• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I just read this press report, and the first question I had was...

Where are they going to get the fucking money to jag these leaguies to play union?! And who will suffer if they succeed?

Grassroots and community rugby for sure...

On one hand it would be great to see these guys playing our code, but why can't these muppets at Rugby Australia HQ come up with original decisions and a clear strategy to foster and grow the game?

O'Neill did this same tactic back in the early 2000's with Tuquiri, Sailor and Rogers - and they all eventually went back to League
I'd say they got pretty good bang for their buck with those 3, particularly the first 2, in terms of increased interest in rugby. Even taking into account the ends of their times in rugby.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
It's a double-edged sword. Maybe great for the game in terms of exposure although if I'm a young kid finishing up at a rugby school at the moment and play both sports I'm heading to the NRL and wait for RA to come knocking with riches. It may impact on the grass roots with the dominant kids

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a double-edged sword. Maybe great for the game in terms of exposure although if I'm a young kid finishing up at a rugby school at the moment and play both sports I'm heading to the NRL and wait for Rugby Australia to come knocking with riches. It may impact on the grass roots with the dominant kids
They're offering top dollar for the best in the game, not just for being an NRL player.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sau’alii is a physical freak. The way he man handles grown men at his age is amazing. Incredible in the air also. Yes please
Great player, but not worth the purported wage and I have concerns about his moral compass

He a takes a deal to get him through school, then signs with another club while shopping himself around, now the shopping starts again

yeh, nah

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Great player, but not worth the purported wage and I have concerns about his moral compass

He a takes a deal to get him through school, then signs with another club while shopping himself around, now the shopping starts again

yeh, nah
I can agree with what your saying but I can also look at it from the point of view that he is a professional athlete and they knew he would be from a young age so he is trying to make the most money he can. All of his contract dealings have gone through proper channels. I haven't seen him walk out of a deal like SBW or kick stones during negotiations like many do until they get there way. I'm not aware of any on field or off field actions that have been disappointing either.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Souths paid for his ride, instead of signing for them, he shopped himself around, he was never a "rugby" player, like Penisini's, schooling paid by the Eels
Is there proof of that? I would've thought Kings paid for his schooling.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is there proof of that? I would've thought Kings paid for his schooling.
I believe I read it at the time, I don't know whether it was a full ride or a partial, there is a number NRL clubs ponying up for private school educations for promising players

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Souths had every chance to re sign/upgrade him if they thought he was worth it. If a player isn't showing production the NRL clubs won't show loyalty either and just keep you on the books. Clubs, Agents and Players are always in a fine balance. If Sua'ali'i has followed the rules in negotiating I cant blame him at the end of the day. Souths released him because they couldn't/wouldn't match the Roosters offer apparently.

He has about 15 years to make as much money as possible and you can't blame a player if the system allows it. I personally hate the way the NRL allows contracts to be decided from Nov 1 in the current year for the year after next but I know if I was a player I would be looking as to where I can make as much for as long as I can.

The fact these kids are gone to Rugby before they really even start is the shit part that needs to be addressed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From what I understand, Souths didn't offer him a get-out clause to go to rugby where as the Roosters did (on the belief that once he was in Bondi he'd want to stay long term).

The money was around the same.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
From what I understand, Souths didn't offer him a get-out clause to go to rugby where as the Roosters did (on the belief that once he was in Bondi he'd want to stay long term).

The money was around the same.
He wants the chance to play in the World Cup so wanted a get out clause in his contract, south’s didn’t offer that.

I have actually spent some time with Joseph. He is a very humble, hard working, diligent young man. For people to call out his moral compass, because he wanted to make sure he could chase other opportunities is a bit ridiculous.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
He wants the chance to play in the World Cup so wanted a get out clause in his contract, south’s didn’t offer that.

I have actually spent some time with Joseph. He is a very humble, hard working, diligent young man. For people to call out his moral compass, because he wanted to make sure he could chase other opportunities is a bit ridiculous.

Most sensible thing I have read on the topic

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Souths paid for his ride, instead of signing for them, he shopped himself around, he was never a "rugby" player, like Penisini's, schooling paid by the Eels
I'm not sure "he" was doing this, so much as his agent.

Pretty hard to put the blame on a kid who has no doubt been pushed into a bigger/better/longer contract by his agent et al. and is probably just doing what he's been led to believe is the right move

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm not sure "he" was doing this, so much as his agent.

Pretty hard to put the blame on a kid who has no doubt been pushed into a bigger/better/longer contract by his agent et al. and is probably just doing what he's been led to believe is the right move
I think I read somewhere that his family manages his affairs?