• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've long felt Banks was overhyped and not understood why people seem to love him so much. And while last year in the Brumbies I thought he again was getting praise for just touching the ball or being anywhere near it, in the Wallabies I felt he was quite solid. This year for the Brumbies he's actually been impressing me too. I'd be perfectly OK with him being the first pick for 15 in the Wallabies this year.

Yeah, Banks is OK, Hodge is OK

Neither is a quality test player (so far) @15, they are OK

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The problem with this kind of narrative is that we generously overlook all the times where Hodge hasn't performed strongly for the Wallabies. For every game where he plays well (rarely very well), there's another three where he misses the kicks he's expected to nail, generally plods around the field in his awkward manner, and again we start wishing we had someone who could break a tackle and had pace.

Let's reward the form fullback in Super Rugby AU (Banks)- Hodge isn't ever going to be the solution at 15.

Hodge is a solid 7/10 test player, he does a consistent job every time, not great, but not crap either, he makes his tackles, catches and kicks well

Banks may have more up side, but he hasn't shown that in test rugby, consistently

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hodge is a solid 7/10 test player, he does a consistent job every time, not great, but not crap either, he makes his tackles, catches and kicks well

Hodge missed a few tackles against Fiji in the RWC. To be fair it was against Fiji

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Banks as far as I can tell doesn't have the skillset to be an international 15. He can run a nice line and kick for touch, but doesn't have the distribution, general play kicking or size for the international game. Hodge and Campbell are both equally limited in their own way.

The only player that seems to have the full skillet is Maddocks, however he's still prone to making dumb mistakes and isn't being helped by the team around him to say the least. Unfortunatley, unless the Tahs can turn things around sharpish, he probably won't make the Wallabies this year.

A player I'd love to see tried at 15 is Petaia, who I think might find its his natural position vs 11 or 13.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The problem with this kind of narrative is that we generously overlook all the times where Hodge hasn't performed strongly for the Wallabies. For every game where he plays well (rarely very well), there's another three where he misses the kicks he's expected to nail, generally plods around the field in his awkward manner, and again we start wishing we had someone who could break a tackle and had pace.

Let's reward the form fullback in Super Rugby AU (Banks)- Hodge isn't ever going to be the solution at 15.

To be fair, I can't remember him having a genuinely bad game, only a number of 'unremarkable' games.

But I can recall at least three big games against New Zealand where he has stepped up in a major way and delivered a performance that helped us win the game. That counts for a lot in my eyes.

I don't have anything against Banks, I think he's a solid enough Super player and an OK test player. I won't cry if he's picked over Hodge. But going into a big game I'd be more confident with Hodge in that role than Banks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hodge is slightly younger than Banks and has played 45 tests since debuting in 2016.

Banks has played 11 tests in the last three years and has been dropped more often than just about any player that keeps getting a crack.

I expect Banks will get another crack this year but it seems unlikely to me he's about to cement himself as a long term option at 15 or indeed in the 23.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hodge will be in the 23. He is playing well. I think he would be a safer and better option than Banks. Apart from anything else, he has a degree of versatility that Banks does not, he can play anywhere in the backs except 9. That is worth a lot, I reckon.
Hodge I reckon will be in 23 and on bench for great utility value plus goal kicking as his long range goal kicking skills also of value to have on the bench late in the game to draw on. Banks would start ahead of hodge at fullback and his to lose as at least playing fullback but sure hodge comes from bench and plays blinder at fullback could unsurp hodge. If banks not starting at 15 would be out of 23 as does not offer versatility other bench options offer for sure.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We have this sort of debate every year, as Hodge looks so-so at Super level.

But every year he gets picked in the Wallabies, and every year he lifts his game the moment he pulls on a gold jersey. He won a Bledisloe match playing 10 last year, somehow. He's one of a rare breed who seem to save their best for when it matters most.

He's proven himself enough times that I don't really mind much about his Super form.
And by virtue of that and his utility value almost guaranteed at least a bench spot. Hard not to like his utility value and shows what a talented footballer he is but hard to move beyond the utility value at wallaby level in nailing down one position but heck i reckon players would kill for his utility value if that means could get regular wallaby gig.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hodge is slightly younger than Banks and has played 45 tests since debuting in 2016.

Banks has played 11 tests in the last three years and has been dropped more often than just about any player that keeps getting a crack.

I expect Banks will get another crack this year but it seems unlikely to me he's about to cement himself as a long term option at 15 or indeed in the 23.
I don't think Hodge is ever going to cement himself in that position either unless he shows real improvement in his place-kicking and we're content with a Leigh Halfpenny-type custodian.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Hodge is ever going to cement himself in that position either unless he shows real improvement in his place-kicking and we're content with a Leigh Halfpenny-type custodian.

Halfpenny played 99 tests.

Like Rob Simmons, people will still be questioning whether Reece Hodge is any good when he is playing his 80th or 100th test for the Wallabies.

He's the real beale.

From all reports he's really rekindled his form in the Top 14 this year and his team are running third. I certainly am not suggesting he will or should be called back for the Wallabies but his dismal form in 2020 Super Rugby certainly wasn't the end for him as a rugby player.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
A bit of a left field suggestion that I'm sure won't be tried, but how would Lolesio go at fullback? The kiwis have often put younger, inexperienced fly-halves there to ease them into test rugby (Barrett, Mo'unga, Mackenzie, etc.). Lolesio has a very good running game, can create opportunities with broken field running and distribution and a good kicking. It would also save him being in the defensive front line and allow him to drop into first receiver when required.

Biggest concerns would obviously be how he goes under the high ball, and last man defense.
Probably not required if we've got JOC (James O'Connor) and MT at 10 and 12 providing 2 playmakers, but could be an interesting option given our lack of stand out candidates for 15.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
A bit of a left field suggestion that I'm sure won't be tried, but how would Lolesio go at fullback?

Didn't he slot in to fullback for a few games last year and absolutely fluff the positioning and defence? Find himself in complete no-man's land because he didn't have the experience to know when to stay back and when to join the line?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't he slot in to fullback for a few games last year and absolutely fluff the positioning and defence? Find himself in complete no-man's land because he didn't have the experience to know when to stay back and when to join the line?

He got thrown in for his debut against the All Blacks after both JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua went down, and was certainly shielded back there for much of the game........

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Don't expect Hodge to get any game time at fullback this year for the Rebels. They're quite happy with Pincus till DHP returns.

Is it crazy to have JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback? That way you fit the Reds players all in.
9. White 10. To'omua 11. Koroibete 12. Paisami 13. Petaia 14. Daugunu 15. JOC (James O'Connor) 22. McDermott 23. Hodge