• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Kerevi and Paisami are competing for the same spot in my eyes, with Kerevi probably just edging Paisami out at this stage.

I don't think we'd want both playing together- too many dropped balls in contact and the outside backs would never see the ball!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
We need to win games while we are developing our playing stock. It was ever thus, and will continue to be. We just do not have enough top-line players.

I don't think centre is our big issue. I'd want a lock and a LHP to back up Slipper before I wanted Kerevi back.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Kerevi's a great player but I don't think he helps the team. We need to develop the long term options who are based here.

You obviously haven't been observing enough of recent matches then.. and Samu is still only 26.

I watched the Top League and Kerevi was the player who had the single biggest contribution for Suntory & any Top League team for that matter, including B.Barrett. The only fixture of the season that Suntory lost was the only match Kerevi was unavailable for injured, which was the grand final. They only lost by 5 points and he would've made an enormous difference to the outcome.

Samu is a 108kg battering ram. The Wallabies have a terrible balance to their backline currently and at international level need at least one big frame preferably in the centres or outside backs. They need penetration in the midfield, preferably at 13. Both Kerevi and Petaia can provide it. Having Kerevi at 13 with Petaia at 15 would be even better & would give them more line-breaking ability.

Paisami & Ikitau were easily contained by the young French, didn't even put a dent in their defensive line. If Rennie can call in Duncan.. he can call in Kerevi since he'll be available after the Olympic 7s.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You obviously haven't been observing enough of recent matches then.. and Samu is still only 26.

I watched the Top League and Kerevi was the player who had the single biggest contribution for Suntory & any Top League team for that matter, including B.Barrett. The only fixture of the season that Suntory lost was the only match Kerevi was unavailable for injured, which was the grand final. They only lost by 5 points and he would've made an enormous difference to the outcome.

Samu is a 108kg battering ram. The Wallabies have a terrible balance to their backline currently and at international level need at least one big frame preferably in the centres or outside backs. They need penetration in the midfield, preferably at 13. Both Kerevi and Petaia can provide it. Having Kerevi at 13 with Petaia at 15 would be even better & would give them more line-breaking ability.

Paisami & Ikitau were easily contained by the young French, didn't even put a dent in their defensive line. If Rennie can call in Duncan.. he can call in Kerevi since he'll be available after the Olympic 7s.

I.....I agree with you.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think centre is our big issue. I'd want a lock and a LHP to back up Slipper before I wanted Kerevi back.

Shame we can;t get Skelton or Arnold signed - but I truly hope they use them in the euro tour later this year.

Sio and Bell gives us a fairly reasonable 3 options at LHP. Robertson 4th, Orr 5th.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Kerevi and Paisami are competing for the same spot in my eyes, with Kerevi probably just edging Paisami out at this stage.

I don't think we'd want both playing together- too many dropped balls in contact and the outside backs would never see the ball!

I like Hunter at 12, he may not disperse the ball passing as well as some of our great 12's interms of creating tries but offers a decent running threat & his kicking game is not too bad. Then on the outside you can have your big bull to crash the edges at 13. I think this could be a very good midfield for the gold jersey.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I like Hunter at 12, he may not disperse the ball passing as well as some of our great 12's interms of creating tries but offers a decent running threat & his kicking game is not too bad. Then on the outside you can have your big bull to crash the edges at 13. I think this could be a very good midfield for the gold jersey.
Respectfully disagree - Paisami and Kerevi are too similar and limited to be paired together. Granted Kerevi is probably slightly more robust in contact and Paisami slightly better at distributing, neither of them instinctually look to involve other players. You would hate to play outside them. At international level being big and abrasive isn’t enough.

Ikitau was more than serviceable during the France series and should only improve with more experience. Let’s allow him to play more football and other talented candidates in Petaia or Perese if they can manage to find consistency.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think the tune would change for many people if Hunter was knocked out in the first Bledisloe. I'd welcome Kerevi back to the squad even if it was simple to bolster the squad depth.

In any event, Kerevi looks to be in Australia quarantine based on his IG.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the tune would change for many people if Hunter was knocked out in the first Bledisloe. I'd welcome Kerevi back to the squad even if it was simple to bolster the squad depth.

In any event, Kerevi looks to be in Australia quarantine based on his IG.

This. He would be a huge asset to the squad.

I think they are very different players, anyway. Paisami runs hard and straight but he doesn't get the gainline meters Kerevi gets at will. Paisami is a lot better at distributing and kicking. They both have pros and cons.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think it would be interesting to see Samu and Hunter running together. The problem is, I reckon both of the best positions are 12, so one would have to move out a position. Samu has had defensive issues at 13 and Hunter I don't feel influences the game as much on attack from that spot either. On balance I'd play Hunter at 12 and make Samu fight for the spot at outside centre with Len and Jordie.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Don’t know if someone has mentioned earlier but Samu used to tear up Coogee Oval for Randwick at 12. I know it’s a large step up in standard, plus he has aged and bulked up for forward play. So not sure it’s even feasible or that he’s the next best option but he knows the position.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Don’t know if someone has mentioned earlier but Samu used to tear up Coogee Oval for Randwick at 12. I know it’s a large step up in standard, plus he has aged and bulked up for forward play. So not sure it’s even feasible or that he’s the next best option but he knows the position.

The Samu they are referring to is the Kerevi version. Interesting nonetheless!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What was the feedback on Samu playing 7s - unfortunately I didn’t get to watch any of the games.

Kerevi has already proven at test level he can bust through even the best defenders with his size and power. His problems have always been around his passing decisions/ball retention and his defensive decision making.

I’d assume he would have had to really improve in both those areas to make the 7s squad. What is the wider view?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Normally I’m pretty staunch that we shouldn’t bring in overseas players, but Kerevi just played for the 7’s team for free and i kind of thing he has paid his dues a bit. In terms of squad depth he could be a pretty handy player to have in the team through the RC.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wonder what effect the Brisbane lockdown will have on the possibility of Kerevi getting on board the Wallaby train?