• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would guess the chip kick was planned to attempt to plant the the feet of the rush defence

Too many of the short kicks, whether in the air or along the ground, are straight into the oncoming rush defence so that the ball often ends up behind our attacking line and the only players with the forward momentum to gather the loose ball are the opposition who are already going forward.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
The problem with making a raft of positional and personnel changes is that the wallabies are probably even more at risk of defeat, and the players moved or freshly selected will carry the can.

For example - Samoa 2011, Scotland... well, in 2012, I had erased 2017 from memory and 2018 will go the same way.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
For the sake of keeping his job he needs to finally make some big calls.

The Pooper has to go. I think this only works against certain opposition and if they are not prepared for it, you can't do it every week. The problem is that his captain is the one he needs to drop and I don't see him having the b@lls to do it.

I think they should have persisted with Caleb Timu longer but Valentini will do until Nasirani is ready.

Beale needs to go.

Everybody knows Foley is not going to win us a world cup but there is nobody better.

To'omua to swap with Beale and Petaia off the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The problem with making a raft of positional and personnel changes is that the wallabies are probably even more at risk of defeat, and the players moved or freshly selected will carry the can.

For example - Samoa 2011, Scotland. well, in 2012, I had erased 2017 from memory and 2018 will go the same way.

The fallacy with our current coaching panel is that we then bring back the cohort of players who have been tried innumerable times and failed in the majority of cases. The smart move would be to make the changes and keep them until they have the experience needed to succeed at this level.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Too many of the short kicks, whether in the air or along the ground, are straight into the oncoming rush defence so that the ball often ends up behind our attacking line and the only players with the forward momentum to gather the loose ball are the opposition who are already going forward.

The plan was sensible, the logic is there, the execution was below average

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect a very simple game plan this week with a lot that they have been working on to be abandoned.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
The plan was sensible, the logic is there, the execution was below average

Yep NRL players do short kicks left, right and centre weekly and rarely get charged down. Like everything else it is a lack of practice and poor execution by the wallabies

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep NRL players do short kicks left, right and centre weekly and rarely get charged down. Like everything else it is a lack of practice and poor execution by the wallabies
Its a little different, there is 10m between the players to start with, + what ever distance they pass back to him and guaranteed front foot ball. The energy levels in having to get back the 10m then quickly off the line means there is significantly less pressure on the kicker and the kicker is protected from players diving at the feet to block a ball.

Steve Price was the greatest exponent in the NRL at blocking kicks but it came at the expense of several players badly injured in doing so

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Its a little different, there is 10m between the players to start with, + what ever distance they pass back to him and guaranteed front foot ball. The energy levels in having to get back the 10m then quickly off the line means there is significantly less pressure on the kicker and the kicker is protected from players diving at the feet to block a ball.

Steve Price was the greatest exponent in the NRL at blocking kicks but it came at the expense of several players badly injured in doing so

Even if that is 100% true, which I don’t particularly agree with; these are National level players and I’d like to think they have better reaction times and execution than your average NRL half.

New Zealand have a great short kicking game, I think it’s actually under-utilised by them. If Ma’a Nonu can learn to do it then so can our backs

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
JP is potentially a lot better than Rona, I reckon. But I agree we should hasten slowly.

I agree about Kerevi, I would like to see To'omua at 10 and Kerevi at 12.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Ray Price? Or am I going back too far?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
McMahon was a first team player when he left. He turned his back on the Wallabies for cash because he knew his body wouldn't hold up. Hate this narrative that it was somehow Cheika's fault. If you are going to bash the bloke at least correctly identify why he is failing.

He is a successful coach at both provincial and test levels. His style of management is just not suited to long term stability. He is a man motivator. He has very little affinity for strategic or tactical thinking. When he took over, he had a fairly highly skilled, knowledgeable rugby team that was massively under-performing. He took them, identified a few shortcomings, patched them with European based players and gave them a kick up the arse all the way to the RWC final (see Waratahs and Potgeiter, etc).

Post RWC his job was to rebuild a team with a lot of aging talent gone or going. And whilst he has blooded a very large number of new players he has largely failed, because his skills are no longer suitable to his role. His newly apparent shortcomings could have been compensated for byassistant coaches, and perhaps a selection panel. The only useful assistant we had left to become a head coach of a rival team. Larkham and Grey, despite clearly demonstrating their inability at lower levels, still got hired for the job largely because they are Australian. Our very own affirmative action program. So now the issue is not purely on Cheika but also a systemic one. The wrong people hired for the wrong job across the board.

Now, if Australian rugby wasn't on it's knees and we were still churning out naturally talented players, the provinces were performing and people were watching and playing then we would probably still be seeing some half decent results. But we are reaping what was sewn decades ago.

So you can bitch and moan about this selection or that but the issues are fundamental both with Cheika and Australian Rugby.

Edit: If i had to plan succession i would get in Deans or White on a one year contract, with whatever assistants they wanted. Post RWC i would hire someone like Lancaster.

Maybe its a bit harsh with McMahon, who I am sure could be convinced to return but there is not a place for him with both Hooper and Pocock(and now Samu) there. Fardy was told he was surplus and is now playing his best rugby.

We have never churned out naturally talented players but there always was, and still is, enough of them to put together a very good test squad.
Jake White could probably get them moving in the right direction for Japan next year and I'm sure he would have some differences of opinion in key areas.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
What would a jake white inspired line up look like? Would there be any changes at all?

I think he would bring Fardy back at the very least, possibly even try and get mowen back somehow - I don’t know if I’m right but I seem to remember him not worrying if players played domestically or overseas

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We are ranked - - - oh who cares. But I doubt the “must play locally” policy would fall with a lot of real regret.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What would a jake white inspired line up look like? Would there be any changes at all?

I think he would bring Fardy back at the very least, possibly even try and get mowen back somehow - I don’t know if I’m right but I seem to remember him not worrying if players played domestically or overseas

He would play the best set piece hooker. I am guessing he would play a more traditional back row. I doubt Beale would be there long if he ran cross field or did the chip kicks to the opposition. In fact he would demand a certain standard across the board. No being baited into cheap shots. Full accountability for coaches and players alike.
Of course players would need to be eligible and all of Fardy, Mowen and McMahon do not qualify under the Giteau law.

Most of all he would change the systems, simplify them one would think. He would put proven assistants in place that were on the same page as him and that were required to get results.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

You wouldnt worry about where a player played as the coach because most of your targets are short term.

It's a decision larger than the head coach (not that our administrators have any idea what they are doing).

Status
Not open for further replies.