• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
No one is even considering Hodge at 13?
I think if nothing else we'll need his experience in the backline.

I agree going a 6/2 split is probably going to be ideal.

Big no for me. Hodge doesn't have that next level in him(yet). He is a little below Mr reliable tag for me. Still misses tackles he should make, throws some shocking passes and his rugby IQ isn't where it should be for a guy with his experience. I like him, seems like a good honest toiler but just doesn't appear to have that next level in him, kind of like Godwin.

We have Paisami, Ikitau as the starting centres most likely and I would select Foketi or Simone there before Hodge.

Only position I would consider him is 15 and only if they use his boot as part of the game plan. Otherwise you get no upside over Banks.

If Hodge is fit you'd imagine he is all but guaranteed a bench slot with other versatile players out of action.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Do any of the above have the ability or experience to come close (or ever come close) to him? 134 Super Rugby caps and 70 tests.

Worlds best tackler or not - he would still walk into the 10 jersey at Tahs, Rebels and Force still and if To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) are really out (let's hope not) there is no one better available.

Now let's be clear - this is a drastic solution to a crisis. Let's hope it doesn't come to it. But if we need another 10 training in the squad just in case - I'd rather pick one of the most successful and experienced 10s in the last decade then dig deep to another kid who has questionable status as a professional rugby player.
Let’s get Quade in. I think he’ll show up most of the backline. If we’re only worried about his tackling then we’re onto a real winner. I think his 80% game (20% brain fart) is better than what’s on offer at full fitness.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Alexandre Fischer, a promising young French player who was part of the travelling squad will no longer take part not because of injury, but because he lost his passport in transit and was turned around at Dubai. Probably the stupidest reason not to be debut for your country.

Somehow you not really all that surprised that a French player would do that.
You can see a shrug of the shoulders and him saying "ces choses arrivent" or something:rolleyes::)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I wouldn’t trust a Frenchman as far as I could throw one, but they have said they are going to run out their strongest sides for tests 1 and 3. If I were in charge I’d do the same for test 1 and test 2 six days later, except for maybe some 50/50 positions to try to sew up the series, and use the 3rd test for the more fringe players.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn’t trust a Frenchman as far as I could throw one, but they have said they are going to run out their strongest sides for tests 1 and 3. If I were in charge I’d do the same for test 1 and test 2 six days later, except for maybe some 50/50 positions to try to sew up the series, and use the 3rd test for the more fringe players.

So we target #3 for a return perhaps of White, JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua. Which may or may not be our strongest team.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so as far as a successful year for the Wallabies what is more important the French series or the RC ? so if they want as many as possible fit for the RC then they wont risk partially fit peeps, JOC (James O'Connor) To'omua, others ? against France. if the selectors think winning a series is more important and lets face it we are unlikely to beat the ABs and the Boks more than once (and on recent evidence not at all) to win the RC, they may take a risk to win against France.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
you'd have to think at this rate with the situation in Sydney that the Sydney test will either be moved or played without spectators.