• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
So whats your excuse for McKenzie?

Stephen Moore was injured V/C Hopper and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) McKenzie let Hopper step in as Captain to replace Moore.

Waratahs Dave Dennis injury took him out for the season v/c were Hopper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau...

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Can the Wallabies perform at the WC with a centre pairing of Kerevi and Kurindrani and Foley or To'omua at 10 or do they need a playmaker more like Quade at 10 with double K in the centres?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can the Wallabies perform at the WC with a centre pairing of Kerevi and Kurindrani and Foley or To'omua at 10 or do they need a playmaker more like Quade at 10 with double K in the centres?

Or the most promising 10 - 12 we ever played with. Quade - To'omua.

Quade needs to prove himself. Let's go from there .

(And I dont actually think that Cheika is agin it, just needs a few runs on the board.)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Or the most promising 10 - 12 we ever played with. Quade - To'omua.

Quade needs to prove himself. Let's go from there .

(And I dont actually think that Cheika is agin it, just needs a few runs on the board.)

Yep take your point about Quade needing to show he is capable, I should clarify I wasn't really suggesting we parachute Quade into the side so much as does a centre pairing of Kerevi/Kurindrani work with Foley/To'omua at 10 or do you need creativity someone who can throw a cut like Cooper?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
People wrote off the Kerevi-Kuridrani centre partnership after the England series, but Cheika was still willing to try in on the 2017 EOYT. I think it's a good one for us to have up our sleeve, but it just isn't worth dropping Beale, Folau, or DHP to try it as our main strategy.

I don't think we have a cattle problem (i.e. it's not that our players lack the capability), though we have serious skills and fitness issues. However, the old mantra applies: if you can't change the players, change the players.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given the opportunity to pick a team to play Wales on recent form, playing style, etc. I’m going

1 Ala'alatoa (Sio has a perception problem with refs up north, plus AAT is offering a lot more around the park atm)
2 Uelese (the rest have been tried, tested and generally been terrible. TPN looks past it, so Uelese is the best scrummager and carrier of the remaining. Not as skillful as Fainga'a or good over the ball at Latu, but preference to the scrum here)
3 Tupou (unleash the beast)
4 Arnold (give the man a go, Coleman solid but Arnold the past 12months has been better)
5 Rodda (now our best lock, great defensive lineout, after 15 games already a better player than Simmons)
6 Naisarani (get some ball carrying options, lineout option)
7 Pocock (the worlds best 7)
8 McMahon (get the man back, gets over the ball, blasts players aside in attack and a solid lineout option)
9 Genia (should be on field captain, clearly best 9)
10 Cooper (we need to play flatter, his kicking game is better than the other options, goal kicks)
11 Koroibete (today showed we need a power winger, he’s the best power winger we have, just don’t make him play the merry go round in defense and he will be alright, also offers brilliant kick chase. Would suit Quades gainline attack over the out the back style currently deployed)
12 Kerevi (someone that can get over the gain line)
13 To'omua (honestly the more I think it the more I like it, he’s a great tackler, can offer secondary play making and big enough if needed)
14 Banks (speed and a kicking game, the perfect balance to Koroibete)
15 Folau (eliminates high ball game from opposing teams. Quades cross field kicking game clearly a better fit for him)

16 Latu (impact)
17 Sio (quality off bench)
18 Kepu (quality off bench)
19 Hooper (massive impact and work rate against tired players)
20 Tui (would of gone Coleman but Tui offers versatility)
21 Gordon (great fit for a 20min cameo with his support game)
22 Hodge (versatility and option for long range kicks)
23 Beale (back to his 20min cameo role that he was so good at)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We had a power winger in Taqele. Obviously it was unlucky he only peaked post signing up north but we could have done more to keep him. Yeah he might be slow to turn around and all that but he’s a match winner and anyhow the Tahs showed how to use him in defence, let him shoot up and he’ll bag intercept after intercept with his big mits.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ala'alatoa plays TH, and has probably been our best performing one this year...
AAT has been okay, but let’s not forget he got dished up a few times against Wales and ABs to note. Agreed he’s been one of our better performers in general, but that isn’t saying much, overall been solid but far from what anyone would call an international standout. Think you might have your provincial goggles on. The only time all year our scrum has dominated has been when Tupou came on against Ireland but I understand the AAT is one of the better scrummagers in Aus, he’s more a player that will stabilize the scrum than dominate one, giving you parity. Hence I think LH could be a better fit for him, a position you and I and most people on this site understand that he has played numerous times in his career.

Tupou pushing through with his power on the TH side against the opposition LH, with AAT negating the opposing THs power sounds a good fit to me

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure Lukhan and Rodda wouldn’t be our most powerful locking combination although I would have liked to have seen Arnold get more game time this year.

Clavis Ruo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not very inspiring bunch, I must say. Can Cheika take them up the 2-3 notches required to be competitive? On current form they'll finish behind Wales and have to meet England again in the q-finals.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
AAT has been okay, but let’s not forget he got dished up a few times against Wales and ABs to note. Agreed he’s been one of our better performers in general, but that isn’t saying much, overall been solid but far from what anyone would call an international standout. Think you might have your provincial goggles on. The only time all year our scrum has dominated has been when Tupou came on against Ireland but I understand the AAT is one of the better scrummagers in Aus, he’s more a player that will stabilize the scrum than dominate one, giving you parity. Hence I think LH could be a better fit for him, a position you and I and most people on this site understand that he has played numerous times in his career.

Tupou pushing through with his power on the TH side against the opposition LH, with AAT negating the opposing THs power sounds a good fit to me

At no time during the EOYT did Kepu show better form at THP than Ala'alatoa. Selecting on form, then Kepu in the LH side and AAT on the TH side.

Interested too to see how you rate Uelese, McMahon, Tui, Banks, Hodge and Beale on recent form? Uelese hasn't played, for what, 6 months? McMahon has been playing where? Tui, Hodge and Banks haven't played since the Super season finished and Beale has been so seriously out of form on tour that it is time he was retired from the Wallabies altogether.

Otherwise a lot of the selections are on the right track.

I probably should question Naisarani though, because he again hasn't played since the Super season ended so no recent form to judge him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
At no time during the EOYT did Kepu show better form at THP than Ala'alatoa. Selecting on form, then Kepu in the LH side and AAT on the TH side.

Interested too to see how you rate Uelese, McMahon, Tui, Banks, Hodge and Beale on recent form? Uelese hasn't played, for what, 6 months? McMahon has been playing where? Tui, Hodge and Banks haven't played since the Super season finished and Beale has been so seriously out of form on tour that it is time he was retired from the Wallabies altogether.

Otherwise a lot of the selections are on the right track.

I probably should question Naisarani though, because he again hasn't played since the Super season ended so no recent form to judge him.

I guess going on that notion the only players we have seen are the ones on tour, so it would result in a merry go round of the same players.

Beale if given the right structures and players around him is world class, we have all seen it before. He is one of the most talented players in Australia. Off the bench he is very versatile as well. Between hodge and him you cover every position in the back line.
McMahon and Banks i can only go on the form they displayed last time they played at either club or international level, which was both very good. McMahon was arguably our best player in the games he played last year and Banks was the best back 3 player in Super Rugby by seasons end.
Tui and Hodge are the most versatile players in either the forwards or backs, crucial for bench players. It just add some versatility to a team if players get injured etc. plus they both off great potential impact. Tui with his physicality and Hodge with his long range kicking.
Naisarani, McMahon and Pocock back 3 is the most balanced we could offer. 2 players that can get over the ball, 2 players that are line out options, 2 players that offer go forward, 2 players that can be play the link man and all 3 are very mobile around the park.
Uelese is probably the most out there pick, but his scrummaging would help a pack that is getting beaten up and bashed every 2nd week. Like the others isn't the greatest at throwing, but is a very good carrier of the ball. Lacks Latu's ability to get over the ball and Fainga'a's skill level but i simply preferenced the scrum here.

Status
Not open for further replies.