• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if COVID plays a part there in terms of getting someone from Melbourne instead of Perth?

Unlucky for Robertson either way. He had a very good season which hasn't been rewarded.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I made note of this earlier - perhaps its this:

Tom Robertson = 107kg

James Slipper = 117kg
Scott Sio = 115kg
Angus Bell = 118kg
Cameron Orr = 114kg

How much do you reckon Bell was busting for a piss when he got weighed? I know he's fairly solid, but I find it hard to believe Scotty is 3 kg lighter than him.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
How much do you reckon Bell was busting for a piss when he got weighed? I know he's fairly solid, but I find it hard to believe Scotty is 3 kg lighter than him.

Nah I'd believe that. It was only when I saw Bell in person for the first time at a Tahs game last year I realized how big he is. He has an enormous frame

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I made note of this earlier - perhaps its this:

Tom Robertson = 107kg

James Slipper = 117kg
Scott Sio = 115kg
Angus Bell = 118kg
Cameron Orr = 114kg
This is the true joy of being a front rower - where losing a couple of inches off the girth is frowned on.

Tom is clearly paying the price for his lack of devotion to beer & pizza. It’s a shame, but if you aren’t prepared to do the hard yards you miss out.

He should have lied more on his bio.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree Sully, we currently have decent locks available and a few with huge potential coming through, but isn't the thought of Arnold and Skelton, for example, a mouthwatering prospect? Definitely world class.

Reactions: dru

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Arnold, probably……….

Skelton, maybe not………

This current Wallabies team requires both locks to be proficient lineout jumpers.

Based on reviews from other European players and pundits, Skelton is allegedly a decent case for best player in the world right now on form.

One of his opponents the other week was interviewed and said something like "Thank Christ there's only one Will Skelton" or something.

Anywho, your comment comes off as quite naive. Moving on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Based on reviews from other European players and pundits, Skelton is allegedly a decent case for best player in the world right now on form.

One of his opponents the other week was interviewed and said something like "Thank Christ there's only one Will Skelton" or something.

Anywho, your comment comes off as quite naive. Moving on.

Oh, please excuse my naivety oh wise European pundits………… I was unaware he was now the GREATEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD?!?!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t agree. Slim’s comment merely highlights that none of Hooper, Wilson nor Valetini are recognised jumpers. Rodda is probably the best jumping lock we have and isn’t in the squad. Neither is Hanigan, who is probably our best jumping flanker.

There was a recent article (by Nick Bishop I think) which highlighted that the French team don’t normally pick non-jumping flankers, which means that they can carry a lock or two who is there primarily as a lifter and occasional target, whereas the Australian & NZ style requires both locks to be primary targets.

If Skelton was available he may well be first picked, but I find it far more surprising that people continue to see an imperative to include OS based players on the basis of their form in the UK/France when previous selections have shown that is no guarantee they are going to be able to translate that ‘World best’ form here. Especially players who might throw out the balance of the existing side.

Hooper is locked in. One or both of Wilson & Valetini (or Nasirani) are highly likely.

Set piece at test level is vital.

Slim’s comment might swim against the tide - but I don’t see anything naive about it. If nothing else Skelton’s selection would likely require some rethink in two of 5, 6 & 8.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty much TSR, and in other news it sounds like Skelton got owned by the Arnolds in the Top 14 final…………

Skelton has undoubtedly been in career best form overseas, but his presence requires a shakeup in our backrow selection, and probably a severe weakening in those positions to accommodate him.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Which goes back to Sully’s comment. I don’t think our current lock options are too bad at all. Especially in comparison to the general standard for the last 10-15 years. Whereas our backrow options have the potential to be the best we’ve had since Wilson, Cockbain & Kefu were packing down together. Potential doesn’t win anything - all these guys bar Hooper still have a lot of improvement to do at test level - but if we are talking about parachuting guys back into the team all this stuff is relevant.

I’m not against Arnold or Skelton being called back into the side. And I would be interested to see Skelton again at test level given all the wraps he has been getting. Especially if Swinton and/or Wells can take their opportunity and really step up at test level. I just remain a bit sceptical that it would have the overall impact that many on here seem to think.

Reactions: dru