 on Lock, a head clash certainly indicates that the Lock was running in a bent position or was lowering his body as the tackle was made. Absolutely terrible decision with game changing ramifications.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was a genuine accidental head clash in my view. Valetini used both arms in the tackle and both were well and truly below the shoulder. No 8 on Lock, a head clash certainly indicates that the Lock was running in a bent position or was lowering his body as the tackle was made. Absolutely terrible decision with game changing ramifications.

Surely a RC in any game and with any ref. Rennie had a moan about the decisions but made a point of accepting that one. I think he's right.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Isn’t it a penalty for just knocking it down?
If this refers to Beale's knockdown, then the blame (cause if you like) has to be put at JOC (James O'Connor)'s feet. Too slow to make what should have been a simple side-on tackle so that Beale then had two players running at him. JOC (James O'Connor) makes the tackle, Beale isn't even involved in the play.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
How many high tackle cards have we conceded? I think that's something we really need to address.
We historically have had a lot a league coaches in Australia coach defence in rugby teams. The standard of what is a high tackle has definitely changed in Union when compared to league. Might be time to give the league coaches coming to Union to coach defence a miss. It’s time has passed given very different standards now.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He has been doing that since he came into the side. He’s good in traffic and he needs to back himself more. A couple of our other forwards do the same. Swinton was pretty impressive when he came on. I thought Daugunu was also good
It has to be intentional, and part of the game plan. Allows quick ball for White (and Tate) a little further away from the sideline so that they can get a more effective clearing/box kick in. I am also nervous that it will bring a penalty against us at a crucial time in a crucial match at some time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well that was my whole point really.

If you look at it from a pure technical point of view- it probably did not go towards the opposition try-line and remember this is union not rugby league.

But when you’re refereeing one of the biggest test matches of the year and already made some controversial decisions- you surely do your best to find a knock on in that play.
The thing iks, that had he called it a knock on immediately, there would have been no dispute from any of the players on both sides, including quite clearly the try scorer who thought he had knocked on.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If this refers to Beale's knockdown, then the blame (cause if you like) has to be put at JOC (James O'Connor)'s feet. Too slow to make what should have been a simple side-on tackle so that Beale then had two players running at him. JOC (James O'Connor) makes the tackle, Beale isn't even involved in the play.
You’re right, but he’s talking about the Welsh knockdown that instead of a penalty against they got a try for.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
It has to be intentional, and part of the game plan. Allows quick ball for White (and Tate) a little further away from the sideline so that they can get a more effective clearing/box kick in. I am also nervous that it will bring a penalty against us at a crucial time in a crucial match at some time.
Based on my limited knowledge of the rules I don’t think that going to ground by yourself is against the rules of Union. The offside rule created after the England Italy game a few years back also helps as does the requirement that a ball be on the ground for a ruck to commence it doesn’t require a tackle to first take place. A yield tackle is illegal in league but I don’t think it’s currently illegal in Union.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
It seems odd to me that a defender can make contact with head, contact considered so egregious that he is sent from the field for the rest of the match, yet the ball carrier need not leave the field for an extensive HIA. Is it dangerous or not?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
My bitch was the decision against Kellaway. In being penalised for being beyond the ball when interfered in the air by the Welsh winger which resulted in Kellaway being injured and replaced.
I wondered about that too, it looked like either a non event or a sanction to us, but the 3rd alternative seemed only a remote possibility. I went and made a coffee during the injury break and was stunned when I came back in to find they had got the penalty. I actually rewound to check something else hadn’t happened after the resumption of play. It was not the only decision I was stunned with though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wondered about that too, it looked like either a non event or a sanction to us, but the 3rd alternative seemed only a remote possibility. I went and made a coffee during the injury break and was stunned when I came back in to find they had got the penalty. I actually rewound to check something else hadn’t happened after the resumption of play. It was not the only decision I was stunned with though.

He was beyond the ball for Christs sake! Clearly. The tackler was completely eyes on the ball.

Kellaway was injured which is shit, but the ref call is not hard to follow.

we don’t have to look hard to find a fight worth picking from that game. Not this but.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He was beyond the ball for Christs sake! Clearly. The tackler was completely eyes on the ball.

Kellaway was injured which is shit, but the ref call is not hard to follow.

we don’t have to look hard to find a fight worth picking from that game. Not this but.
I just went and had a look at it again. I realised then that I what I was stunned about was that it warranted reversing our penalty advantage. They were both going for the ball. Again, not the only decision I was stunned about.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I just went and had a look at it again. I realised then that I what I was stunned about was that it warranted reversing our penalty advantage. They were both going for the ball. Again, not the only decision I was stunned about.

That I Get.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think regarding high tackles it’s important to understand where WR (World Rugby) are coming from: whilst we may think current interpretation is “ruining the game”, it is nothing compared to what a lawsuit by 100s of players with early onset dementia will do the game. WR (World Rugby) need to try and reduce big head knocks, or be seen to, so they are covering themselves. (Though obviously as experts say the accumulation of lots of small head knocks is probably what does it, and the solution is what Harlequins do and have basically no heavy contact at training)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
They need to look at the red card sanction again. The 20 minute send off then having a replacement enter the game makes so much more sense from a spectator sport point of view. In most sports where you get red carded you are simply out of the game but a replacement comes on immediately.
In most cases this keeps the game competitive. In the case of the game on Saturday we being a player down from 15 minutes in kept the game competitive. I dare say if Valentini had remained on we would have coasted to a decent win.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think regarding high tackles it’s important to understand where WR (World Rugby) are coming from: whilst we may think current interpretation is “ruining the game”, it is nothing compared to what a lawsuit by 100s of players with early onset dementia will do the game. WR (World Rugby) need to try and reduce big head knocks, or be seen to, so they are covering themselves. (Though obviously as experts say the accumulation of lots of small head knocks is probably what does it, and the solution is what Harlequins do and have basically no heavy contact at training)
Absolutely. Which makes the non red call for the swinging arm all the more ludicrous.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
They need to look at the red card sanction again. The 20 minute send off then having a replacement enter the game makes so much more sense from a spectator sport point of view. In most sports where you get red carded you are simply out of the game but a replacement comes on immediately.
In most cases this keeps the game competitive. In the case of the game on Saturday we being a player down from 15 minutes in kept the game competitive. I dare say if Valentini had remained on we would have coasted to a decent win.
I said on another page here that I’d like to see the 20 minute red for that situation and a full red (no replacement) for absolute no-no’s; gouging, biting, aggression towards official, etc.