• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Worth noting our record against other teams the first time we met them this year is excellent - 3-1, with the loss being a very close one to New Zealand. Obviously the second/third meetings didn't go the same way, but given we only play each side once on tour we may perform better than we have overall, avoiding the 2nd game "backlash" we just haven't been able to handle this year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Skelton played 67 minutes overnight, coming off an 80 min performance. He should be reasonably fit for the French match.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Realistically we're sketchy for 2 wins at most, but I can't see Marinos saying otherwise. I'd say the team has been given a goal to meet and now it's out there.

But as one of those boy band singers that I ignored throughout the 90's said "you gotta have faith"

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Worth noting our record against other teams the first time we met them this year is excellent - 3-1, with the loss being a very close one to New Zealand. Obviously the second/third meetings didn't go the same way, but given we only play each side once on tour we may perform better than we have overall, avoiding the 2nd game "backlash" we just haven't been able to handle this year.

Love the take and could be something in it. I think both Ireland and France are long shots, but then so were NZ and Springboks and we took 1 each.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
do you think that Marinos should have said "We're aiming to win 1 game and we'll be happy if we achieve that"?
I understand his obligations from a PR perspective, but he probably shouldn't have put a number on it really. Could've said something along the lines of 'we aim to and believe we can win every game we play'; but there's something to be said for realistic goals and expectations, and 3/5 is probably towards the optimistic end of realistic

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I understand his obligations from a PR perspective, but he probably shouldn't have put a number on it really. Could've said something along the lines of 'we aim to and believe we can win every game we play'; but there's something to be said for realistic goals and expectations, and 3/5 is probably towards the optimistic end of realistic

I assume it was in response to a direct question, which you're not going to wriggle out of with a non-answer without digging yourself a hole for the media to bury you in...

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I assume it was in response to a direct question, which you're not going to wriggle out of with a non-answer without digging yourself a hole for the media to bury you in...
No doubt, and I should've clarified that's half what I meant by 'obligations', but naming a number (especially an optimistic one) is not only digging yourself a hole, it's marking it with orange paint and preparing the inscription for the headstone.

If 3/5 is the publicly stated pass mark - not even a 'good outcome' - it's only fuelling the potential for disappointment.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
No doubt, and I should've clarified that's half what I meant by 'obligations', but naming a number (especially an optimistic one) is not only digging yourself a hole, it's marking it with orange paint and preparing the inscription for the headstone.

If 3/5 is the publicly stated pass mark - not even a 'good outcome' - it's only fuelling the potential for disappointment.
I wonder what has been said to Rennie regarding 3 out of 5 being a pass mark. Passing what? His time as an Aussie coach.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Laurie Fisher did the media rounds the other day... some choice quotes:

“We looked at one clip from the second Argentina Test, which is really just about work rate, about communication – like our hands on knees, like line speed. Edges not pushing edges. Lazy,” Fisher told reporters.

“I saw one clip from that game and said ‘this can’t be us, if that’s us, we may as well not go to the World Cup. We’ve got nothing.’

“That’s my starting point. And we had one moment in the New Zealand game that very much reflected that Argentinian moment. So I showed that again and said ‘listen, boys, unacceptable.’

“Your carry, your groundwork, your cleanout, your tackle quality, your catch-pass ability. If you do those things well, you’re going to be consistent,” Fisher said.

“And then you’re going to have moments of execution that are going to be fantastic. But the key to consistency is doing the simple things, the basics of the game well – when you train, when you play, every single time.

“It takes time, across five Super Rugby sides, to build a culture of that. We’ve hammered that hard at the Brumbies for many years. The Brumbies are built on basics. We are fucking built on basics. That’s us we do that well.

“I have a belief that with 10 minutes ago in any game of rugby. If you’ve executed the basics well you’re a chance of winning.”

“As coaches, we have to have a good hard look at it and say ‘what is important, how do we allocate our training time? We can be better in that. And we will be – quality drills, demand accuracy, and repetition from players and we’ll make improvements.

“Discipline is an oft-talked-about thing in our game. If you’re good in front-end collisions, if you’re good around the breakdown you’re not giving away penalties. You’re not under pressure.

“If you’re getting in front defensively and not slacking you’re not giving away offside penalties. This tour is all about developing our basics, valuing our basics, and bedding all that down. Ground zero. We’re going to get that right and we’re going grow from there.”

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Doesn't give you much confidence when they got a spray after the 2nd Arg Test, bounced back and then reverted to type immediately after. The inability for them to be consistent is so infuriating.
It's the worst part of being a Wobbly supporter

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I wonder what has been said to Rennie regarding 3 out of 5 being a pass mark. Passing what? His time as an Aussie coach.
There is zero point in getting rid of Rennie since RA cannot afford the payout.

I wouldn't mind if he fell on his sword though if the Wallabies only win against Italy & then RA hires Jake White.

White's focus on basics, defense, keeping it simple and using the strengths of the players to determine any game-plans means IMO the Wallabies would perform better at the RWC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) had one bad game off the bench v the poms and was dropped never to return, so yes Dave has set a precedent, Skelton must perform out of skin 3 games straight or it's over for him.

He was dropped after we got flogged by Argentina in the second test.

I wouldn't mind if he fell on his sword though if the Wallabies only win against Italy & then Rugby Australia hires Jake White.

White's focus on basics, defense, keeping it simple and using the strengths of the players to determine any game-plans means IMO the Wallabies would perform better at the RWC.

Would you offer Jake White a five year contract?

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)