• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Just imagine if Eddie gets Michael Maguire...
Goodness gracious me - will somebody, anybody.. please... think of these poor Wallabies players??? Everyone knows Maguire is another toxic high-intensity old-fashioned coach, the same as Eddie, outdated, out-of-touch, and irrelevant - so clearly they were made for each other I suppose Lol. Maguire infamously lost the dressing room at the Tigers was caught on tape hurling stuff across the changing shed and berating his players at halftime. I can tell you right now, the players are going to sorely miss Rennie's thoughtful empathetic approach and collected calm demeanor by the end of this season... Eddie Jones and Michael Maguire together are a cocktail for unmitigated dressing room disaster!

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Goodness gracious me - will somebody, anybody.. please... think of these poor Wallabies players??? Everyone knows Maguire is another toxic high intensity old fashioned coach, the same as Eddie, outdated, out-of-touch, and irrelevant - so clearly they are made for each other I suppose? Maguire infamously lost the dressing room at the Tigers was caught on tape hurling stuff across the changing shed and berating his players at halftime. I can tell you right now, the players are going to sorely miss Rennie's thoughtful empathetic approach and collected calm demeanor by the end of this season... Eddie Jones and Michael Maguire are a cocktail for unmitigated dressing room disaster!
lol.. nah I’ve actually worked with Maguire and he is not as you describe him from behind your keyboard, he is a very good coach and was the key driver behind turning the Rabbitohs back into finals contenders and their first premiership in over 40 years, he was well liked by the playing roster their.

West Tigers are the dumpster fire of the NRL, all entitlement and no effort, i’m not surprised he lost the dressing room given that playing groups culture.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unsure how much coaching he did during his time in Queensland Reg! That 92-3 loss is still burnt in my brain.
And yet, despite that, Genia recently described him as the best coach he ever had and reckons Cooper would probably say the same.

Reactions: Ged

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
And yet, despite that, Genia recently described him as the best coach he ever had and reckons Cooper would probably say the same.
Depending if you want to play semantics;

"Favourite" coach is Eddie Jones - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...mes-team-mates-and-coach-20150612-ghm88i.html

"Best" coach is Michael Chieka - https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/08/...nnects-and-what-went-down-in-salta-explosion/

It's also possible that in 2015, Eddie was Will's choice in best coach, but like my daughter, her choice changes in bestest toy every week.

Reactions: TSR

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I can tell you for a fact Quade still exchanges Valentine's cards with his favourite coach Robbie yearly, as does Giteau...

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
lol.. nah I’ve actually worked with Maguire and he is not as you describe him from behind your keyboard, he is a very good coach and was the key driver behind turning the Rabbitohs back into finals contenders and their first premiership in over 40 years, he was well liked by the playing roster their.
Mate I don't even follow Mungoball but a quick google search indicates his coaching style not being a good fit for the modern game especially with the younger generation of Wallabies coming through. Maybe he's an alright coach, but Trent Barrett could've coached Souths to that premiership. They pretty much ran themselves by that point. Maguire is a good coach if he has a great team, what he isn't is a coach that can build a team. It pays to note that even Anthony Seibold had great success coaching Souths before going and leading the Broncos to the most comprehensive drubbings in the franchise's history - A disaster tenure by every single metric. If Eddie wants to settle for mediocrity (again) with the coaching group around him then it'll probably just see a repeat of the last 3 seasons of his England stint. There are better alternatives from union out there - Peter Ryan, Phil Blake, Jason Gilmore, Simon Cron, etc.. to coach the Australian defence - some of them will already have an intimate understanding of current Wallabies players.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Anyways…

When do they plan on holding the John Eales Medal for last year?
I haven't heard anything, but if last year is any indication it should be about now.

Is anyone a chance of beating Valetini for it? Slipper, Ala'alatoa or Ikitau maybe, but I feel like none of the other contenders played enough rugby this year to pass him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting Ghost. Len Ikitau was the only player to earn GAGR player points in all EOYT tests.

Nick Frost scored in four tests which is pretty admirable for a new comer, but Nawaqanitawase topped him while only scoring in two tests.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
It’s surely got to be either Valetini or Ikitau.

I wouldn’t be surprised though if Len beats Bobby V to it as he played pretty much every game, so it might be a consistency v rampaging Sasquatch situation.

We’ve no chance at the WC without both of them on the pitch.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
So, you've just got a vibe huh?
I don't go on vibes bro, I draw my conclusions based on impartial unbiased objective FACT.

I can assure you there's no preconceived agenda to find with me, it's pure neutrality - there's absolutely no emotion or sentiment whatsoever attached to my position, after all being a Kiwi - I am merely a dispassionate observer on here...

Last edited: