• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tupou's head knock has suddenly pointed the spotlight on our Prop stocks. As much as THP might be our present issue, the LHP spot could be the bigger problem leading into RWC23. A couple of months ago, it all looked roses. But with Sio's loss of form, and Angus Bell being shown to be a bit of a weakness at scrum time, and now questions being asked by the NH THPs of Slipper's effectiveness, the roses are starting to wilt.

For next week if Tupou doesn't make it back from the HIA, the best we might put out would be Slipper and Bell on the LH side, and AAA/Robertson on the TH side. My concern with Bell is that he plays like another No 8 in the open but has a lot of trouble holding up his side of the scrum. AAA seems to have some disciplinary issues atm but I do think his YC was a bit harsh. But he seems to be attracting cards lately.

At LHP, if Slipper/Sio don't regain form then we will need some new blood to come to the fore in 2022. I reckon someone like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) might be at the top of the list of possibilities but he might be needed at TH. The pity right now is that he's not in the touring squad.

I would be able to ignore my moral misgivings of Cobus Eloff becoming an honorary aussie once he's been here for 3 seasons at the Rebs. He's an absolute gun and not one I would enjoy seeing front up for the Boks in the future. The boy can play.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would be able to ignore my moral misgivings of Cobus Eloff becoming an honorary aussie once he's been here for 3 seasons at the Rebs. He's an absolute gun and not one I would enjoy seeing front up for the Boks in the future. The boy can play.
Is he eligible?

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
In terms of section 8 paragraph 14 of World Rugby rules:

14. How is the Residence criteria satisfied?
Regulation 8.1(c) requires a Player to complete 36 consecutive months of
Residence immediately preceding the time of playing. Residence is
defined as “the place or location in which the Player has his primary and
permanent home” and Resident shall be construed accordingly. In
essence, Regulation 8.1(c) constitutes a sporting naturalization
procedure, based on a geographical/presence test. As in any
naturalisation process, a number of factors will influence the determination
of what constitutes a Player’s permanent and primary home. Such factors
include, but are not limited to, the actual time spent in a country and the
purpose of any absences during the qualification period. By being
Resident in a country for a period of 36 consecutive months immediately
preceding the time of playing for a Union, a Player is deemed to acquire a
credible, close and established national link with a country/Union that
entitles him to participate in sporting competitions for that Union. Based
on the overriding rationale of the eligibility Regulations, in cases where a
Player’s eligibility is uncertain the Regulations Committee will consider
that Player’s eligibility by reference to the particular facts and
circumstances of his case to establish if the Residency test, in the context
of the overall rationale of the eligibility Regulations, has been satisfied.
The principles set out in responses to the questions below will act as
guidelines to the Regulations Committee when it is asked to consider any
cases pursuant to this criterion.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To me the recent game against Scotland highlighted concerns at 12. We really missed kerevi but Paisami or perese could be the answer (ok not sure perese suited to 12 as only seen him play at 13 or wing). Also not seen foketi at test level despite being in the squad.

10 is also still a concern as again only really Quade been convincing but he is near the end of his career and complication of being in Japan. Funny thing is I thought we were good for prop stocks but Scotland yeh raised some concerns there. I agree lot of good young props coming through reds so maybe time to give them some wallaby squad time as development players to help accelerate building depth at wallaby level. Be interesting to see what pone could do at this level. Robertson not a bad LHP option and still quite young so maybe not ready to quite hit the alarm button on prop options.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To me the recent game against Scotland highlighted concerns at 12. We really missed kerevi but Paisami or perese could be the answer (ok not sure perese suited to 12 as only seen him play at 13 or wing). Also not seen foketi at test level despite being in the squad.

10 is also still a concern as again only really Quade been convincing but he is near the end of his career and complication of being in Japan. Funny thing is I thought we were good for prop stocks but Scotland yeh raised some concerns there. I agree lot of good young props coming through reds so maybe time to give them some wallaby squad time as development players to help accelerate building depth at wallaby level. Be interesting to see what pone could do at this level. Robertson not a bad LHP option and still quite young so maybe not ready to quite hit the alarm button on prop options.
Pone has been exciting with his ball carrying but scrummaging is a big query. Not sure if he is ready yet.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think you're right. He'd get towelled up by Englang

He's a novice, for sure. He would struggle against just about every national team at the moment. But if he can learn the dark arts, he will be an outstanding weapon.

I still reckon he is more likely to make the grade as a #8. He is 1.96 tall!!!

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting to see after the game that most of the Wallabies looked rightfully disappointed with the result and had the shits ... which is a good thing..... but Kurtley ‘blow in ’ Beale was smiling and laughing with some of the Scots.... it is one thing to be sportsman like after a loss and congratulate your opposition but another to be happy to lose.... I hate seeing that... Rennie needs to get that into Beale’s head...... plus with a couple of minutes to go and needing to keep possession he kicks it out!!! Some experience there!! Over rated in my book...

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting to see after the game that most of the Wallabies looked rightfully disappointed with the result and had the shits ... which is a good thing..... but Kurtley ‘blow in ’ Beale was smiling and laughing with some of the Scots.... it is one thing to be sportsman like after a loss and congratulate your opposition but another to be happy to lose.... I hate seeing that... Rennie needs to get that into Beale’s head...... plus with a couple of minutes to go and needing to keep possession he kicks it out!!! Some experience there!! Over rated in my book...
Yawn. Most boring recurring conversation in sport. Athletes are humans too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you like losing you shouldn’t be there.... save the pleasantries for the post match function...

What post match function? Even the teams meeting in the change rooms after the games is a bit of a rarity these days.

The demand for performative anger and crying after a match is dumb. It has absolutely nothing to do with on field performance.

Also, it's less surprising that the guys who have played a lot of tests are more friendly with the opposition after the game because they are far more likely to know them. Only 7 of the 23 had ever played Scotland before.