• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Tupou's head knock has suddenly pointed the spotlight on our Prop stocks. As much as THP might be our present issue, the LHP spot could be the bigger problem leading into RWC23. A couple of months ago, it all looked roses. But with Sio's loss of form, and Angus Bell being shown to be a bit of a weakness at scrum time, and now questions being asked by the NH THPs of Slipper's effectiveness, the roses are starting to wilt.

For next week if Tupou doesn't make it back from the HIA, the best we might put out would be Slipper and Bell on the LH side, and AAA/Robertson on the TH side. My concern with Bell is that he plays like another No 8 in the open but has a lot of trouble holding up his side of the scrum. AAA seems to have some disciplinary issues atm but I do think his YC was a bit harsh. But he seems to be attracting cards lately.

At LHP, if Slipper/Sio don't regain form then we will need some new blood to come to the fore in 2022. I reckon someone like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) might be at the top of the list of possibilities but he might be needed at TH. The pity right now is that he's not in the touring squad.

I fear even if Slipper/Sio do get some form there reputations at scrums will never be great going forward. This may cost us on perception alone given how refs are these days.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
THP for next week is a worry.

Also, our lack of attack in the backs doesn't fill me with confidence. Said earlier in the year that we didn't need Kerevi because we have Hunter, how wrong was I. Kerevi and Cooper badly missed and I am gravely concerned for next week. England will have a field day.
I think the answer is to play Perese in position at 13. We move the focal point one out and focus our attack there. He has Kerevi type penetration and will get us across the gain line. Valentini and TT(if fit. Rennie said he was looking good after the game) can do the same closer to the ruck. Daugunu comes on to the wing. I would revert back to Philip starting and have Arnold on the bench.
You cannot play Paisami and Ikitau together in the centres. They turn over the ball and do not penetrate at all. JOC (James O'Connor) has nowhere to go when nothing is on. Initially Paisami was very good in this regard last year. He seems to have lost the ability to break the line? A cut out pass to Perese and let him truck it up.
As an aside Paisami looks like he is running at the defence now instead of into space.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the answer is to play Perese in position at 13. We move the focal point one out and focus our attack there. He has Kerevi type penetration and will get us across the gain line. Valentini and TT(if fit. Rennie said he was looking good after the game) can do the same closer to the ruck. Daugunu comes on to the wing. I would revert back to Philip starting and have Arnold on the bench.
You cannot play Paisami and Ikitau together in the centres. They turn over the ball and do not penetrate at all. JOC (James O'Connor) has nowhere to go when nothing is on. Initially Paisami was very good in this regard last year. He seems to have lost the ability to break the line? A cut out pass to Perese and let him truck it up.
As an aside Paisami looks like he is running at the defence now instead of into space.
Perese at 12 and Paisami at 13 is a better option. JOC (James O'Connor) plays a defensive game at flyhalf so we need Perese as an attacking player outside of him. Paisami tries to play a playmaker at 12 and is more suited to being a heavy ball runner on the outside. Bringing in McDermott is a better combination for JOC (James O'Connor).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn't mess too much with the backline. We are sorely missing both Quade and Kerevi but we probably should give the present combinations time together especially as some of the suggestions involve players in spots where they don't usually play or have less recent form than the ones they would replace.

However, if Perese was to be tried at 13, then Ikitau would be the best fit at 12 with his more than adequate left boot and overall consistently good form since coming into the team.

I do like the idea of Daugunu replacing Petaia so in my book, Perese probably stays on the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In the outside backs I'd like to see 11. Perese 14. Daugunu 15. Kellaway.

Unlikely to start two new wingers but that's a decent amount of strike power on the wings. Wright doesn't do it for me at all.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wouldn't mess too much with the backline. We are sorely missing both Quade and Kerevi but we probably should give the present combinations time together especially as some of the suggestions involve players in spots where they don't usually play or have less recent form than the ones they would replace.

However, if Perese was to be tried at 13, then Ikitau would be the best fit at 12 with his more than adequate left boot and overall consistently good form since coming into the team.

I do like the idea of Daugunu replacing Petaia so in my book, Perese probably stays on the bench.
Paisami and Ikitau have had time together and have little penetration. Defence is OK or even good but we need to have the ability to make breaks in the midfield.
One or both of our centres need to have that capability. At least one of them.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
And he has duly been called into the squad
I wonder if he will look to return to Australia then. Though we do have some good options who havn't aged out - Ala'alatoa, Tupou and Pona. But the Tahs could use him, as could the Force.

Depends how much they like him in camp. Annoucning for Aus is a big deal for him coz he was eligible over there I believe?

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
If my memory serves me correctly it was Ollies mom that was behind or one of the people leading the rally to get Perth the Super rugby licence way back when our journey first started, wouldn't it be fitting of a Hollywood story if somehow Ollie managed to snare a test cap.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Confirmed: Ollie called into camp

Is this the start a potentailly great story.

Congrats to the family

hoskins.PNG