• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Will need to. How long, I wonder?
I drink most of my decent Reds after 8 years and need to be out of them by 10-12 years. There are exceptions but I find this works well for me.
Also, I only buy dozens as I have had some shocks with ageing - including myself!!!!!!

I have a 1998 Wendouree Shiraz waiting for a big event which has not come. I just decided to throw the towel in last week and will have BBQ with Wagu steaks supplied by my neighbour (a master of the BBQ) and a good mate of mine (backrower in subbies). I am old and could be dead before we get the Bled back.
Sold the last 3 of my Grange 1998 a couple of years ago and don't regret it, bought a large amount of good reds with the money to replace them.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
And we wonder why the game is losing touch with the common man, 90% of the posters on here have wine cellars!
Having a chat with a rough-as-guts guy who does clean-ups around building sites and he has a cellar as well. It's not as elitist as you suggest.. Australia is the cheapest country on the planet to have a decent cellar. You just need some cheap stuff for about 3-4 years and put the $20+ stuff down for a while. That's what I did, we bottled 2OO from 25litre containers and although I was sick of it after a while if allowed me to make a start.....

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Will need to. How long, I wonder?

Unless its something really really special I buy 4 nice bottles a year & keep them for a decade rolling them over. A couple of hidden gems in the hunter & heathcote as well. I have a couple of 20-25 year bottles i am keeping as well. I also like buying a carton of six mid range price wise & opening 1 a yr to see how the flavor changes.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have a couple of Magill Estates, not Barossa but a single vineyard shiraz from Penfolds in Adelaide (no longer available I understand), and a few Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier waiting for a RWC or Bledisloe victory.
Drank a bit of the Magill in my time, nothing post-working. Clonakilla is out of my $$$$ league. No wonder rugby is going to the dogs you are all pissed on some of the best wines in Australia!

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
I have a couple of Magill Estates, not Barossa but a single vineyard shiraz from Penfolds in Adelaide (no longer available I understand), and a few Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier waiting for a RWC or Bledisloe victory.
Magill Estate Shiraz is still produced in small quantities as it is produced from the original Penfolds Magill Estate in Adelaide. Current 2020 vintage sold out, but 2018 still available on Penfolds website.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I drink most of my decent Reds after 8 years and need to be out of them by 10-12 years. There are exceptions but I find this works well for me.
Also, I only buy dozens as I have had some shocks with ageing - including myself!!!!!!

I have a 1998 Wendouree Shiraz waiting for a big event which has not come. I just decided to throw the towel in last week and will have BBQ with Wagu steaks supplied by my neighbour (a master of the BBQ) and a good mate of mine (backrower in subbies). I am old and could be dead before we get the Bled back.
Sold the last 3 of my Grange 1998 a couple of years ago and don't regret it, bought a large amount of good reds with the money to replace them.
My brother-in-law bought one bottle of Grange from every vintage for a long time (he has stopped now). He and my sister broached one many years ago for my birthday. It was nothing special, to my uninformed palate.

The thing that knocks me out about the Grange cult is that you can take your bottles to get "serviced" or whatever they call it!

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My brother-in-law bought on bottle of Grange from every vintage for a long time (he has stopped now). He and my sister broached on many years ago for my birthday. It was nothing special, to my uninformed palate.

The thing that knocks me out about the Grange cult is that you can take your bottles to get "serviced" or whatever they call it!

Test that it hasn't spoiled, top it up, seal and re-certify. Been a long time since I've tried Grange. There's no need to spend the cash unless you're a serious collector.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Years ago I was at a mates place celebrating his getting to captain as a commercial pilot. We were all chatting, I was drinking beer, was offered a glass of wine, took it and was going twin fisted. Everyone went a bit quiet, I didn’t realise the glass of wine was from a nice bottle of grange to celebrate his achievement. Once I realised I instantly shelved the beer. Bit embarrassing, the wine was nice though. We still laugh about it

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
My brother-in-law bought on bottle of Grange from every vintage for a long time (he has stopped now). He and my sister broached on many years ago for my birthday. It was nothing special, to my uninformed palate.

For me grange is a bucket list thing, too many other good wines to try! But each to their own.

I like drinking wines watching the wallabies from either the country we are playing or the region the games in. My better half loves doing the research & doesn’t even like rugby (unless it’s womens)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For me grange is a bucket list thing, too many other good wines to try! But each to their own.

I like drinking wines watching the wallabies from either the country we are playing or the region the games in. My better half loves doing the research & doesn’t even like rugby (unless it’s womens)

So malt for the next test? Gin for England, Stout for Ireland. France and Italy open the opportunity for decent red. Wales? The ale was OK but I'd suggest reverting to an Aussie red.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So malt for the next test? Gin for England, Stout for Ireland. France and Italy open the opportunity for decent red. Wales? The ale was OK but I'd suggest reverting to an Aussie red.

So your not suggesting setting the alarm nice & early & drowning a Pint of brains to get me going? hahahahaha

I think the Italy test is at 11pm so could uncork something from Tuscany, oh & I could drink a 5am Guinness

Reactions: dru

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Back to the rugby.

Marinos reckons 3/5 is a "pass mark" - not sure what planet that comes from. I suppose Scotland & Wales outside the test window are there for the taking (+Italy), but I thought similar last year

You wouldn't say it's the likely outcome based on results in 2022 and the ever-increasing injury list

I have a sinking feeling that one of France or Ireland could drop the hammer.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm with Marinos here. I don't think 5/5 is in any way realistic, especially given that Ireland and France are several levels above us in recent times. I think we'll get well beaten in both games. If we nick one I'll be stoked.

The other three on the other hand I think we've got a real shot to win all of them.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
The current squad isn't fantastic and it's hard to evaluate which side will turn up. So many games have been marked by injury, cards, game changing officiating and inconsistency.

It isn't hard to picture the team going 1-4, but it wouldn't totally shock me if they get their act together and go 4-1 either.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I threw the wine towel in after I retired 20 years ago. Had an amazing bottle of Grange in the 80''s and enjoyed the occasional one. Bought 6 of the 98 and was disappointed in the 4 I drank. I was invited to a Len Evans wine tasting in 97? and that was a massive eye-opener regarding Grange and Aussie's best v French 1st cru.
I will open a good one IF we get to the semi's of the RWC. That would be an amazing achievement considering where we are.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Back to the rugby.

Marinos reckons 3/5 is a "pass mark" - not sure what planet that comes from. I suppose Scotland & Wales outside the test window are there for the taking (+Italy), but I thought similar last year

You wouldn't say it's the likely outcome based on results in 2022 and the ever-increasing injury list

I have a sinking feeling that one of France or Ireland could drop the hammer.

do you think that Marinos should have said "We're aiming to win 1 game and we'll be happy if we achieve that"?