• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Kafer sounds like a facilitator, your blame should be directed at Whittaker (well that's how I read this article)

It's not so much blame as much as a general skepticism of the value added by "high performance" or "coaching facilitators." That said, the article you posted seems to show they have some sort of concrete aims.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Would it have been thus when JON was CEO? I doubt it.

The organisation chart must show the head coach reporting to the CEO. Nothing else would make sense, in organisational terms.

No decent operator would accept a job as CEO for an organisation whose board is going to make a crucial decision like this.

If you are right, we might as well give up.
JON didn't ever sack a Wallaby head coach did he?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Reading the article on previous page I take Kafer a being responsible for coaching pathways/strategy for School, Premier grade , NRC, Super Rugby (including assistants etc). I definitely don't see him telling Cheika to try a cut 2 wrap. Thats just my take on it.
I would hope he is telling all NRC/Super coaches every team we have has a problem with X part of the game

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Kafer’s responsibilities, along with Pocock’s playing contract, is one of the most misunderstood subjects amongst Australian rugby fans..........

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Kafer’s responsibilities, along with Pocock’s playing contract, is one of the most misunderstood subjects amongst Australian rugby fans....

RA Annual Report 2017 notes the following

"High Performance & Development. In 2017, a great deal of work was done to improve high performance and development outcomes. A High Performance Panel was established consisting of Chair, Brett Robinson, representatives from the Super Rugby clubs, representatives from the Australian Sevens program, the Head of Australian Women's Rugby and a representative from RUPA. Former Wallabies playmaker Rod Kafer was also appointed to a project role to lead Australia's elite coach development program by coordinating the newly-constructed National Coaching Advisory Panel. In late 2017, a High Performance implementation plan was finalised following a workshop were Super Rugby CEOs, Chairs, board members and high performance staff agreed to collaborate more across all professional rugby teams."

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
RA press release

Let’s hope this 11th hour rubbish of the national coach pushing around a super team won’t happen again. A longer term schedule is far more professional solution. I couldn’t see Cheika doing the same to the Waratahs... it was total BS... please M

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/..._sportsmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=crm

Article extract:

In the lead-up to the Wallabies’ three Test series against Ireland in June, Michael Cheika asked Brumbies coach Dan McKellar to rest David Pocock, Scott Sio and Allan Ala'alatoa on the eve of their must win clash against the Sunwolves in Canberra.

But, facing the prospect of missing the finals for the first time since 2012, and with the Brumbies battling poor crowds, McKellar rejected Cheika’s plea.

The difficult situation put the spotlight on the importance of better communication between the Test team and Super Rugby.

Whitaker said that good had come from it.

“Every time you’re involved a situation like that, things like communication, your strategy, your plans, your systems all come under scrutiny and often that’s the best thing that can happen because you learn from that and you know what needs to be done so it’s far more effective,” Whitaker said.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If their finals push was on the line, I wouldn't ask the Rebels to drop Genia, Hodge, and DHP, nor would I ask the Tahs to drop Foley, Beale, and Folau, nor the Reds Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and Kerevi.

If they were asked, I'd hope they turn around and say "I'm not throwing away our season".

Don't get me wrong, there should be communication between the Wallabies and the Super teams, but it should be along the lines of "I intend to use this player in all fifteen tests this year, so it might be good for their wellbeing to rest them here and there as able". The communications shouldn't be in the form of making a phonecall a few days before the game and saying "Yo, don't use your key forwards, I don't want you to".

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
If their finals push was on the line, I wouldn't ask the Rebels to drop Genia, Hodge, and DHP, nor would I ask the Tahs to drop Foley, Beale, and Folau, nor the Reds Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and Kerevi.

If they were asked, I'd hope they turn around and say "I'm not throwing away our season".

Don't get me wrong, there should be communication between the Wallabies and the Super teams, but it should be along the lines of "I intend to use this player in all fifteen tests this year, so it might be good for their wellbeing to rest them here and there as able". The communications shouldn't be in the form of making a phonecall a few days before the game and saying "Yo, don't use your key forwards, I don't want you to".

Certainly a good key indicator to Cheika management and communications... this was just plain troublemaking with the Brumbies club to improve the Waratahs chances as no other team was asked to do the same...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ahhh. Clear as day now. The Brumbies have fucked the Wallabies by not resting their best performing players. Funny thing is that Pocock, Sio and Ala'alatoa have consistently been among the best of the Wallabies since, so I wonder just how much rest they needed in comparison to many of the other Wallabies who have been sadly out of form all year?

Assuming the very worst scenario where Cheika survives as HC next year, then he (and RA) probably need to set some ground rules that are equitable across all four Aussie Super Rugby sides and not just aimed at one of them. First requirement should be that players should be rested on a rotational basis so that no one team is faced with losing up to three or more of their best players from the one game. If Cheika couldn't see the implications of his request, then he is even more hopeless as a manager than I had come to believe.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cheika wouldn’t have the balls to the same to this NSW Waratahs and front his mates... It was complete BS pushing a first year coach around in the media... this is the same guy who chooses a college boy captain as he knows he won’t stand and question him...

Status
Not open for further replies.