• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rugby Australia has drafted a hit list of champion NRL players for the 2025 British and Irish Lions tour and the 2027 World Cup which includes Sua'ali'i, Tom Trbojevic, Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Murray, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Matt Burton and Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

From Code Sports article about a $10m contract over 5 for Joey Sua'ali'i

Personally I think worth it, money in professional sport only ever going up and these guys are the best of the best.

https://www.codesports.com.au/rugby...l/news-story/a1c272bc0a1cb4d300d1ee36f1a7cd71
Sounds like bullshit to me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How TF they gunna pay Suaalli $10m? That's like half their annual budget.

I suspect the Aussie Rugby Foundation (or whatever) is a big player. They’d previously topped up Izzy and Poey and helped get the likes of Bell and Pollard as schoolboys.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I feel like they'll end up landing at least 1 or 2 of those players mentioned.

Burton I thought was gone, signing with Doggies long term, but if he's still on the table he would be my #1 signing from that group.

Next of course Sua'ali'i, but I'm honestly not a fan of long term deals. $10M over 5 years is a big chunk of change and contract length. I would love if all the RA contracts were a default position of 2 years + 1 year team option. And for marquee signings like Sua'ali'i you could do 3 years + 1 year team option.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Many people. It hasn’t helped that locking combos and hookers seem to change every week
Thanks TT, I think you have touched on what the problem is. If many are responsible nobody is accountable. I assumed it was Dan McKellar as the forwards coach. I'm wondering, if he is not responsible for scrums and many are responsible for lineouts, Fisher has the D and I presume the breakdown what exactly does McKellar have responsibility for?
Just asking...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thanks TT, I think you have touched on what the problem is. If many are responsible nobody is accountable. I assumed it was Dan McKellar as the forwards coach. I'm wondering, if he is not responsible for scrums and many are responsible for lineouts, Fisher has the D and I presume the breakdown what exactly does McKellar have responsibility for?
Just asking...

Dave Rennie is the head coach...

Petrus du Plessis is the scrum coach...

Laurie Fisher is the defence coach...

Scott Wisemantel is the attack coach...

And Dan McKellar is the forwards and getting inside your head coach.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Just asking...
As far as Coaches go, the lineout would fall under the remit of the forwards coach
I find it hard to blame him considering the hooker and both locks have been selection turnstiles this year

and considering he and Fisher are new additions to the coaching staff, seems odd they are instant targets

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The press report I read said that Rugby Australia would only be interested in players with a background in real rugby. There are a few of those around, I doubt that Latrell is one of them. No more trying to teach imports the ins and outs of our game, thanks.
Good to hear!