• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If this squad was really picked on form, Angus Bell would be nowhere near it. He's either been injured or getting monstered by every prop he's gone up against. Shouldn't have been there last year, should never have won two Wallaby caps and shouldn't be there this year. He might get there one day, but what message does this send to all those props who have outplayed and out-scrummed him over the past two years - it helps if you are a Waratah and your dad was one too. Vunivalu is in the same position. I think his hamstring strain saves Thorn having to drop him because while he's an outstanding athlete, he looks lost on the rugby field.

when did Vunivalu's dad play for the Waratahs?

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Really? Seriously?
Agree. They are both terrible. Talk about an armchair ride. These 2 and like a few others in the Reds have received that from Brad Thorn. I said it before and I won’t name names but there are better players around the 21-25 age bracket that are better and do deserve a crack. But it’s all political and who you know.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
So what if he's departing. I would have thought the priority is for the Wallabies to actually start winning matches again. If BPA helps with that, then pick him while he is here. If we concentrate too much on developing players for next World Cup instead of prioritising winning internationals, it will only be the diehard rugby supporters who are left.
BTW, I would have both Reds' LHPs - Zander and Hoopert - above Bell at this stage of their careers.
They are both terrible. Talk about an armchair ride. These 2 and like a few others in the Reds have received that from Brad Thorn. I said it before and I won’t name names but there are better players around the 21-25 age bracket that are better and do deserve a crack. But it’s all political and who you know

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
They are both terrible. Talk about an armchair ride. These 2 and like a few others in the Reds have received that from Brad Thorn. I said it before and I won’t name names but there are better players around the 21-25 age bracket that are better and do deserve a crack. But it’s all political and who you know

I'm not comparing them with other players who you say deserve to be in the Reds' squad - that doesn't interest me. I'm comparing them with Angus Bell, and I still say they are more effective and more consistent in their roles than he is.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Those who are suggesting Vunivalu is lucky to be in the squad and that he's too green, the dude has over 300 points (try points too not those easy goal kicking points) in NRL, he's got over 100 NRL caps, he's won two premierships with the Storm, and runner up twice more... Yes over 4 years.

Yet some of the guys that are being put up to include in the squad ahead of him probably haven't even won a club premiership let alone a professional Rugby comp. Granted he's not been playing Rugby Union for those 4 years, and it's been a while since he was in the Blues academy but he's been a Rugby Union player his whole life, and it won't take him long to adapt -- he'll more probably make the XV at worst the 23.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
when did Vunivalu's dad play for the Waratahs?

I could have worded that better, but I think you deliberately misunderstand me. Let me rephrase.
Vunivalu can also count himself lucky because although he has shown glimpses of his potential, he still has a lot to learn about positional play, especially in defence and under the high ball. My worry is that he may find himself selected for the Wallabies, not on what he is capable of delivering now, but on what people want him to be, and what he probably will be in 12 months' time. The All Blacks and the French will expose him brutally if he shows those frailties against them.

But remember, this is just my opinion, and we are all allowed to have them, no?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not comparing them with other players who you say deserve to be in the Reds' squad - that doesn't interest me. I'm comparing them with Angus Bell, and I still say they are more effective and more consistent in their roles than he is.

Maybe Rennie thinks that Bell is already better and/or will be better than those guys soon?

Maybe Rennie can see that the Reds scrum is substantially better than the Waratahs scrum and as such isn't just picking props based on the success of their team's scrum.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maybe Rennie thinks that Bell is already better and/or will be better than those guys soon?

Maybe Rennie can see that the Reds scrum is substantially better than the Waratahs scrum and as such isn't just picking props based on the success of their team's scrum.

Good points, but interestingly he also didn't pick BPA, Scott-Young or Blyth, all members of a highly effective Reds scrum (and arguably a more effective unit when BPA is at hooker, rather than Mafi)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good points, but interestingly he also didn't pick BPA, Scott-Young or Blyth, all members of a highly effective Reds scrum (and arguably a more effective unit when BPA is at hooker, rather than Mafi)
No arguments there. BPA definitely the superior scrummager. Better around the park as well IMO. Both equally capable of losing the plot at lineout time.

BPA is the best of a fairly average bunch IMO.

Anyone been keeping track of Latu's form?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
he'll more probably make the XV at worst the 23.

I'm not sure. I think Rennie showed last season a reluctance to pick both Daugunu and Koriebete in the same side, and I think we will see the same with Vunivalu and Koro.

He'll get a run at some point but I think I'd prefer a kicking winger like Wright or even Petaia to partner Marika.

So then you wonder if he'll wear 23 a lot, which is possible but he's not super versatile so maybe not.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I'd be surprised if BPA isn't part of the actual test squad this year.

I'd also be surprised if Angus Blyth isn't part of it. I doubt Angus Scott-Young will be. There are still a couple more backrowers to be added (Hooper and Wright).

This is not a test squad. It's for a three day camp and clearly includes a bunch of players who won't be part of the actual squad come test season.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sio was left out because he is the no.3 LHP in their eyes and they wanted to take extra hookers so couldn''t fit him.

BPA probably left out because I'm sure he will go to France sooner then later, most probably getting released early.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
BPA is clearly the best hooker at the Reds and most likely the best hooker in Australia. He's down on form (because he's not played enough) but he's looked REALLY impressive in his few games, IMO Mafi and BPA will probably be the two Wallabies Hookers. .

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My biggest concern with PONI selections is no obvious examination of fullback options beyond Banks as to me never was a fan for him being selected for wallabies and all his performances reinforced that to me. He is not an amazing super rugby player and at best a middling honest super rugby player that does not excite.

Hodge I don't see as answer either. So what other options - maybe Wright if tried there but again if not playing FB regularly at Super Rugby level would probably take a few games to see what can offer and hence would there be a preparedness to do that. Ful.lback continues to be an area where we really feel let down by test quality options.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hookers: Fainga'a, Uelese, BPA, Kaituu
Props: Sio, Slipper, Bell, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Faamausili
Locks: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hosea, Neville, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Uru
Backrow: Wilson, Samu, Swinton, Valetini, Mcreight, Wright
Halfback: White, Mcdermott, Gordon, Powell
Flyhalves: To'omua JOC (James O'Connor), Lolesio
Centres: Hodge, Simone, Paisami, Petaia, Ikitau
Outsidebacks: Koroibete, Vunivalu, Daugunu, Wright, Campbell, Banks

Left 1 spot for a backrower - Could be Uru with Timani coming in (though with Rodda and Phillips on the horizon I'm not holding my breath for Timani OR Neville. Could be Kemeny, Stander or Hardwick. None are likely to make the final 33 let alone a match squad, but they deserve to be in the conversation.

I picked injured players because it's more of a brains meeting then a physical one (though left out DHP). Bit skinny on FB cover, expecting Hodge to spend more time back there then at 12.

Checking who was closest I picked 34 out of 40, upthereds 32 out of 40 and TSR 29 out of 40.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My biggest concern with PONI selections is no obvious examination of fullback options beyond Banks as to me never was a fan for him being selected for wallabies and all his performances reinforced that to me. He is not an amazing super rugby player and at best a middling honest super rugby player that does not excite.

Hodge I don't see as answer either. So what other options - maybe Wright if tried there but again if not playing FB regularly at Super Rugby level would probably take a few games to see what can offer and hence would there be a preparedness to do that. Ful.lback continues to be an area where we really feel let down by test quality options.

There is a lot of dislike for Tom Banks on these threads but he is extremely safe at fullback if not always spectacular. Hardly ever drops the high ball, his positional play is excellent, is a good defender and to top it off he is far and away the best at taking penalty kicks for touch in the country. Really, a lot to like about Tom and there's few challenging him atm.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
There is a lot of dislike for Tom Banks on these threads but he is extremely safe at fullback if not always spectacular. Hardly ever drops the high ball, his positional play is excellent, is a good defender and to top it off he is far and away the best at taking penalty kicks for touch in the country. Really, a lot to like about Tom and there's few challenging him atm.

I agree TB is a very reliable fullback, he is really good at structured backline plays and his running lines are fantastic also no substitute for pace. The only thing I would say he lacks is being able to read the game and vision to create something from the back by himself. This is something Jock Campbell is very good at, I don't think he is a better option then TB at this point I'll take safe and reliable at the back we have enough others that can read the game in the backline.