• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The only player to have come close to Kepu and Alexander in Australia at THP moved to England.

Smith is a LHP, who either way Alexander got the better of, PAE can't even get in front of Weeks, and Faulkner was behind Longbottom and Cowen all year. Give me a break, dont you think if we had better THP we would pick them. Alexander did Australia a service switching sides, because of the rest of the rubbish around. His had an neck injury, he isn't playing well but no one's really screaming out to be his replacement. And if his not being used at THP , I bet his better then most the rest at LHP.

Mate I'd be willing to put money down that he'll be a bench player by the end of next season at the Brumbies. The new crop of props coming through execute at the set piece far better.

Injury hasn't helped, but his game has been totally ineffective since the new scrum laws came in. He's too tall to play TH and as a result buckles on most hits.

And on top of that he doesn't have the work rate around the field he was once known for.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Part of me would like to see Luke Jones and Will Skelton as the bench 19/20. Will adds a lot and Luke counter balances what you lose by having Will on the field.

The other part thinks that our entire back 5 can play a full 80 minutes. If Skelton comes on for McMahon, Carter could move to 6 and we still have 3 jumpers. Hodgson adds something a bit different. Extra leadership in the final minutes and skill at the breakdown that could be a tipping point. I guess it depends on what the score looks like at the 70 minute mark.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It wouldn't surprise me if we have a scrum crisis next year during the RWC that Longbottom is picked despite playing overseas. His knowledge of the English front row will also come in handy.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Mate I'd be willing to put money down that he'll be a bench player by the end of next season at the Brumbies. The new crop of props coming through execute at the set piece far better.

Injury hasn't helped, but his game has been totally ineffective since the new scrum laws came in. He's too tall to play TH and as a result buckles on most hits.

And on top of that he doesn't have the work rate around the field he was once known for.

Pardon me, till he was ruled out of the franch test he was in front of Kepu...

Last 2 years saw Alexander LHP.. palmer THP.. Then Alexander gave Sio his chance.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Obviously Cheika doesn't think Jones is the right fit at the moment. His debut against the French was a little underwhelming.
We have Fardy and Higgers out and he is still not in the picture for a bench spot.
Maybe he is carrying a niggle?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
How does he ease back in when there are only test matches to come?.
Fair response, I worded it badly and did nearly change it. The more apt way to say what I was thinking is 'if he hasn't fully recovered the worst thing to do would be to throw him in it'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Alexander is 5cm shorter than Carl Hayman: height per se is not the issue

Carl Hayman was a force under the old engagement laws where actual scrummaging technique wasn't as important. Height is much more important now and shorter powerful props have a natural advantage in set up position and pushing angle. There was a reason that props before the power hit were mostly under 6 foot tall.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Crikey @Qwerty51, there was a major overhaul of how we played between the Pumas test and the Bled 3 in Brisbane. This was continued into the Barbars game.

There is a fair bit of stability in the starting 15 and the bench.

Wales are rusty and vulnerable. The Men in Gold are good.

HJ, I'm not in possession of the stats, so you might be able to help me. We seem to have played many tests against these blokes over the last few years. From memory, they haven't won too many! My question is: What are the win/loss numbers for us in, say, the last 8 tests?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Apparently because To'omua isn't there the welsh centres are going to be busting through the midfield all night

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Part of me would like to see Luke Jones and Will Skelton as the bench 19/20. Will adds a lot and Luke counter balances what you lose by having Will on the field.

The other part thinks that our entire back 5 can play a full 80 minutes. If Skelton comes on for McMahon, Carter could move to 6 and we still have 3 jumpers. Hodgson adds something a bit different. Extra leadership in the final minutes and skill at the breakdown that could be a tipping point. I guess it depends on what the score looks like at the 70 minute mark.

May I remind you that Hodgson came on in the later stages against the ABs, when we were in front on the scoreboard, and how did that turn out? If he is on the bench, he should only be used as injury cover for Hooper. Two 7s at the end usually won't work, and the problems could be exacerbated this game with a light 6 in McMahon playing as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
HJ, I'm not in possession of the stats, so you might be able to help me. We seem to have played many tests against these blokes over the last few years. From memory, they haven't won too many! My question is: What are the win/loss numbers for us in, say, the last 8 tests?
I believe we're going for 10 wins in a row against Wales.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Welsh play All Black light, they provide nothing we aren't used to.

Big centres? shit we never see them in the SH.
Big fast wingers? ditto

A running athletic backrow led by an Islander, that is the type of shit we never see in the SH

A hard working tight five, god helps us, that is so new.

meh

We should win this if we are on our game, simples really

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I believe we're going for 10 wins in a row against Wales.

Thanks BH, that pretty well tells who has been the dominant team!
As an aside, we are heading south in Northern NSW, and it was great to walk into the bar of the Tenterfield Tavern last night and see, on the big screen, an Aust v Ireland replay!

Status
Not open for further replies.