• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let's hope so.

Can't say I've been impressed with statements from Skelton that "I'm not here to hold the training bags". Not at all the culture that has been evident up till now. I'd love to see the big guy back, but he can leave his attitude of entitlement back in France.

“I’ll definitely be putting my hand up, I think all the boys will be who come in, because we’re not here to sit back and train for the three weeks,”

“We want to try and be involved and put our hand up for selection.”

“Rens (Rennie) gave me a phone call in the middle of the year and asked if I wanted to be involved, ‘we’ve been looking at you’.

“He said keep playing good footy and you might be involved.

“I just put my head down and I’m here now.“

Are you sure you're not just trying to take one quote as much out of context as possible?

It's incredibly clear that all his comments are in line with putting in the effort that would see him get selected not expecting to be selected.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
“I’ll definitely be putting my hand up, I think all the boys will be who come in, because we’re not here to sit back and train for the three weeks,”

“We want to try and be involved and put our hand up for selection.”

“Rens (Rennie) gave me a phone call in the middle of the year and asked if I wanted to be involved, ‘we’ve been looking at you’.

“He said keep playing good footy and you might be involved.

“I just put my head down and I’m here now.“

Are you sure you're not just trying to take one quote as much out of context as possible?

It's incredibly clear that all his comments are in line with putting in the effort that would see him get selected not expecting to be selected.

Thanks Braveheart, the quote I read was more succinct/abbreviated than that.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I’m very much looking forward to the next 3 matches....especially against Eddie and the English.... the turn around under Rennie and the loosening of the eligibility rules has been great... plus the next year of Super rugby... can’t wait for that either...

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
T
I’m very much looking forward to the next 3 matches....especially against Eddie and the English.... the turn around under Rennie and the loosening of the eligibility rules has been great... plus the next year of Super rugby... can’t wait for that either...

The English forward pack they picked v Tonga this weekend is very good. Our boys will need to be on point and up for that game. Their breakdown threat will be massive.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The concern over national sides not having enough time together if many good players are earning big bucks overseas and are only available for the international window (reg 9?) brings back hazy memories of the "good old days" of amateur rugby.
Host nation was only allowed 3 days together before a Test.
We've almost come full circle, especially for the minnows.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Heard many stories about how Kurtley is one of the nicest players in the squad. Always happy to talk to fans and give his time beyond what is required. Bit more to him than just a disruptor.
I’m neutral on KB (Kurtley Beale) personally, don’t have any real issues with him but also know he’s far from essential to the team at this point.

There has been a lot of ‘fairytales’ in Oz rugby the last few years, JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper) being the main ones, Rodda coming back to a lesser extent.

For the most part, these positives changes have come through maturity. I think KB (Kurtley Beale) should hopefully fit that mould also. It’s also a fairly poor reflection on the way these guys were nurtured during their early days playing in Australia. You can’t control everyone, but the pressure and limelight shon onto these blokes early on, clearly did some lasting damage to their psyche. It’s taken 10 years to level them out.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m neutral on KB (Kurtley Beale) personally, don’t have any real issues with him but also know he’s far from essential to the team at this point.

There has been a lot of ‘fairytales’ in Oz rugby the last few years, JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper) being the main ones, Rodda coming back to a lesser extent.

For the most part, these positives changes have come through maturity. I think KB (Kurtley Beale) should hopefully fit that mould also. It’s also a fairly poor reflection on the way these guys were nurtured during their early days playing in Australia. You can’t control everyone, but the pressure and limelight shon onto these blokes early on, clearly did some lasting damage to their psyche. It’s taken 10 years to level them out.

KB (Kurtley Beale) does nothing to excite me in the slightest - that said the various interviews with him display someone who seems a bit more mature and settled. Let's just hope he matches the hype on the field. We've seen a few manage it, and we are also hopeful for Arnold and Skelton.

Let's go boys, even you, Kurtley.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
no issues with KB (Kurtley Beale) on the bench given lack of depth at fullback, at his best he was a world class fullback. Certainly worse players to have on the bench for maturity and experience towards the end of the game

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
no issues with KB (Kurtley Beale) on the bench given lack of depth at fullback, at his best he was a world class fullback. Certainly worse players to have on the bench for maturity and experience towards the end of the game
At his best he did some world class things. But I don't think he would have been picked in a World XV.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At his best he did some world class things. But I don't think he would have been picked in a World XV.

he was nominated for World Rugby Player of the Year in 2010. Beale was fullback for the wallabies most of that year.

Reactions: TSR

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
he was nominated for World Rugby Player of the Year in 2010. Beale was fullback for the wallabies most of that year.
Mmmm. Would you have picked him as the best full back in the world? To my mind he was wonderful in attack, but always a bit iffy in defense.

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You guys have got to be kidding. The bloke has played 92 tests and is still playing top quality rugby in France. Have a look at some of his games.
He is still a far better fullback than either Banks or Hodge and like JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper now has a much better head on his shoulders.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You guys have got to be kidding. The bloke has played 92 tests and is still playing top quality rugby in France. Have a look at some of his games.
He is still a far better fullback than either Banks or Hodge and like JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper now has a much better head on his shoulders.

I have exactly nil interest in watching Beale's games in France. He must have improved out of sight to meet the claim "Far better" than Banks or Hodge.

Beale was an elusive runner but could tend to crab and not gain ground when a game was under pressure. His high ball could be OK but you could not always rely on it. He generally lost any kicking duel from the back. He had confidence and could be damaging in attack but his D was best hidden in the backline. A bloke who could single-handedly win a match, and often didn't.

The first time he returned from Europe he had improved out of sight. Truly impressive. I take it from the general enthusiasm for the guy that he is in that mode again, which is great. I'll also take as read the comment around being nominated in 2010 - it is churlish to not acknowledge that sort of recognition.

Personally though, I'd be much happier with a fit Hodge or Banks. I've no doubt Beale will go well, but the reason he is here is problems with our depth due to injury. That and location.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Unless another fullback was nominated in 2010 surely that answers the question.

Lomu was a bit iffy in defence as well. So was Campo. Both undoubtedly World XV in their time.
Mils Muliaina was also nominated in 2010

Reactions: TSR