• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I feel like they'll end up landing at least 1 or 2 of those players mentioned.

Burton I thought was gone, signing with Doggies long term, but if he's still on the table he would be my #1 signing from that group.

Next of course Sua'ali'i, but I'm honestly not a fan of long term deals. $10M over 5 years is a big chunk of change and contract length. I would love if all the Rugby Australia contracts were a default position of 2 years + 1 year team option. And for marquee signings like Sua'ali'i you could do 3 years + 1 year team option.
Sign him for 3 years to super and aru top up with sabbatical for up to two years in Japan provided he plays RC and one of spring tour and incoming fall tour.
He makes $1.5 or something first three years and then aru top him up $500k to
Play those tests and Panasonic or someone fronts him $1-1.5M a year.
Who is turning that down?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Plus they take a slice of his contract.

I know in the afl player managers don't take a cut out of a draftee's 1st contract, which is a set rate pending on what number you get drafted at. Clubs can't even negotiate only extend then a manger would get 2-5%, you'd hope NRL & Rugby agents would do something similar out of good fair to young footballers.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Sign him for 3 years to super and aru top up with sabbatical for up to two years in Japan provided he plays RC and one of spring tour and incoming fall tour.
He makes $1.5 or something first three years and then aru top him up $500k to
Play those tests and Panasonic or someone fronts him $1-1.5M a year.
Who is turning that down?

He basiclly got offered this when he signed at the roosters because he wasnt old enough to play nrl.

its was around 800k, signed till the lions tour with an option to play for the tahs at 17 then go to the Olympics & possibly the rwc. I think he had a meeting with Horan to win him over

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Rothfield in the DT reported that Sua'ali'i has signed with former banned agent Isaac Moses. It's Rothfield so it's probably fiction. If it is true, I don't think hitching his wagon to an agent like Moses is a wise move.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Player agents are such a waste of money, it's not like they're entertainment agents who constantly get them gigs. It's a deal every couple of years. No idea why players can't just handle it themselves or pay a contract lawyer a one-off fee to sort it. Much better than 10% of their salary going to them or whatever it is.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Player agents are such a waste of money, it's not like they're entertainment agents who constantly get them gigs. It's a deal every couple of years. No idea why players can't just handle it themselves or pay a contract lawyer a one-off fee to sort it. Much better than 10% of their salary going to them or whatever it is.

That’s nice if your established player who can work out your next deal.

If you don’t have a agent and your looking offshore. It will take a pretty impressive YouTube reel to get your foot in the door abroad.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Rothfield in the DT reported that Sua'ali'i has signed with former banned agent Isaac Moses. It's Rothfield so it's probably fiction. If it is true, I don't think hitching his wagon to an agent like Moses is a wise move.

Sounds to me he is setting himself up in the sydney bubble linking himself to Moses, not the move you would make if you were thinking of spreading your personal brand global.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
Souths had every chance to re sign/upgrade him if they thought he was worth it. If a player isn't showing production the NRL clubs won't show loyalty either and just keep you on the books. Clubs, Agents and Players are always in a fine balance. If Sua'ali'i has followed the rules in negotiating I cant blame him at the end of the day. Souths released him because they couldn't/wouldn't match the Roosters offer apparently.

He has about 15 years to make as much money as possible and you can't blame a player if the system allows it. I personally hate the way the NRL allows contracts to be decided from Nov 1 in the current year for the year after next but I know if I was a player I would be looking as to where I can make as much for as long as I can.

The fact these kids are gone to Rugby before they really even start is the shit part that needs to be addressed.
Except talk is that RA is now planning to target NRL players. What a kick in the guts to players who stayed true and followed the pathway!! Seems like the answer to the question, “how do you get a million dollar RA contract”, is GO TO THE NRL!!!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...Bjz50HGTmJ8D0lCLB58rU-72I4SimE8ebvvX-BKnCKBEU

Reactions: Ged

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Great player, but not worth the purported wage and I have concerns about his moral compass

He a takes a deal to get him through school, then signs with another club while shopping himself around, now the shopping starts again

yeh, nah

Given your own comments on Folau and the Manly 7/LGBTQ, maybe you should assess your own moral compass before questioning others.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Sua'ali'i will come to rugby, I have no doubt. As to when and for how much, that is the question. He will probably be a Kangaroo by the end of the year....Dual International option plus a rugby World Cup in Sydney in 2027. Barring injury he will be there, Uncle Nick or not!

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Ha ha! I was semi-serious - I have no idea what reputable player agents actually do, besides contracts.
Sponsorships, media etc, but the bread and butter is the contracts. They are there to get the best deal for the players possible. It's easy to say that a player should just deal with the clubs. With no experience in negotiating they'd just get low balled and sign shitty contracts. There's a lot of money at stake. Businesses of size use insurance brokers instead of doing their own insurance. Most people on substantial income use an accountant to do their tax to minimise the amount they pay and pay the accountant for thev ervice. They also allow the players to just concentrate on their playing/training and let the agent do the negotiating. A lot of time and effort goesvin to negotiating. Unfortunately it's been a poorly regulated business, but a necessary evil

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Reported on nrl360 tonight that Joe signed a 4 year deal with the roosters over souths because he has the option to renegotiate after every year. He didn't have a manager when he signed the deal & it was hinted that he was getting advise though Moses who was deregistered at the time. I dare say that this clause was put in purely for this reason now, not to come to rugby but he will use the offer to bulster any nrl deal just like Jordy Barrett & so many ab's have done over the time in the opposite direction. Joseph is commited to the rooster in 2023.

Also being floated is that if Redcliffe dont get munster that they will move everything they possible can to get him.