• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...eluctant-to-force-change-20181112-p50fkv.html

General gist seems to be back Cheika to RWC maybe consider the assistants.

The risappointing thing is that it’s because realisation of Cheikas ability is 12 months too late. If that’s correct shouldn’t the RA team be held to account?

By whom?

What would be achieved?

If we look back over the last twenty years we have not exactly had a shining array of wonderfully successful national coaches.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well much like Pat Howard’s High performance role at Cricket Australia has been called into question due to some low performances, surely Ben Whittaker’s position is untenable.

as for Cheika’s assistants, RA does need to take responsibility. He presented to them after the Rugby Champs and all indications from Castle were that the assistant’s jobs were at risk. Chek was able to convince them to back them. I think we all know they didn’t deserve it and change was needed. Not even with hindsight did we know that.

These last two results are as much to do with that decision as anything and I geneuinley think we’re a chance of losing this weekend.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Reg,

Castle has virtually no background in our game. If we assume that she was the most qualified candidate, which is not a big assumption considering the challenges of the job, there was always going to be a problem of this nature. A judgement call, for which she does not have the experience.

Not to mention that she does not have the contacts in the game that most of us have built up over the years, at whatever level we have played or worked.

So based on her lack of experience, and her lack of knowhow and contacts, had she decided to get rid of Chubby, what would have been her next step?

Resignation? Put an ad in the Sydney Morning Herald for a new national coach?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg,

Castle has virtually no background in our game. If we assume that she was the most qualified candidate, which is not a big assumption considering the challenges of the job, there was always going to be a problem of this nature. A judgement call, for which she does not have the experience.

Not to mention that she does not have the contacts in the game that most of us have built up over the years, at whatever level we have played or worked.

So based on her lack of experience, and her lack of knowhow and contacts, had she decided to get rid of Chubby, what would have been her next step?

Resignation? Put an ad in the Sydney Morning Herald for a new national coach?

Castle wouldn't have made the decision herself. She doesn't have that authority for that position. I'd have expected her to rely on her board and snr management.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The ship was sinking well before Castle jumped on the boat.

Well much like Pat Howard’s High performance role at Cricket Australia has been called into question due to some low performances, surely Ben Whittaker’s position is untenable.

as for Cheika’s assistants, RA does need to take responsibility. He presented to them after the Rugby Champs and all indications from Castle were that the assistant’s jobs were at risk. Chek was able to convince them to back them. I think we all know they didn’t deserve it and change was needed. Not even with hindsight did we know that.

These last two results are as much to do with that decision as anything and I geneuinley think we’re a chance of losing this weekend.

Agree with this 100%.

My fear would be that Howard would be a prime candidate to take over if he went :(

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Castle wouldn't have made the decision herself. She doesn't have that authority for that position. I'd have expected her to rely on her board and snr management.

She is the CEO. If the buck for executive decisions does not stop with her, she should get out of the job. She is in a lose-lose situation otherwise. (Mind you, from where I sit, her position is pretty much untenable anyway).

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be in that job. Talk about Mission Impossible.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
nup, he's leaving next week.

I reckon he'll be keen to stay based in Brisbane and quite possibly away from sports regardless.

You're right, they accelerated it after the CA culture review. I'm not sure how much value is ever added in wishy-washy "high performance" roles. Certainly, Kafer hasn't added much in his director of coaching role or whatever it is he has.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
You're right, they accelerated it after the CA culture review. I'm not sure how much value is ever added in wishy-washy "high performance" roles. Certainly, Kafer hasn't added much in his director of coaching role or whatever it is he has.

UTG how do you know? Is it because the Wallabies haven't all of a sudden won a heap of matches? What are you making that call on?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
She is the CEO. If the buck for executive decisions does not stop with her, she should get out of the job. She is in a lose-lose situation otherwise. (Mind you, from where I sit, her position is pretty much untenable anyway).

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be in that job. Talk about Mission Impossible.

Untenable. She has been in the job for 10mths. Can't expect her to change the world in that period of time. People keep talking about boning cheika but for whom?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Unless he's somehow breached his contract, firing a key position like the head coach is not a decision for the CEO. That's a board level call

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
UTG how do you know? Is it because the Wallabies haven't all of a sudden won a heap of matches? What are you making that call on?

Making the call on the fact that, imho, the tactics we've used since the first June test have regressed at a rate of knots.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
What are his credentials as a coach/ coachs' coach? Seriously what has he achieved in coaching to allow him to be in such an esteemed position? Or is he another former player/ analyst sucking from the teet because he falls into the don't rock the boat of small minded management and board category?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
What are his credentials as a coach/ coachs' coach? Seriously what has he achieved in coaching to allow him to be in such an esteemed position? Or is he another former player/ analyst sucking from the teet because he falls into the don't rock the boat of small minded management and board category?

Why does he have to be a successful coach to hold the role?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Kafer isn't responsible for tactics

Yes but that's my point, he's meant to be the head of a coaching advisory panel that creates unity about the Australian way of playing rugby (whatever that means) but what impact has his role actually had on the way the Australian team plays?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Kafer sounds like a facilitator, your blame should be directed at Whittaker (well that's how I read this article)

The task of bringing some order to how Australian rugby is coached, from grassroots through to the Wallabies, took a step forward yesterday when former and present Wallabies coaches held their long-awaited summit meeting in Sydney.

Past Wallabies coaches Bob Dwyer, coach of the first Australian team to win the World Cup, and John Connolly, the man with the second-highest success rate with the Wallabies, met with current coach Michael Cheika, national skills coach Mick Byrne, Rugby Australia’s high performance boss Ben Whitaker and national coach panel co-ordinator Rod Kafer to help identify the rising coaches in the country and how to develop them.

Grand Slam-winning coach Alan Jones and 1999 World Cup winner Rod Macqueen were invited but were unable to attend.

Kafer said: “We were really looking at the overarching approach to coaching, right from junior coaches right up to our most senior coaches.

“We’re talking about developing a group that will develop a national coaching strategy and enhance the core role that coaching plays in inspiring and developing all involved in the game.”

As a mission statement, that’s a fair start but for the national coaching panel to be as effective as its counterpart in New Zealand, it needs to play at least an advisory role in picking the next Wallabies coach.

The Rugby Australia board will make that call and will base its decision on a range of factors but the rugby component of it remains paramount. If the centralised NZ system is to serve as a model, the group also could help determine who coaches at Super Rugby level.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...t/news-story/5f82c1e1a446cd2f836afb47f7d04a1a

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Unless he's somehow breached his contract, firing a key position like the head coach is not a decision for the CEO. That's a board level call

Would it have been thus when JON was CEO? I doubt it.

The organisation chart must show the head coach reporting to the CEO. Nothing else would make sense, in organisational terms.

No decent operator would accept a job as CEO for an organisation whose board is going to make a crucial decision like this.

If you are right, we might as well give up.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I cant take anyone seriously who puts Jake White on their potential replacement coaching list.

RA want to have an Australian coach but unfortunately there isn't a candidate close. If they were going to go with an overseas coach I'd be looking at the following list Vern Cotter, Scott Robinson, Joe Schmidt, Dave Rennie, Chris Boyd, Mark McCall, Rob Baxter and Johan Ackermann.

Status
Not open for further replies.