• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The problem with all the hookers is consistency - particularly in their throwing. And it doesn’t help BPA is leaving.

I had him as my clear starting 2, but he missed a couple of key throws on Friday. The fact he is going and is unlikely to be a priority OS player to bring back means it probably makes sense to go past him for Test duty.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The problem with all the hookers is consistency - particularly in their throwing. And it doesn’t help BPA is leaving.

I had him as my clear starting 2, but he missed a couple of key throws on Friday. The fact he is going and is unlikely to be a priority OS player to bring back means it probably makes sense to go past him for Test duty.
I get what you're saying, and, to a point, I agree.
BUT, I think the issue of players going OS is going to be a constant theme in the future, part of the natural cycle of their careers, I guess. If a player who is going is clearly the best option (not saying he is here), I think we pick the best players we can pick. Sadly we will have many very good players who will leave on their upward trajectory, and I don't think we have the luxury of ignoring them in Test teams too much.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We need to focus on bringing through some younger local hookers, Kaitu’u and Uelese, and have one experienced hooker in the group. Latu might be a good one to have. Surely he could be persuaded to return and sign with the Tahs or the Reds in place of BPA?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Left to right passing aint really up to scratch. Decision making is also questionable when under pressure, not ideal in a 12.

I still prefer his hard running and tackling at 13.
I would say that Paisamis option taking and passing game have been superior to To’omuas so far this year and it is improving quickly. His kicking as well.
We have a hard running and tackling 13 in Perese and I would think that Kerevi would be a good call up for the Rugby Championship.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would say that Paisamis option taking and passing game have been superior to To’omuas so far this year and it is improving quickly. His kicking as well.
We have a hard running and tackling 13 in Perese and I would think that Kerevi would be a good call up for the Rugby Championship.

Yeah To'omua has been shockers. Agree on that front.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
What is Ikitau’s range of playing positions? If he loses the race for a starting position is he versatile enough to be a viable bench option?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
There seems to be general agreement that Paisami is our best 12 AND 13, so the question is, where do we have the next best player. Experience wise it's certainly To'omua at 12, however certainly not with form. The next best form 12 is Simone, however IMO he is well behind both Ikatau and Perese. Meaning, either DR plays it safe and uses To'omua at 12, given he has a young and inexperienced 13, or regard JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 provisding the necessary leadership, play Pausami at 12 and one of Perese or Ikatau at 13 (Don't think there's a lot between them, Ikatau for BR, Perese for KOB:) ).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
MT is perfect for 22, he can cover 10 and 12 and brings assuredness and experience in the back end of games. If a rookie centre pairing is not working he can come on early and steady the ship.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am ok giving Harrison, frost and wells a run.

Don’t know why you don’t like wells - he has been good this year.

RN I've posted elsewhere that I think he has been surprisingly good this year but I reckon still a long way off being a Wallaby. If everyone who played a good game now and then was a potential Wallaby we would need a squad of some hundreds to cater.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I guess because being ‘ok’ or ‘competitive’ in Super Rugby TT should not be the threshold for getting a Wallabies jumper (although I’m pretty sure BR had a different view of Powell when he were a predominantly white jersey..)

Half backs were fewer and further apart in those days E. Still think Joe's a very good No 9 and better than some others around including at the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There seems to be general agreement that Paisami is our best 12 AND 13, so the question is, where do we have the next best player. Experience wise it's certainly To'omua at 12, however certainly not with form. The next best form 12 is Simone, however IMO he is well behind both Ikatau and Perese. Meaning, either DR plays it safe and uses To'omua at 12, given he has a young and inexperienced 13, or regard JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 provisding the necessary leadership, play Pausami at 12 and one of Perese or Ikatau at 13 (Don't think there's a lot between them, Ikatau for BR, Perese for KOB:) ).

Gold pickup Froggy. However, I would be slightly more favourable towards Perese at the moment.

EDIT: With the short turnaround I hope to see them both get a run against France. I prefer that to Matty at 12.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Gold pickup Froggy. However, I would be slightly more favourable towards Perese at the moment.

EDIT: With the short turnaround I hope to see them both get a run against France. I prefer that to Matty at 12.
Agree Perese ahead but thought Ikitau was good last night, particularly in defence. He should get a run against France.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If Naisarani is left out, he has right to feel slighted. If he plays then LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is essential (even more so).
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 6. Valetini 7. Hooper 8. Wilson 19. reserve lock 20. Naisarani

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
RN there has to be a limit to the "promising", "potential" or "worthy toilers" getting Wallaby caps. I hope we never see any of Porecki, Wells or Godwin near the Wallabies, and probably neither of Powell or Fotuaki either.
Aside from Valetini & Wilson which backrower is playing better than Wells?

The options as I see them - Uru isn’t, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) maybe is, but I am not sure he provides what we need; Swinton isn’t; Anstee isn’t. Kemeny isn’t. Nasirani - maybe.

I’ll preempt that your probably going to say Fergus Lee-Warner. Personally I’d take Wells by a fair margin.

Wells isn’t going to be a 100 test Wallaby but we have to pick from who is available and, personally, I’d have Wells in front of any of the other options.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wells wouldn’t let anyone down. Ditto for Lee Warner. I dont see Naisarani being required when we have Valentini, Wilson and Swinton covering 6-8. Also hard to see Wells chosen ahead of McReight. Uru can also play in the 2nd row which means he probably gets the nod?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Aside from Valetini & Wilson which backrower is playing better than Wells?

The options as I see them - Uru isn’t, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) maybe is, but I am not sure he provides what we need; Swinton isn’t; Anstee isn’t. Kemeny isn’t. Nasirani - maybe.

I’ll preempt that your probably going to say Fergus Lee-Warner. Personally I’d take Wells by a fair margin.

Wells isn’t going to be a 100 test Wallaby but we have to pick from who is available and, personally, I’d have Wells in front of any of the other options.

Fair enough TSR but I have all three of Naisarani, Uru and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) well ahead of Wells on ability to perform at test level. Isi has been there for quite a few years despite "having things to work on" with recent coaches. I think Wells has played his best rugby this year but imo that is not at the level we've seen from Uru from time to time, nor from FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) on every occasion he dons a jersey.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair enough TSR but I have all three of Naisarani, Uru and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) well ahead of Wells on ability to perform at test level. Isi has been there for quite a few years despite "having things to work on" with recent coaches. I think Wells has played his best rugby this year but imo that is not at the level we've seen from Uru from time to time, nor from FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) on every occasion he dons a jersey.
I must admit I posted this before which today’s game on delay. Nasirani was pretty bloody good today.

Even took a lineout.

I guess we’ll never know until they actually get a chance - and the reality is a couple of them probably won’t - but it’s good to have a couple of guys to talk about.